55 gallon freshwater....can't decide fish???

SMurray

Hello. I just recently set up a 55 gallon freshwater tank. I am trying to fishless cycle. In the meantime, I have been researching fish. I am so undecided! I want lots of fish, but I don't want lots of small fish Lol

I love dwarf gourami, bright colored cichlids, rainbow fish, and electric blue acara. I would like to have a mix of these with a centerpiece fish and possibly a couple schools of smaller fish and some bottom feeders and maybe a couple snails. It's so hard to decide!

Looking for suggestions!

SamMe

I have a rainbow cichlid as a centerpiece fish in a 55 gallon. She's colorful, gets along with all the other fish, and uses all regions of the tank. They only reach about 3", though. Idk if you're looking for something bigger. I have electric blue acara on order for a tank because I've heard they are really nice as well, but currently have no personal experience with them.

Attachments

• 20211121_160118.jpg
    20211121_160118.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 10

SMurray

She is pretty! I think my problem is that I like too many medium to large sized fish but not ready for a huge tank! Lol

What other fish do you have in your tank besides the rainbow cichlid?

SamMe

Lol, I'm the wrong one to ask as I'm having some problems with compatibility right now and have been on another thread trying to work them out. The rainbow is not the problem, however. I have a 55 gal. that was originally a community tank. Most of the inhabitants have died of old age and I am wanting to switch to a CA/SA tank and eventually upgrade to a larger tank. I have 4 harlequin rasboras, 1 rummynose tetra, 1 siamese algae eater, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 2 nerite snails left from old stock. Last fall I added a firemouth cichlid and later my rainbow. The rainbow is peaceful and gets along with everybody. In fact the SAE, which used to hide, is out and about since I got her. The problem is the firemouth. He is bullying her and if it continues I will have to rehome him. :(

Wayne73

Get yourself a good number of tiger barbs.Hardy fish not the biggest at full size. But great fun to watch once they're established.

Spinich

The world is your oyster. The firemouth is the kink in the chain I think, seems like everyone else would play nice together and you can stock it as a community tank.

SMurray

I love the appearance of the electric blue acara. But I also love dwarf gourami, rainbow fish, and colorful cichlids! I'm not a huge fan of really small fish, but I do want a school or two of something as well as some corys and snails.

SamMe

Haha, it's kinda like a candy store. Hmmmmm, what to choose, what to choose........?:p

SMurray

My 55 gallon freshwater tank will hopefully be finished cycling soon, and I can't decide what I want Lol
The main ones I'm drawn to are Cichlids, Dwarf Gouramis, and the Electric Blue Acara.
Out of those, what's everyone's favorite?
If you have any of those, what do you have in your tank with them?

carsonsgjs

I think most people tend to warn against dwarf gouramis - they don’t seem to be as healthy as other species. There are other gouramis out there though for that size tank.

Plenty of cichlid species for you to choose from too (including electric blue acaras). Really comes down to what fish you like, the kind of tank you want (general community, biotope etc) and your water parameters though (ph and hardness). Some fish are relatively unfussy but some require certain conditions in order to thrive.

SMurray

I've started researching some. I want a comunity tank with as many colorful fish as possible, but I don't want just a bunch of small fish. I want bigger fish too....I'm trying to figure out the right mix. It's hard to decide when they're all so pretty.
I thought about just picking my centerpiece(s) and then stocking around that gradually. But I'm not sure if it's better to put the bigger fish in first or the smaller schooling fish in first.

I want easy to keep alive, colorful fish with personality. So, I guess that's my goal.

TClare

I would probably get the smaller, colourful fish first then the bigger "personality fish". bit later, although its probably not critical. If you choose electric blue acara (or the original blue acara which are very attractive), or similar sized cichlids, you need to get tetras or similar that are relatively big and/or deep bodied or they are likely to get eaten. You can have smaller tetras with dwarf cichlids or keyhole cichlids. Most cichlids are very interactive and have the "personality" you are looking for. I do not have much experience with gouramis so won't comment on those. What are your water parameters, particularly pH and hardness? Do you intend to have a planted tank? What other type of decor and substrate will you use? These are important factors that will affect the best choice of species.

SMurray

This is my tank. I don't have live plants. Also, right now while it's going through the cycle, the PH is around 8.2...I've also checked my tap PH which is close to the same. There isn't a huge difference.
I don't know the hardness because that didn't come with my API Master Test Kit, and I haven't bought one. But I live in the country and have well water.

Attachments

• 20220122_114024.jpg
    20220122_114024.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 8

TClare

This is my tank. I don't have live plants. Also, right now while it's going through the cycle, the PH is around 8.2...I've also checked my tap PH which is close to the same. There isn't a huge difference.
I don't know the hardness because that didn't come with my API Master Test Kit, and I haven't bought one. But I live in the country and have well water.
With that pH you would do better with Central American cichlids, maybe a convict, or for less aggressive species some rainbow cichlids or Amatitlania nanolutea (yellow convicts). You could have some colourful swordtails with them maybe.

SMurray

That's not something I've researched a lot because I thought they were aggressive and that you can't really mix them in a community tank.

Dewclaw83

I want easy to keep alive, colorful fish with personality. So, I guess that's my goal.
Have you looked into rainbowfish? There are several species that have a variety of colors, and there are both larger species (4-6 inches) and smaller ones (1.5-3 inches) so whichever type of community you're going for, there's options. I have found them to be exceptionally hardy and pretty personable for schooling fish.

Another good option are platys (or mollys) - they have a wide variety of colors available, are somewhat hardy, and are very personable. They are livebearers though, so if you want to avoid babies, get all males (females may already be pregnant and can store sperm for months, and males don't bicker as much when there's no females to compete for)

TClare

That's not something I've researched a lot because I thought they were aggressive and that you can't really mix them in a community tank.
Convicts are aggressive but rainbows and yellow convicts should be fine with some smaller fish.

SMurray

Have you looked into rainbowfish? There are several species that have a variety of colors, and there are both larger species (4-6 inches) and smaller ones (1.5-3 inches) so whichever type of community you're going for, there's options. I have found them to be exceptionally hardy and pretty personable for schooling fish.

Another good option are platys (or mollys) - they have a wide variety of colors available, are somewhat hardy, and are very personable. They are livebearers though, so if you want to avoid babies, get all males (females may already be pregnant and can store sperm for months, and males don't bicker as much when there's no females to compete for)
I've seen some pictures of Rainbowfish. I wasn't sure if you could combine species. I will definitely look into those more.
The closest place to buy fish for me is a PetSmart, so I basically look online to see what they have and then Google those. I have considered online ordering and mail delivery, but I'm not sure how well that works with live fish.

Dewclaw83

I've seen some pictures of Rainbowfish. I wasn't sure if you could combine species. I will definitely look into those more.
The closest place to buy fish for me is a PetSmart, so I basically look online to see what they have and then Google those. I have considered online ordering and mail delivery, but I'm not sure how well that works with live fish.
People say both that you should and shouldn't combine species for one school. They do definitely shoal together, and I initial decided (personally) not to mix species. I later tried adding two of different species to the school, and they seem to be fine thus far. It's up to you what you decide to do for it

Shipping fish is a very common practice and generally very safe :) I do it frequently lol

Petsmart carries the larger varieties of rainbowfish, as well as many colors of platy and molly (Though the options vary between locations)

Strider1520

I know that there are far better experts than me on fish stocking, but in my community tank , since we just have Petsmart and one lfs, I have an Angel as my centerpiece (and what a personality-greets you at the glass and follows you) and schools of tetras (glass bloodfin, neon and albino glow lights). A school of harlequin rasbora and a school of Corys to help with bottom cleaning and what characters they are. I have a total of 9 Cory with only 3 from original school-6 were born from eggs in tank. Everyone gets along with no aggression at all. Like I said, there are so many people that are more expert than I, but that’s my community and everyone gets along and most came from Petsmart. I tried the dwarf gourami but got 2 males from LFS and didn’t have any luck. Either they tore each other fins up or another fish or fin rot, but lost both within 2 weeks.

TClare

I have an Angel as my centerpiece (and what a personality-greets you at the glass and follows you) and schools of tetras (glass bloodfin, neon and albino glow lights). A school of harlequin rasbora and a school of Corys to help with bottom cleaning and what characters they are. I have a total of 9 Cory with only 3 from original school-6 were born from eggs in tank.
That is a nice stocking, but not really ideal for a pH over 8. I know people will say tank bred fish of most species can survive at this pH, but I believe it is not ideal for their long term health. Better to choose fish suited to hard water and high pH.

SMurray

Is there a possiblity that my tank PH will change once the fishless cycle is complete?

ProudPapa

My water is also 8.2 pH, and I'd like to second the nomination for rainbowfish. I have ten Lake Kutubu rainbowfish (also commonly called turquoise rainbowfish), and really like them. You said you want color and size, and rainbows fit the bill.

I don't really see anything wrong with mixing species. The biggest argument I've seen against it is the chances of getting undesirable hybrids, but as long as you don't sell or give away any offspring I don't see an issue with it.

I've seen rainbows at my local Petco and Pet Supplies Plus, but I don't believe I've ever seen them at PetSmart. As mentioned above, shipping shouldn't be a problem as long as you go with a reputable company, which shouldn't be a problem in this world where reviews are so readily available. Or any individually owned fish/aquarium store should have some.

SMurray

My water is also 8.2 pH, and I'd like to second the nomination for rainbowfish. I have ten Lake Kutubu rainbowfish (also commonly called turquoise rainbowfish), and really like them. You said you want color and size, and rainbows fit the bill.

I don't really see anything wrong with mixing species. The biggest argument I've seen against it is the chances of getting undesirable hybrids, but as long as you don't sell or give away any offspring I don't see an issue with it.

I've seen rainbows at my local Petco and Pet Supplies Plus, but I don't believe I've ever seen them at PetSmart. As mentioned above, shipping shouldn't be a problem as long as you go with a reputable company, which shouldn't be a problem in this world where reviews are so readily available. Or any individually owned fish/aquarium store should have some.
Do you have anything else with your rainbowfish?

ProudPapa

Do you have anything else with your rainbowfish?

Yes. I have schools of black neon tetras, lemon tetras, and panda corys. I think the colors of the rainbows and tetras all complement each other nicely. And I like the panda corys because . . . well, just because.

SMurray

I like the panda corys too. They just look cool to me. How big is your tank?

ProudPapa

I like the panda corys too. They just look cool to me. How big is your tank?

It's a 65. It's borderline not long enough for large rainbows, but it works. Your 55, being 12" longer, would be a good fit.

SMurray

I'm considering an angel or 2, some rainbows (not sure how many) , a school of Cory's, and maybe one more school of something. What y'all think?

Now it's time to figure out stocking. I know I want as many fish as possible -- so no huge fish. I want a community tank with colorful fish. I want a centerpiece fish or 2 and some schools and probably some cory's.

I've been considering some angels, rainbowfish, and/or Electric Blue Acara.

NEED IDEAS PLEASE

And what do I get first? The smaller fish? The centerpiece(s)?

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 16

KingOscar

I vote 1 spectacular angel for your centerpiece fish. Then one or maybe two groups of smaller fish. (depending on size) Plus Cory's of course. Angel first!

ProudPapa

You could do a group of one of the larger rainbowfish species, like turquoise or Boesmani, and let them be your centerpiece. Add in a school of tetras, rasboras, etc, and one of your favorite Corydoras species, and you'd have a nice tank.

I have a 65 gallon tank with ten turquoise rainbowfish, and around a dozen each of lemon tetras and black neon tetras. I think those colors complement each other nicely.

SMurray

I vote 1 spectacular angel for your centerpiece fish. Then one or maybe two groups of smaller fish. (depending on size) Plus Cory's of course. Angel first!
What about an Angel and Rainbows? Are they compatible? And then maybe a school of smaller fish and cory's? or would that be overloaded?
You could do a group of one of the larger rainbowfish species, like turquoise or Boesmani, and let them be your centerpiece. Add in a school of tetras, rasboras, etc, and one of your favorite Corydoras species, and you'd have a nice tank.

I have a 65 gallon tank with ten turquoise rainbowfish, and around a dozen each of lemon tetras and black neon tetras. I think those colors complement each other nicely.
I do like the rainbowfish. They are beautiful. If I were to go with this type of stocking, would I get the rainbows first or the smaller fish?

ProudPapa

I do like the rainbowfish. They are beautiful. If I were to go with this type of stocking, would I get the rainbows first or the smaller fish?

I don't think it really matters. I'd probably get the smaller schooling fish first just because they're probably going to be less expensive, so there's less lost if there's a problem that you aren't aware of.

I'd add the corys last since they're more susceptible to bad water issues since they spend so much time at the bottom of the tank.

Behumble0

Cory cats are great
You can also get a group. With some tetras

SMurray

I thought about a combination of boesemani and turquoise rainbowfish, cory's, maybe a school of tetras, or some sunburst platys, and possibly an angelfish. But, I'm not sure about the combination as far as if they will be compatible and how many of each in the 55 gallon without over stocking. I'm still researching.
I also have PH around 7.8 - 8.2 and KH 120 and GH 180...so my water is hard apparently

I'm considering 2 different combinations.
1) about 5 rainbowfish, 5 cory's, 5 bloodfin tetra, 4 sunburst platies, and 2 or 3 snails
OR
2) about 5 rainbowfish, 3 oto's, 5 cherry barbs, 3 or 4 guppies, 2 sunburst platies, and a snail or 2

If I go with either of these, which fish do I add first to a newly cycled 55 gallon tank?

ProudPapa

I'm considering 2 different combinations.
1) about 5 rainbowfish, 5 cory's, 5 bloodfin tetra, 4 sunburst platies, and 2 or 3 snails
OR
2) about 5 rainbowfish, 3 oto's, 5 cherry barbs, 3 or 4 guppies, 2 sunburst platies, and a snail or 2

If I go with either of these, which fish do I add first to a newly cycled 55 gallon tank?

I wouldn't start with the rainbowfish or corys. Any of the others should be fine.

SMurray

I wouldn't start with the rainbowfish or corys. Any of the others should be fine.
Ok. How long do I wait in between additions, and how long would you wait to add the rainbowfish?

ProudPapa

Ok. How long do I wait in between additions, and how long would you wait to add the rainbowfish?

I don't know that there's a hard and fast amount of time to wait. You just want to wait long enough for the beneficial bacteria colony to catch up before adding another batch. A week is probably a good rule of thumb.

I recommended waiting with the corys because they spend so much time at the bottom of the tank, so they can be more affected by poor quality water issues.

Similarly, I suggest waiting with the rainbowfish so if there is a problem with the water you won't be losing the most expensive fish. Losing $3.00 tetras doesn't hurt as bad as $8.00 rainbows.

SMurray

I don't know that there's a hard and fast amount of time to wait. You just want to wait long enough for the beneficial bacteria colony to catch up before adding another batch. A week is probably a good rule of thumb.

I recommended waiting with the corys because they spend so much time at the bottom of the tank, so they can be more affected by poor quality water issues.

Similarly, I suggest waiting with the rainbowfish so if there is a problem with the water you won't be losing the most expensive fish. Losing $3.00 tetras doesn't hurt as bad as $8.00 rainbows.
Oh I definitely see the financial aspect Lol...fish get expensive! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a health reason or anything like that. Since the closest place to buy fish is 45 minutes away, it will probably be weeks between if not longer. I'm just gonna get some small ones first and see how things go for awhile. I want to be sure my tank parameters stay steady as well as getting my maintenance in a regular routine. Then, I'll go from there. I really appreciate all the help! :)

I was messing around with Aq advisor today....still trying to make some decisions

Attachments

• 20220228_164540.jpg
    20220228_164540.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220228_164504.jpg
    20220228_164504.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220228_164345.jpg
    20220228_164345.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 4

Nawirl

Hello. I just recently set up a 55 gallon freshwater tank. I am trying to fishless cycle. In the meantime, I have been researching fish. I am so undecided! I want lots of fish, but I don't want lots of small fish Lol

I love dwarf gourami, bright colored cichlids, rainbow fish, and electric blue acara. I would like to have a mix of these with a centerpiece fish and possibly a couple schools of smaller fish and some bottom feeders and maybe a couple snails. It's so hard to decide!

Looking for suggestions!
I just started a 55 gallabout 4 months ago. It was a lot of trial and error to find fish that all got along. I ended up with:
5 female cherry barbs
2 male cherry barbs
4 male fancy guppies
2 male endler’s livebearers
5 red eye tetras
3 platys (not planned but they worked out)
1 otocinclus (difficult to start, but easy once they’re established)
5 Cory cats (albino, emerald, peppered, julii)
1 flame dwarf guarami - he’s my tank star. I had 3 but fighting all the time.
I had 5 red fin tetras - They killed 3 adult barbs by nipping ALL their fins off. Also went after the Cory cats.
If I could change out some I would get all the same color orange fancy guppies and not the 4 diff colored and 2 endlers livebearers.

Rgtx

I just started a 55 gallabout 4 months ago. It was a lot of trial and error to find fish that all got along. I ended up with:
5 female cherry barbs
2 male cherry barbs
4 male fancy guppies
2 male endler’s livebearers
5 red eye tetras
3 platys (not planned but they worked out)
1 otocinclus (difficult to start, but easy once they’re established)
5 Cory cats (albino, emerald, peppered, julii)
1 flame dwarf guarami - he’s my tank star. I had 3 but fighting all the time.
I had 5 red fin tetras - They killed 3 adult barbs by nipping ALL their fins off. Also went after the Cory cats.
If I could change out some I would get all the same color orange fancy guppies and not the 4 diff colored and 2 endlers livebearers.
Wow, didn't know tetras can get that aggressive.

I would add about 4 fish max at once each time you are going to add new fish. Each fish will add to the bioload so don't want to get your cycled tank out of whack.

Amyjw

Guess once u figure out of u want cute fish that all get along, or if u wanna step up to an aggressive tank like cichlids

SMurray

I didn't think tetras were aggressive either. When you say red fin tetra, are those the same as the bloodfin tetra?

Rgtx

I didn't think tetras were aggressive either. When you say red fin tetra, are those the same as the bloodfin tetra?
Yes it's the same species

SMurray

I would add about 4 fish max at once each time you are going to add new fish. Each fish will add to the bioload so don't want to get your cycled tank out of whack.
Guess once u figure out of u want cute fish that all get along, or if u wanna step up to an aggressive tank like cichlids
I am thinking about rainbowfish, blood fun tetras, guppies, platies, Cory's....I haven't been able to figure out how to do cichlids in a 55 and have more than 2 or 3 fish
Even if it's schooling fish like tetras?

Flyfisha

Ok SMurray your tank is only 2 months old so yes you do need to be a little careful about adding multiple schools of fish ( 25 plus) at one time or in the same week. And yes Rgtx it’s always important to err on the side of caution when offering advice when dealing with someone else’s fish. However.

It is my opinion that even with a newly established tank the size of 55 gallons you could add 10 small fish at one time . Do not feed them much and do not feed them more than once a day or every second day. Do extra water changes for the next fortnight.
DEFINITELY don’t clean any hard surfaces including filters and glass. As the tank is new yes test the water before water changes. Just so you know what is going on . But do the water changes regardless in my opinion.

It is said under the right conditions bacteria can double their numbers in 24 hours.

In an established tank it is definitely common practice to add way more than 10 adult fish at a time.
I would not even test the water but as always anytime you add to the bio load doing more frequent water than once a week is definitely normal practice.

SMurray

Ok SMurray your tank is only 2 months old so yes you do need to be a little careful about adding multiple schools of fish ( 25 plus) at one time or in the same week. And yes Rgtx it’s always important to err on the side of caution when offering advice when dealing with someone else’s fish. However.

It is my opinion that even with a newly established tank the size of 55 gallons you could add 10 small fish at one time . Do not feed them much and do not feed them more than once a day or every second day. Do extra water changes for the next fortnight.
DEFINITELY don’t clean any hard surfaces including filters and glass. As the tank is new yes test the water before water changes. Just so you know what is going on . But do the water changes regardless in my opinion.

It is said under the right conditions bacteria can double their numbers in 24 hours.

In an established tank it is definitely common practice to add way more than 10 adult fish at a time.
I would not even test the water but as always anytime you add to the bio load doing more frequent water than once a week is definitely normal practice.
Thanks for the input! I definitely won't be adding alot at one time. I was thinking maybe a school at a time, so yes 10 or less for sure. And it will probably be weeks in between at the least. I want my fish to be healthy and hardy, so I want to take my time....not to mention it will be easier financially to spread out buying fish.
I have been re-dosing my ammonia every other day while waiting to go get fish. I re-dosed last night. My ammonia and nitrites both drop back to 0 within 24 hours, and my nitrates are like 40 -50. My GH is 12, and PH stays pretty steady around 8-8.2 ppm. I plan to do a 50% water change Saturday and go get my first fish Sunday.
I am still trying to decide what I want to get Lol...I like too many. But I have pretty much figured out that I want rainbows to be the stars of the tank. So, I'm trying to figure out some smaller fish that will do well with them and my water parameters also. I'm still researching and profiling.

Flyfisha

I am glad you are researching before purchusing.

One of my local club members has some full sized rainbows in a short tank of about 3 feet long and roughly 50 gallons . He enjoys them.

My wife and I have four 55 gallon tanks that are a more standard size 4 foot. When she wanted rainbow fish I cut out cardboard fish of six inches. Having seen the size of fully grown large rainbow fish we have gone with a couple of schools of dwarf rainbows that stay around 4 inches in two separate tanks . Dwarf Neon blues from New Guinea and another dwarf from scull creek Australia . I am happy with a larger school of the slightly smaller species in the four foot 55s.

Each person wants to look at something different. I suggest cardboard fish on the glass tank is one way to look before you buy.

We have electric blue acara with the Rainbowfish and it seems to work out ok as far as feeding time goes.

As far as small fish that might suit your needs. Rainbow fish are fast eaters so only species of small fish that are also fast eaters is my recommendation.

We also always have in most tanks a single BN pleco , a school of corydoras and 3 or more Siamese algae eaters.

We all want to look at different things SMurray .

I suggest a large school of just one species of rainbow fish looks solid.
Plus the BN and corydoras group with Siamese algae eaters to help keep the algae to a minimum.

SMurray

I am glad you are researching before purchusing.

One of my local club members has some full sized rainbows in a short tank of about 3 feet long and roughly 50 gallons . He enjoys them.

My wife and I have four 55 gallon tanks that are a more standard size 4 foot. When she wanted rainbow fish I cut out cardboard fish of six inches. Having seen the size of fully grown large rainbow fish we have gone with a couple of schools of dwarf rainbows that stay around 4 inches in two separate tanks . Dwarf Neon blues from New Guinea and another dwarf from scull creek Australia . I am happy with a larger school of the slightly smaller species in the four foot 55s.

Each person wants to look at something different. I suggest cardboard fish on the glass tank is one way to look before you buy.

We have electric blue acara with the Rainbowfish and it seems to work out ok as far as feeding time goes.

As far as small fish that might suit your needs. Rainbow fish are fast eaters so only species of small fish that are also fast eaters is my recommendation.

We also always have in most tanks a single BN pleco , a school of corydoras and 3 or more Siamese algae eaters.

We all want to look at different things SMurray .

I suggest a large school of just one species of rainbow fish looks solid.
Plus the BN and corydoras group with Siamese algae eaters to help keep the algae to a minimum.
I have attached a picture of my tank. I love the Electric Blue Acara. I have just been very uncertain because I'm thinking 5 rainbows and some Cory's for sure, and I was afraid that would be too much with the EBA. So, I thought that without the EBA, I might do Bloodfin Tetra and maybe guppies or platies. I bounce back and forth from wanting a tank full of mixed types and sizes and a tank like you're describing with the one large school. So indecisive! Lol

I've thought about Rainbows, Serpae Tetra, and Platies or Guppies. Will Platies nip the fins of the Serpae Tetras?

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 5

Flyfisha

I believe platies are a very peaceful species.
Serpae tetras on the other hand have a reputation of being real nippers. I would ask around , even on this site if anyone has anything good to say about Serpae tetras .

Do you know the mineral content of your tap water/ your GH. That may make it easy to decide on the species most suitable for your water?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NahNah
Replies
Views
RabidChipmunks
Replies
Views
Patman0519
Replies
Views