55 Gallon Goldfish Filter Advice

Leah Beaver
My plans for this tank is to have 4 fancy goldfish, with no substrate.
I know I want HOB Aquaclear Filters, but I am not sure which to buy.
I know that fancy goldies don't really like a huge amount of airflow, but that they also need a lot of filtration.
Canister Filters kinda scare me, and honestly I don't have the space for it. I am putting this thing in my bedroom (carpet, yikes lol), and paying for it by myself (i'm still in high school), so it is not very practical for me, especially if it breaks and needs replacing.
Anyway should I go with:
A) one AC 110: 500 gph
B) two AC 70: 600 gph together
I don't know if the 110 will be too strong of water flow, and if I choose the 70's if it will help balance out the flow by placing them on opposite sides? Would it still be too strong?
I also plan to use sponge filters for extra biological filtration. With, say 4 sponge filters (or whatever), can I reduce the gph?
Thanks for the help, this is my first goldie tank and I have basically no realistic idea of how much waste they produce besides "a lot."
I plan to do 50% water changes every week, so less filtration may not be a problem?

TexasDomer
I would argue that canister filters are less problematic and scary than HOBs. They can be stored underneath the tank, so they don't take up much room. So don't be scared away from them just because of that! I got mine cheaply because I got them used - high quality brands too!

I would go with 2 AC 70s because of the higher GPH and because spacing the filters out will help with water flow throughout the whole tank. The 110 wouldn't be too strong though.

With goldies, I wouldn't bother with sponge filters. They really don't provide as much mechanical filtration. If you do go with them, I wouldn't reduce the GPH of the filters.

50% water changes may or may not be enough to keep the nitrates low. Goldies are poopy!

Leah Beaver
If I did get a canister filter, would I be able to get a low priced one? I CANNOT go over $150... something that won't break and then Ill just have to replace and spend more money.... I have a part time job, so I can't splurge as much as I want (and I want, believe me!)

TexasDomer
Some people like SunSuns, and those are cheap. I'm not a huge fan because I got one that was so noisy.

I bought an Eheim Pro 3e 2074 for $100 and a Fluval 405 for $50. I took my time and hunted around for used canister filter deals. The Eheim was barely used (around a month) and the Fluval was never used.

Leah Beaver
I found a sunsun canister that was under $85 that filters 525 gph so I think I might add a small 50 AC HOB for $40 that filters about 200 gph with it. I had no idea that canisters could be the same price as a HOB! Hopefully it works out, and that way the facies aren't stressed out with tons of air flow. Do canisters disrupt the water a lot, compared to HOB? The change is still kinda intimidating. Thank you for all the help. I don't really mind the noise as much, I actually find it relaxing sometimes. And I planning on getting ADF frogs, which will chirp anyways scarifies, right XD

TexasDomer
The flow of the canister depends on the original GPH and the amount of media in the filter (more media will slow the GPH). It doesn't create air flow though - no bubbles should be coming out. And you can put the output below the surface of the water so it swirls it around, but it doesn't need to break the surface like HOBs do.

I don't mind some noise (I sleep with two air pumps and 3 sponge filters in my room now), but something was very wrong with the one I got - it was a super loud, grating noise.

Are you going to add the frogs in the same tank as the goldies? I have some catfish that chirp - it's quite cute!

Leah Beaver
Hmm...I think I will try it still and see how it goes. I will be doing mostly mechanical filtration, and honestly can't afford a really expensive one. If I can find a deal, then maybe a quieter one. But I am not very patient (something this hobby is teaching me to be lol!)
Do you remember specifically which sunsun model you got?

And no, the ADFs will get a separate ten gallon, don't want them to be lunch

TexasDomer
No, sorry, don't remember what size I got. Not all are noisy, so hopefully yours won't be!

Domenico Petrillo
I’d do the two 70’s and a canister. Marineland is a good choice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mgstein
Replies
Views
tedisabum
Replies
Views
jenmur
Replies
Views