55 Gallon FOWLR

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by Qirko, Aug 13, 2015.

1. QirkoNew MemberMember

Hello All.

I recently got a 55 gallon tank for a steal of a deal. The tank was originally a fresh water tank, but i'm working on setting it up as a saltwater tank.

I've done my share of research, and i think i have a good start as to what I'm getting, but i wanted to double check to make sure i'm on the right path.

So far i currently have:
    1. The 55 gallon tank
    2. 2 heaters
    3. about 30 pounds of base rock
    4. a powerhead, all i can tell is it is a hydor koralia brand, and it says 600 gph on it

I'll be placing an order soon for the following:
    1. A protein skimmer, i'm looking at the Reef Octopus BH1000
    2. About 50 pounds of sand, is this enough for a 55 gallon tank?
    3. A refractometer
    4. Saltwater Test kit
    5. about 30 pounds of live rock

We don't plan on doing coral anytime soon, but who knows if we will down the road.

Now for the fun part, so far our fish stocking list (for the distant future, once everything is good to go) is:
    • A clownfish pair (i have a 6 year old...you all know why)
    • A royal Gramma
    • A Dwarf Fire Angel
    • A watchman goby / pistol shrimp combo
    • An Emerald crab
    • Cleaning shrimp
    • couple of snails

I would like another fish or two, but i can't think of any so i might call it good with that. The main questions i have right now are:
    1. How is the stock level? Do you think this is over stocked, or a-ok
    2. How much water flow do i need? Is one powerhead enough, or should i look at getting a second
    3. How much sand is enough vs too much?
    4. is the Reef Octopus BH1000 a decent skimmer? i've seen lots of reviews, and it seems to be popular.

Thanks!:)

2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    That stocking seems fine, you can add another fish like a chromis or a fire fish. Usually the turnover rate that you want for a FOWLR tank is 10x- 20x so I would another hydor koralia 600. 55-60 pounds of sand should be good. Also, that skimmer should be fine, I read that it's rated for tanks up to 100 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. guthrieb08Valued MemberMember

Good luck aquascaping it. i would love to see it when youget it done. i had a standard 55 that was very difficult to find things that would stack and stay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice