55 Gallon Fowlr With 25 Gallon Sump

1. chirag Initiate Member

Hi all. I need beginner stocking suggestions for the tank. As many as possible. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry for not posting at proper location for stocking suggestions. I'm new here and missed it completely.
  2. chirag Initiate Member

Any suggestions please. Hope someone here has heard about marine fishes at some point in their lives.

3. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Hey welcome to fishlore ,

what are your interest? cichlids? livebearers?
  4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Look into clownfish, gobies and shrimp. Are there any fish you definitely want?

I assume they're asking about saltwater fish in the saltwater forum :)

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

oooppsss, well that's embarrassing!!! thanks
  6. chirag Initiate Member

Thanks for replying both of you. Jesse double the thanks for the factually correct reply... :p JK. Well I know there are clowns, gobies, tangs, firefish, blennies, cardinals, chromis, angels, wrasse etc etc. I have some idea but I'd like to dig deeper towards individual variants like Ocellaris, Percula, Maroon Clowns etc. I'll add detail so that you can help me properly. Also I'm not dumb and entirely a newbie, I have considerable freshwater experience and some with saltwater. So, you may also throw at me some issues if they're present with a fish and I'll understand them.

I basically want absolute beginner friendly fish, that are mainstream, fit in my tank properly, hardy, easy to feed, readily available at most stores and peaceful, pretty will be added advantage. Though I wrote too many words there, I simply mean to get fish that I can acquire and keep easily. I'm not planning to get any corals, anemones, maybe even no shrimps, snails etc. for this tank. At most some cleaner shrimp or some useful cleaning or helping ones if you may suggest any.
  7. chirag Initiate Member

Any suggestions please. I still really hope someone here has heard about marine fishes at some point in their lives. [​IMG] C'mon is this not a fish forum? It's been the 3rd day and I got absolutely zero suggestions till now. There must be a lot of experienced members here who could take just a couple of minutes to read my preferences and make suggestions. 2-3 species is all I want. Please help. Thanks. :)

8. SecretiveFish Well Known Member Member

There are lots of fish to choose from that will comfortably live in a 55g. I wouldn't recommend more than 5-7 fish in a tank that size though, even with a large sump.

A fairly peaceful stocking list:
    - Ocellaris or Percula clownfish (Maroon and tomato clownfish get to be quite aggressive as they mature so need to be really choosy about tank mates)
    - McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
    - Midas Blenny
    - Starry Blenny
    - Watchman goby or pink spotted goby
    - Longnose or flame hawkfish

Other fish you could swap for are a royal gramma, black cap basslets, chalk bass or cardinalfish.

And depending on how aggressive you want:
    - certain damsels
    - a maroon, tomato or cinnamon clownfish
    - dottyback or pseudochromi
    - lantern basslet

Or you can go for a dwarf lionfish tank. It really depends what you like!
  9. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Here are some. And you need a deeper sandbed for the gobies to shuffle through an inch will suffice, but you could go to 1.5-2in :)

• 2 ocellaris clowns (pair)
    • 1 yellow-headed jawfish (if you can get a deep sandbed for them, or make a custom burrow/s they're really fun to have...or you can skip them completely)
    • 2 shrimp goby (pair)
    • 1 royal gamma
    • 2 banggaii cardinals (pair. Maybe get fry too! )

• 1 or 2 firefish (only get two if a proven pair, if your not sure, just go with 1. Also, need a good lid...sometimes they can be suicidal lol)
    • 1 yellow or 1 green clown goby
    • 1 fairy wrasse or mystery wrasse or 8-lined wrasse (I like fairies tho :) )

• 1 dwarf flame angel
    • 1 green-banded goby
    • 1 neon goby
    • 1 orchid dottyback (I LOVE these guys and they're very beautiful. Could be a but aggressive toward the gobies, but you should be okay if you have quite a bit of live rock. Also, add him last)

• 1 fairy wrasse or mystery wrasse
    • 1 royal gamma
    • 1 dwarf flame angel

• 1 orchid dotty back (add last)
    • McCoskers Wrasse (very pretty centerpiece)
    • 1 green clown goby
    • 1 (blue or green) chromis

Hope these are enough options!
  10. chirag Initiate Member

A big thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'll almost certainly be getting some out of these.