55 Gallon Cichlid Tank...Help!

Shakesta12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok im new to cichlid keeping and i figured that you guys could help me out. I have a 55 Gallon 4' long tank that has been set up and running for 2 weeks now. I was wanting to put cichlids in it and was wondering what kind you guys think i should put in there. I was thinking: 2 red zebras, 2 electric yellows and 2 electric blues. let me know if thats ok too put these kind of fish together and if thats too many or not enough for this size of tank. Thanks!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

When I had my african cichlids in a 55g, I had 4 red zebras, 4 electric yellows, 4 electrical blue johanni, and 4 socolofi. So you could increase the numbers of the fish you are wanting and add a member of the pseudotropheus family.

With mbuna, overstocking keeps the aggression down. You also want lots of hiding places.

I hope this helps!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!
I agree with BB
overstock them and have a ton of hiding spots/rocks for them to have a territory
how are you cycling the tank?
Hope you share pics sometime!@

Shakesta12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help guys! I will definately share some pictures soon. Shawnie-I just filled it up with water and put some of the water from my old tank into the new one. Put some starter culture in it and have let it run normally for the past two weeks.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore.

I agree with the above posters. The fish you want should be fine together but you will need to increase the numbers & provide lots of caves to keep the aggression down. Otherwise the Zebras will probably beat up the other fish.

Once you have the tank cycled I would put in 4 Electric Yellows, then 4 Electric Blues, then 4 Zebras & then pick 4 of another species to go with them. After adding one lot of fish, make sure you wait a couple of weeks before adding the next lot. That will give the cycle a chance to catch up with the bio-load.

It would be a very good idea to decorate with huge piles of rocks to make caves for the fish. There isn't much plant life in the natural habitat of these fish so if you want plants, it's easiest to use fakes. Keep an eye on the PH to make sure the tannins leeching from the wood don't make the PH drop. The rift lake cichlids like the high PH that you have at the moment & you don't really want it to drop under 7.8 if you can help it.

Shakesta12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks again guys. I just bought my first lot of fish. 2 red zebras and 2 Auratus'. They took well to the water. I found some limestone rocks from my back woods and made a wall with a bunch of caves the length of the back glass. I will post pictures on friday.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks again guys. I just bought my first lot of fish. 2 red zebras and 2 Auratus'. They took well to the water. I found some limestone rocks from my back woods and made a wall with a bunch of caves the length of the back glass. I will post pictures on friday.
but you havent cycled the tank yet or did you buy some tetra safestart?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom