55 gallon blog

ZombieKeepr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bruce has GROWN! Lights are cool too! Which one did you end up settling on?

Still, I'd go ahead and plant the tank as quickly as possible and slowly work up the tank to a full light cycle[however long that is for you]. Believe me, if they're T5HOs, you'd get algae faster then anything if you're not careful but they are EPIC at growing plants!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bruce has GROWN! Lights are cool too! Which one did you end up settling on?

Still, I'd go ahead and plant the tank as quickly as possible and slowly work up the tank to a full light cycle[however long that is for you]. Believe me, if they're T5HOs, you'd get algae faster then anything if you're not careful but they are EPIC at growing plants!

Bruce is my little buddy lol he's gotten thicker, for sure XD

I ended up with the Odessea with the bulbs for a planted tank. Couldnt tell you the specs or anything lol I just opened it up and popped it on the tank XD I just know i love it!

I plan on adding as many plants as possible. I just need to have the time to lol I was just clearing up some swimming space in the 10 gallon. Looks much better with Bruce out of there!

Your tank is looking really good. I bet Bruce thinks he's in heaven right now.
Bruce is totally happy to have so much room. He was starting to be a brat to the other fish, being couped up in the 10 gallon. I didn't think it'd take to so long to get this tank up :/ But it's up now and I'm happy

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nope, me hasn't LOL Woke up this morning to the lily uprooted again (you can see its floating carcas from yeaterday before i added more plants on ER LOL) and an apon up rooted. And he got the moss. Little turd...!

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lol sorry it made me giggle Mordin regularly redecorates his tank so I share your pain I've given up trying to keep his bonsai anubias where it is supposed to go

And my snails in the big tank are just as naughty now I have a floating bacopa island with an anubias veranda

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha, gotta love it! The trick with goldfish is to get large plants that root them selves very quickly and very well, and that have thick leaves or leaves that taste yucky. And some fish just like to be brats and tear the plants up just because they can, while other will try and eat anything, even if it is yucky or crunchy. So this tank is just one big experiment. lol

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Experiments can be fun what do you think he would be like with anubias attached to bogwood?

Marimos would be fun to watch him play with lol fishy soccer

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How naughty and that look on his face as if to say "what wasn't me it just fell into my mouth" he is definitely a little character

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I think I've got some ammonia in the tank. The Molly is sulking off by herself with her fins closed up, so I decided to test the water with my little strips that don't test for ammonia, and I've got no nitrites and no nitrates. Good indication of ammonia. I'll do a small water change with some prime and add my new AC 110 with all the media I have. Right now, I've got an AC 50 with all the media from the 20 long and an AquaTech 5-15 with no media at all (stuff happens...)

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Dillon! It's not done yet! Still have some more temp residents and plants to put in

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Added the sailfin pleco, 4 swamp darters and two of the platies just now. Way faster than I want to go, but I have to play tank swap, like, yesterday. Tanks need to come down, fish need to move to different tanks, and so on. The good news is, I got the new AC 110 running, but it's noisy, so I have it unplugged for the night. I also got the aquatech running, but decided, since it too was loud, that I'd rather have the AC 110 and AC 50 running and unplug one at night than have two buzzy filters. I'll look into fixing it, though, for sure. I think it may just need some greasing up.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Got a couple pics of Ninja

Ninja and Bruce

Ninja taking over the Sailfins long (you can see the Sailfins tail at the back of the log)

She's a total cutie! I've missed her when I gave her to my friend she was a whopping 2 inches and bows she's about 4, maybe 4 1/2. Still has that same old 'tude XD

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You just have to love Bruce. It's one his obnoxious qualities LOL

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fun times... So, i think I'm dealing with gill flukes in this tank. Bruce has been gasping at the surface at times, the smaller fish soaz out and dash about the tank, scratching on things as they go. As a necessity, I've had to move fish from the 20 long into this tank, to keep them from picking on one of my gimpy goldfish, too. I'm headed to PetSmart in a bit to pick some Excel and something for these flukes. I have to eat first, though, or I might accidentally stop at Chik-fil-A, and I already had McDonald's for lunch LOL

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Alrighty! First round of API CO2 Booster. It's a cheaper (and available to me) version of Flourish Excel.

I used a syringe to dose 5 mL's directly on to the most infected parts of the tank, dodging the psychotic nut that is Bruce. I'm about the plug the filters back in here soon. I took the time while the filters were off to dump some food in. Bruce of course, thought he was starving and was the first to pounce on the food, followed quickly by the other goldfish, then the danios, and the rest of the fish (not including the anti social plecos lol).

Also, it seems that Bruce has eaten a good portion of one of the BBA covered leaves off my mystery sword in the middle of the tank. Even though he's torn all the edges off the leaf, I don't mind so much because that's just that much less algea I have to treat LOL

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom