55 Gallon Community Tank Ideas?

haleyjane

Reaction score
I have never had an aquarium over 20 gallons but I just got an empty 55 gallon and would like some stocking help. I currently have a 20 gallon(well established) with 8 guppies and a neon blue dwarf gourami and another 20 gallon(fairly new but cycled of course) with 5 platys. I really love all of these and also love mollies. I was considering cichlids but I think I'd rather stick to a nice community schooling tank. Could I keep a 55 gallon of guppies, platys, mollies, and maybe a dwarf gourami and BN pleco? If so, how many of each? Any decor/set up ideas?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you debating moving your current 20g to the 55g.

If so:
8 guppies
5 platies
1 gourami
1-2 (could do a pair) of BN pleco

And then I would suggest filling it out with a school of cories to add interest to the bottom, and/or a school of tetras to hang out mid water. I personally would pass on the mollies, since both livebearers and gouramis hang out on the top 3rd and any more may cause territoral issues and also a visual imbalance in the tank...

KeyboardCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd go with:
8 guppies
5 platies
1 gourami
1 BN pleco
8-10 Threadfin Rainbowfish
8-10 Serpae/Emperor Tetras
2-3 Half Banded/Peacock Eels (Cute little oddball fish with curious and funny personalities)

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KeyboardCat said:
I'd go with:
8 guppies
5 platies
1 gourami
1 BN pleco
8-10 Threadfin Rainbowfish
8-10 Serpae/Emperor Tetras
2-3 Half Banded/Peacock Eels (Cute little oddball fish with curious and funny personalities)
I'd stay away from serpaes, they very nippy from my experiences. A more suited red tetra would be red phantoms...

haleyjane

Reaction score
I would be getting all new fish for this tank.
Could I maybe do:
- 5 Platies
- 6 Mollies(instead of guppies)
- 1 Dwarf Gourami
- 8 Cherry Barbs
- 1 BN Pleco
Or is there a possibility of a set up with an opaline gourami and some other fish?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
haleyjane said:
I would be getting all new fish for this tank.
Could I maybe do:
- 5 Platies
- 6 Mollies(instead of guppies)
- 1 Dwarf Gourami
- 8 Cherry Barbs
- 1 BN Pleco
Or is there a possibility of a set up with an opaline gourami and some other fish?
Ah ok, why not try something new instead of keeping platies. I understand if you like them, but its a great way to explore some new species of fish.

Gouramis in general are territoral, so i would choose between the dwarf or the opaline. Maybe instead, a apisto or bolivian ram may suit?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom