55 gallon cichlid

Xaeich2oh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I have a 55 gallon tank and I want to know what types of cichlids to put in there I know there are many types aside from the region they are from

which would look the best?and are less likely to be aggressive towards each other( I know it also depends on personality)

I will only keep them there for a year then upgrade to like a 125 gallon once I get my own place

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would suggest a malawI mbuna tank, lots of color, lots of movement and with a 125 gallon you could do like 30 of them

if you are after the south american varieties then I would reccomend a pair of oscars as they tend to be great personality fish

just remember to over filter as cichlids are messy akthough you would probably need a canister on a 125 gallon

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would stock the 55 gallon without thinking about the 125. There are a lot of things that could wrong and cause someone not to be able to upgrade to that size. That said, there are a ton of different cichlids that would work in a 55. A jack dempsey would look awesome, I have 2 blood red parrots I love, a pair of oscars could be fun. I agree that a mbuna tank would be really cool, but I would not stock 30 until you actually have the 125. I would do like 7-10.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Monmouth that you should stock the 55 gallon without thinking at all about the 125 gallon. Things happen in life & those things may prevent you from carrying out your plans. (trust me I've been there as have many others).

A MalawI Mbuna tank would be nice but every man & his dog has one of those. I prefer Tanganyinka cichlids myself as there is variety in body shape & behaviour. You can still have a very well stocked tank if your smart about which fish you choose to keep & how you lay the tank decor out. SA/CA ciclids are very cool to but I wouldn't try housing a pair of Oscars in a 55 gallon. That really needs at least 90gal IMO & I would much prefer to see them in 120gal. 55 gallon is only big enough for one Oscar completely on it's own. A pair of Jack Dempsey would work though or a small colony of Geophagus Steindachneri. There are plenty of small to medium sized SA/CA cichlids that would work well. Everything from Rams throguh to the JD's with Firemouths, Keyholes, Port Acara & numerous others all being quite suitable for 55 gallon.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aggression would be a major issue with a pair of jacks in a 55 gallon IMO. You wouldn't be able to do much of anything else with them. Even then if you ended up with a male/male or female/female pair, you would be in trouble. A single jack on the other hand would be fine as long as the other fish don't fit in their mouth

I think it would make an amazing shell dweller colony. Do a TON of brevis with maybe some hatchets for the top.

Xaeich2oh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm thinking of maybe a jack dempsey and some firemouths which I think look pretty sweet maybe some convicts

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not all together I hope. Cons & Jack Dempseys are pretty aggressive fish & the Firemouths probably won't do that well with them. Even the JD could be in danger if the Cons start to breed. Cons get very aggressive when they breed & for that reason I think they should be kept in a species tank if you want more than one of them. Just one JD & one Firemouth might work ok if you do the decor right OR perhaps one JD with one Con, again if the decor was layed out to create clear territories.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

Thanks!
Ken

Xaeich2oh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Then I won't get convicts and JD

how about some african cichlids which would you recommend???

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
you could do a mbuna tank if you want africans. very colorful, and you get to stock more fish than if you kept other fish of similar size, because it helps with their aggression (they won't target a single fish, they spread it out to everone lol).

Jewel cichlids are a very beautiful african river cichlid.

And I think a 55 gallon tanganyika shell dweller tank would be amazing. Do either a BUNCH of the smaller species like brevis or multies, or a few of one of the larger ones with maybe some hatchets or some other top dweller to liven up the upper 1/3 of your tank.

Xaeich2oh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aren't jewels very aggresive??? if they aren't I would love to get some they look amazing I want some nice looking fish that will get to around 5 inches

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have no idea how aggressive they are, but they sure do look nice!

Xaeich2oh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea if so how many should I get? a pair? what else would go well with them

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There isn't much that will go with Jewels. They are generally very aggressive fish that will do best with their own kind in a well planted tank. You could probably do 3-4 Jewels with 3 Pictus cats in a 55 gallon. Perhaps Copper Mouthbrooders (Pseudocrenilabrus Philander) would work with Jewels but I've never tried the combo myself so some serious research into their compatability would be needed for you to confirm that they would work together.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Here is a link you may find helpful:

Ken

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
zebra cichlids come in a variety of colors, blue, orange and a type called ob ( orange black ) , there would go with yellow labs, and yellow tail aceI are nice ( all are lake malwaI mubunas), they also breed easily, so you could stock for your 55 gallon and if you ever do get the larger tank, you wouldnt need to purchase more fish, you could raise your own and even use the smaller 55 gallon as a fry tank

Xaeich2oh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love your idea I want something with very nice color about how many would do well? 10?

Xaeich2oh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love the way fire mouths and green terrors look what else would be good with them or how many of each should I get ,can I put them together?

Xaeich2oh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well I'm thinking malawI mbuna cichlids for sure but would it be ok for maybe 1 firemouth or 1 jewel cichlid I will also be putting in a pleco and 2 raphaels

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads