55 Gallon Cichlids

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by THUNDER FISHERMAN, Jun 24, 2016.

1. THUNDER FISHERMAN

THUNDER FISHERMAN New Member Member

Okay so I'm thinking about buying a 55 gallon tank soon. This would be my first tank (other than a betta a few years ago) and I'm interested in cichlids. Out of the American cichlids, which would be happiest in a 55 gallon. I'm fine with either a couple larger cichlids or smaller cichlids with other fish. What do you think is the most visually appealing combo of cichlids for a 55 gallon?

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Are you wanting to specifically do central american or south american or it doesn't matter?

A single blood parrot would be a nice addition to a 55 gallon. Or maybe a single threadfin heckelii. With one of those you could do a medium sized cichlid like rainbow cichlids, sajica cichlids, bandit cichlids, or maybe an electric blue acara. After that you may have room for a single or pair of dwarf cichlids like bolivian rams or one of the laetacara species.

Another idea would be to do a single large cichlid (threadfin, blood parrot, female jack dempsey) and a small schoal of schoaling cichlids (maybe 4 or 5) like the cupid cichlids (biotodoma).

I think if you did a single large and a cichlid and a group of schoaling cichlids then you probably still have room for some bottom dwellers like cory cats or maybe some catfish as well as a mid/top schooler like lemon, diamond, or black phantom tetras

3. OP
    OP
    THUNDER FISHERMAN

I would like to keep all the fish from the same general region if at all possible. I really like the idea of getting one larger cichlid and then some schooling ones also!

4. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah then I think something like

1 Threadfin Heckelii
    5-6 Cupid Cichlids
    10 Aeneus Corydoras

These all share some regions and can be found in the same waters. You could still look for a schooling fish that would work.

5. OP
    OP
    THUNDER FISHERMAN

I can't find much information about the threadfin cichlids. Is there anyone with personal experience with these or a site with reliable information?

6. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

From what I know they're relatively placid but do get quite large (18cm) and will do a number on your plants (if you have any) through digging. They're beautiful fish but probably do best with a sandy bottom seeing as they like to go through the substrate looking for food.

7. B

Brendenjames8 New Member Member

I have a gold Severum in my 55 gallon. He will grow pretty big but is a nice addition to that tank. They are peaceful beautiful fish!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice