55 Gallon Build :)

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was on craigslist the other day and found someone selling a 55-gallon tank for 35 bucks, no cracks just had to re-silicone it and it's great.
It's going to be a cichlid tank with some plants (hopefully they don't eat it)
Stocking-
2 parrot fish
1 African cichlid
1 gold severum
3 SAE
(Really hope this is fine) (The pet store told me it wasn't overstocked, they are super knowledgeable)
For the plants, I wanted to put some anubias, java fern, and maybe a lace plant?
The anubias will be on a driftwood that has no more tannins hopefully and I'm going to watch the PH because they said something about Africans coming from different water. Going to use the Fluval light 36"
Is this okay? Oh, I have flourish excel for the tank. What fertilizer should I use?

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd not mix the two types of cichlids. Africans are a fish normally you would/should have multiples of. The Severum may get a little big for this tank. I'd pick one or the other

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OneLittleBubble said:
It says minimum tank size is 55 though. It's still tiny too.
You need to keep in mind that what it will eventually turn into as an adult.
Nothing stays at its juvenile size.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are we assuming the "Parrot fish" is the blood parrot and not the salty Parrotfish?

The blood parrot fish will work since they look like softballs as they get older...but the Severums won't work in the 55 as the depth of the 55 is only 11.5" and Severums can get quite large...if you go with the BP, you could surround it with some larger tetras.

If you want African's you can do this but the set up but you will need to maintain a high pH for them.

The plants...we'll you might want to keep your money if your going to have cichilds...they will much on them or at least pick at it.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, we are talking about blood parrots and I plan on keeping the PH high. Yeah, I am hoping that they leave them alone. I know they won't eat the anubias at least. The leaves are too thick. If they do I will remove it.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fanatic said:
You need to keep in mind that what it will eventually turn into as an adult.
Nothing stays at its juvenile size.
I know that it will get big after doing some research, thank you very much. I plan on moving it to a bigger tank later. It's literally 1 inch right now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom