55 gallon convict cichlid tank mate

Discussion in 'Convict Cichlid' started by Rjsmith55, Jun 29, 2016.

1. R

Rjsmith55 Valued Member Member

I plan on getting a new tank (55g) and I want to possible get a convict cichlid (just one to avoid aggression.
    What tankmates would be okay with a convict?

2. Greener907

Greener907 Valued Member Member

You can have pair (M/F) if you want more than one. You can also add another cichlid that is similar in size/temperament. They will get very aggressive when spawning, so if it were me, I would decide if I wanted something different or if I wanted them to breed..

3. OP
    OP
    R

Yea I was thinking of just having a male convict (I don't plan on breeding) so I can put another cichlid of similar size?
    What would you suggest?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you got a pair, I wouldn't add any other cichlids - the tank isn't large enough. But since you want one, how about some swordtails? Not sure I'd put too much else with them. They can still be aggressive singly.

5. OP
    OP
    R

Ah I was under the understanding that they're only really aggresive during spawning. Idk still won't have my tank for a while. Meanwhile I'm doing as much research that I can before deciding on a fish. (There's just so many options for. 55g)

6. Greener907

Greener907 Valued Member Member

A nice grouping of angelfish would be a nice centerpiece..you could have them with gourami, tetras & certain barbs.

7. OP
    OP
    R

I could do that, maybe a pair on angels and a school or cherry barbs with a school of bronze corydas.
    still playing around with the idea of having a red tail shark.

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If you are sticking with 1, you could do a similarly sized cichlid that is different enough not to cause breeding aggression like a rainbow cichlid or bandit cichlid. Or you could do a larger cichlid like a blood parrot or blue acara. Maybe an electric blue jack dempsey? Either way I wouldn't do anymore cichlids other than them. Maybe some dithers and a large syno or some hoplos for the bottom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice