55 gallon community tank stocking

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would replace the zebra danios because they prefer colder water. Also I recommend maybe a larger fish like a gorami would look quite nice and are very peaceful!!

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies do better in a Guppy community W/ Cory Cats. They often suffer from nipped fins when partnered with other species.
Maybe drop the Cardinals too & replace with Rosy Barbs or Tiger Barbs.
Have fun with your new tank. So many possibilities.

OP
D

Dillan Murphy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How would this work? Can I add moreover will this fully stock a 55 gallon? I took the guppies out instead of the cardinal tetras because I really like the cardinal tetras.

Cardinal tetras-6
Cory catfish-6
Swordtail fish-6
Platys-6
Tiger barbs-6

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once your tank is cycled, and begin adding fish, you could probably double that proposed population.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would suggest to do more research on tiger barbs before getting 6 of them for a community tank.

Consider looking into Rainbowfish. There are many good looking types. Australian Rainbowfish at PetSmart are less than $3 because as juveniles they have very little color. As the males mature though, they look great!. Boesmani, Millennium, Dwarf Neon Praecox, Goyder River, Turquoise all look very nice. There are tons more. Most times the males have the majority of the color while females not so much.

If you get Platys or Swoardtails, are you going to get all males, or did you want to breed?

OP
D

Dillan Murphy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Islandvic said:
I would suggest to do more research on tiger barbs before getting 6 of them for a community tank.

Consider looking into Rainbowfish. There are many good looking types. Australian Rainbowfish at PetSmart are less than $3 because as juveniles they have very little color. As the males mature though, they look great!. Boesmani, Millennium, Dwarf Neon Praecox, Goyder River, Turquoise all look very nice. There are tons more. Most times the males have the majority of the color while females not so much.

If you get Platys or Swoardtails, are you going to get all males, or did you want to breed?
I was going to get all males

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Islandvic said:
Agreed...I would definitely not put Tiger Barbs in with any of the fish that you have put. Tigers are cool looking, but nasty and aggressive...at least in my experience.

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Danios, Guppies, Platys, and Swords are all fish that kind of swim in the same area and have a generally similar torpedo-like body type. Not saying you can't. If they are what you're really interested in, I would try stocking up with one or two of them first to see how you like it. You may find that next, you want to find a larger fish like Gouramis or more centerpiece fish like Angels or Rams. Plecos, Loaches, more cories. Lots of options

When I started my 55 a year ago, I got so excited about adding all sorts of the common community fish like these right off the bat, but then I didn't have the space right away to get things that were more different.

Ultimately, it's up to you on what you want to try. There are certain things that you definitely don't want to do like put an Oscar in with Tetras or put a German Blue Ram in a tank that tops out at 76 degrees. But research up those things before you buy them. That's lots of fun and it helps you to avoid putting fish in situations that will harm them.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but your questions and situation remind me very much of myself a year ago!

OP
D

Dillan Murphy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Leeman75 said:
Danios, Guppies, Platys, and Swords are all fish that kind of swim in the same area and have a generally similar torpedo-like body type. Not saying you can't. If they are what you're really interested in, I would try stocking up with one or two of them first to see how you like it. You may find that next, you want to find a larger fish like Gouramis or more centerpiece fish like Angels or Rams. Plecos, Loaches, more cories. Lots of options

When I started my 55 a year ago, I got so excited about adding all sorts of the common community fish like these right off the bat, but then I didn't have the space right away to get things that were more different.

Ultimately, it's up to you on what you want to try. There are certain things that you definitely don't want to do like put an Oscar in with Tetras or put a German Blue Ram in a tank that tops out at 76 degrees. But research up those things before you buy them. That's lots of fun and it helps you to avoid putting fish in situations that will harm them.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but your questions and situation remind me very much of myself a year ago!
I took your opinion into consideration I think I'm going to do angelfish, cory catfish, rainbow fish, platies, and swordtails. I just don't know how many of each

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Leeman75 said:

There are some people who keep certain Tetras with large fish. The Tetras act as "target fish" or dithers to encourage the large fish to come out more. I've met one guy who actually keeps a large school of Tiger Barbs with his Jaguar Cichlid. lol he loses a few every month so he just replaces them as needed.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Corydoras, at least 6-8

Rainbowfish, at least 4-6

Angelfish, maybe 1

Platys at least 4-6

Swordtails at least 4-6

I've got a ton of African cichlids in a well filtered 55g, so dont be afraid to stock a community tank.

Were you going to order your fish online, somewhere like Aqua Huna or Imperial Tropicals, or buy them locally?

OP
D

Dillan Murphy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If i can
Islandvic said:
Corydoras, at least 6-8

Angelfish, maybe 1

Platys at least 4-6

Swordtails at least 4-6

I've got a ton of African cichlids in a well filtered 55g, so dont be afraid to stock a community tank.

Were you going to order your fish online, somewhere like Aqua Huna or Imperial Tropicals, or buy them locally?
If can find the ones I want locally ill go that route, but if I can't I was going to buy them from aquatic arts

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dillan Murphy said:
I took your opinion into consideration I think I'm going to do angelfish, cory catfish, rainbow fish, platies, and swordtails. I just don't know how many of each
Sounds like a great plan!!

Angels are fun! Get them small (I got mine at about the size of a Quarter) and watch them grow! They're also voracious eaters, so always fun to feed. I almost got to the point where I could feed them out of my hand. I enjoyed mine, but ultimately rehomed them because of some of the other things I wanted in the tank. I miss them though!!

OP
D

Dillan Murphy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Leeman75 said:
I've never bought fish from Aquatic Arts, but bought plants and was VERY happy with them!
I've bought fish and plants from them i have no complaints on the fish or plants

OP
D

Dillan Murphy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Islandvic said:
Corydoras, at least 6-8

Angelfish, maybe 1

Platys at least 4-6

Swordtails at least 4-6

I ended up getting a deal on a 60 gallon tank can I add more fish or should I stick to what you recommended I get.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you buy fish online, I recommend imperial tropicals. I ordered all of my swordtails from them. All came in beautiful and healthy. the packing was excellent.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are the dimensions of the 60g ?

I'm sure what I suggested will work just fine. It was just an option I threw out there.

I read back and saw you were interested in cardinal tetras.

A school of those would look good in there as well.

OP
D

Dillan Murphy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Islandvic said:
What are the dimensions of the 60g ?

I'm sure what I suggested will work just fine. It was just an option I threw out there.

I read back and saw you were interested in cardinal tetras.

A school of those would look good in there as well.
The dimensions are 48.25 x 12.75 x 24.75

New Threads