55 gallon cichlid suggestions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by convict15, Jan 5, 2013.

1. convict15Valued MemberMember

I just got a 55 gallon tank but am not sure on what to stock it with. I like south/central American cichlids and would like to have a pair or two in there just not sure what kind. I would also like to have a school of maybe 10 tiger barbs. Thx

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

In my 55 I have giant danios, gold barbs, rosy barbs, zebra loaches, a clown pleco, 2 bolivian rams and a pair of australoheros oblongums (chanchitos). I'm a HUGE fan of the chanchitos, though there are several species that fall under that common name. The oblongums are the most peaceful of the bunch. They are currently available on aquabid.

This is an old video - the stock has changed a little since then. You'll notice tiger barbs in there ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdjpjLd1NA

3. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

Even if its an old video that is awesome jaysee :)
    If you like bigger more aggressive fish you could do firemouths, convicts, green terrors or a jack dempsey pair.
    bloody parrots might be another good choice, they're pretty personable and smart too :D
    imo a 55 is too small for oscars, its not wide enough for them to turn comfortably. its also a lil too small for severum.
    Apisto are small beautiful cichlids from sa if you're going the community route. I've read that bp will do well in a community too.
    with your nippy tiger barbs I personally would go with JD cichlid :) They are just stunning when they're adults. and smart. I had one who would come up and rub on my hand when I put it in the tank. Begging to be fed lol. he knew when a week had passed and he hadden't gotten his live treat lol. what a brat :D He'd start throwing fits, splashing me and staring me down, until I got him some feeder guppies or brine shrimp lol.

4. convict15Valued MemberMember

I like the idea of larger cichlids. What would be some combination possibilities

5. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Salvini, macaw cichlids, texas cichlids, jack dempseys, firemouths, any species of the geophagus genus under 10".

Hope these ideas help:)

6. convict15Valued MemberMember

If I went a more peaceful route could I have a pair of angels, a pair of rams, a school of 15-20 neons, and 10 cories?

7. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Absolutely! Just be careful of the neons when the angels get full grown. They would be able to eat the neons. I've seen some HUGE angelfish.

8. convict15Valued MemberMember

What could replace the angelfish pair. I don't want to take any risks with fish satin other fish

9. convict15Valued MemberMember

Eating**

10. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Cichlids? That may be tough. It may be easier to just remove the neons from your stocking list. If you want to keep the neons, you could do a couple gourami (pearl, 3-spot, dwarf, or moonlight).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice