55 Gallon FOWLR tank Blog/Journal.

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Heyo All! I am posting my first ever blog that I'm hoping to actually update. I'm not the most experienced, and my tank isn't the prettiest, so I apologize in advance for lots of questions, or a tank that doesn't look the best. I'm using this blog to help me learn and progress in fishkeeping.

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Following with interest!

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For Today - I put a band-aid on the ammonia spike. The Prime is covering it up. I plan to do 5% water changes every day, to not shock the new AND old fish.

I got a Pygmy Yellowtail Angel, and a Valentini Pufferfish. The Angel is King Coal, and the Puffer is Tasselhoff.

I have a 1/2 pound of Marine Algae, some are in my tank, hopefully taking root in the Live Rock. I'm wanting the Angel and the Clowns and the Firefish to hopefully graze on this.

The Puffer seems reluctant to eat, but I believe that

A: I gave a piece that was way too big for it
B: It is stressed out, and needing time to adjust.

The Clowns are Clown and Fish. Wes is my Firefish.

Welcome to my aquarium.

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jkkgron2 said:
Following with interest!
Thanks! I am very excited to update more. I apologize for the delay, I had to have dinner, and do chores.

Here are some pics. The Angel and Firefish were feeling shy. Clowns and Puffer should be in there. The puffer has now moved, so I am glad. He has now adjusted to the spot he is in, and I believe exploring the surroundings. I hope to try again with food.

With the ammonia spike still dangerous, I will be updating the levels, and reporting them here. I will also give the shenanigans that the fish are up to, as well as the food, care, and anything els that pops up.

Enjoy.

Attachments

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow! That’s an amazing tank!

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks! I appreciate it.

I'm planning to add more to it. Ideally, it becomes a FOWLR community tank, with maybe seaweed or kelp sprouting from the bottom.

The Puffer has now moved and is checking out the live rock. I called LiveAquaria because they didn't deliver my Urchins! Those might've spiced up the life.

The Angel isn't really moving much.

For the clowns, they just chase each other around the tank, nip at the rock, and huddle in the left corner.

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It must be really hard to set up and maintain a saltwater tank! How do you manage it, with such a big tank and all? I want to set up a saltwater 10 gallon but I’ve heard it so much work!
Kelp or seaweed would look AWESOME!!!!!!!
If you do get those urchins please please please take pics! I love those little spiky guys!

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm still learning! That is the beauty of fishkeeping. It is an art. Even Picasso or Van-Gogh wasn't perfect. If you're asking for tips, here are mine -

Do more management than you think. Testing, water testing, etc.

Look for compatibility. Lots of Saltwater fish are more complicated in relation to freshwater fish. Be it in hostility, breeding, etc.

Just have fun! They are still fish. Take HEALTHY risks, explore different corals. Do what you want.

Any ideas on my next fish. Ideally a large grazing fish?

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
And jkkgron2 I will take pictures of the Urchins for you! To give you a sneak peek - I am getting a Pencil Urchin, and a Pincushion. I might be adding in an Anemone or a Lobster.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A yellow tang OR tomini tang! That'd have to be your last fish though. can't wait to see the entire tank when you are done! What filtration/skimmer are you using?

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm glad to not have a Tang Police! I've been debating if it is OK to have one. I feel that if I have the appropriate set-up (Ideally growing GOOD algae instead of coral.) I love the color variation of the Tomini Tang.

I have a 2 Canister filter, with 4 Carbon cartridges.

The main plans /updates for today - Testing, and Valentini feeding. I'll give a bonus of the 15 Gallon Freshwater tank if I can get enough people watching, (or not. I might just update anyway! :)

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just got home from the D&D club!

The puffer, Tasselhoff, was trying to camouflage with the rock. He was floating right on the rock and not moving.

The Angel is hiding. I wonder where he is. I've been looking for like, 5 minutes. I plan to feed shrimp, or at least attempt it today.

Just a TinyUpdate (Copyright, All rights reserved.)

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have lots of TinyUpdates!

1st - The Puffer nipped at the shrimp, but then backed away. I will be trying ghost shrimp soon, and I will try cutting the shrimp into smaller pieces.

2nd - The angel seems to be eating! He has gone around and picked at spots of algae!

3rd - I dosed with Prime, and plan to with each water change. Levels haven't changed much.

Any requests? Any specials or ideas?

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmmm.....are you planning on adding a background? I think one of open ocean might look nice :)

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A pic of the entire tamk please. Add a tang!

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I like the back. I think it makes the dark contrast with the light of the rock, and the white of the Valentini (When he cares to show himself... :mad:

I'll try to get a picture! I'm using chromebook, so getting a full picture is kinda hard. If we get lucky, We might get the firefish in view! Stay tuned.

Tomorrow's agenda - More feeding adventures, updates on new fish, public Freshwater special, and pictures!

Sneak Peek!

Attachments

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There you are! Following!

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Freshwater Special!

It was Fluval Flex 15 Gallon with LEDs. I absolutely love saltwater fish, so it was actually a nano tank at first. It had a Kenya Tree coral, Xenia, Disc Mushroom, Candy Cane, and a Green Zoanthid. A large ammonia spike killed off the coral. Once I got the 55-gallon tank, I transferred the fish over - a pair of ocellaris clownfish, and a firefish.

I emptied the tank, and I made it freshwater. I had a snail infestation in my 10 Gallon, so I emptied my 10 Gallon into my 15 Gallon. I now have 5 Tetras and 4 Corydoras. The 5 Blue Velvets might've been eaten by the adult fish.

The babies (4 tetras, 3 corydoras,) are very excited. They are exploring different textures and different foods.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tank looks good and I like the shape of the live rock.
A few thoughts
The pin cushion urchin will likely decimated any algae you place in your tank that you are trying to grow. Pin cushion urchins have a voracious appetite. The pencil urchin will need supplemental feedings as well since it doesn’t look like the live rock is too established with natural growth in it yet.
Have you thought about a refugium for growing algae or a separate tank?

I think the feeding plan is good for the puffer. Also it’s a good sign he’s billing at the shrimp. Try some small krill and ghost shrimp like you planned. I prefer to buy local when I can so I can see the fish eat. Also the puffer might eat some mysid shrimp if he’s not too large.

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've considered putting in a refugium, but I don't know-how. :(

I'll be getting ghost shrimp in the next week. Any tips on getting the puffer to eat?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads