55 gallon blog

Discussion in 'Akari_32' started by Akari_32, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Getting a head start on this blog before I get the tank going ;)

I got this tank for Christmas from my mom. It needs a lot of help, but it's easy to fix up. It needs:

New hoods
    Substrate
    New magnet for the filter
    Decor
    A very thorough cleaning

The tank will house (until the fish are larger):

-4 fancy goldfish (2, 2 1/2, 3, and 4 inches)
    -1 sailfin pleco (4 inches)
    -1 female Pearl Gourami (4 inches, fully grown)

And untill spring it will also house a 2 inch common goldfish and a Molly, and they'll be moved out to the pond when its warmed back up.

There is also a fantail goldfish at Walmart I may buy if it's still there after I have the tank set up, as it's been there the last several times I've been in the store, and I don't go often. We all know the rule about fish we see multiple times... :;nin2

The magnet for the filter is at the low end of the property list, as the tank came with a larger hob filter that I'll use for a while with my AC 50. I want to get the canister running though, as I want and need a good filter for this tank.

Today, I bought a really cool fake driftwood ornament, with plants all over it. It's 2 1/2 feet long! I love it :D It was 15% off because it's got a broken bit near the bottom, but it's an easy cover up. I also bought a bunch of live plants. Two boxes of aponogenton bulbs, a crypt Wendtii (I have a bunch of these, actually, but they're green), a Cyprus belferi, and an oscelot sword :3

I may at first, before bringing the goldfish in from the pond, just move all the fish from the 20 long right into this new tank, because I have a lot of tank shuffling to do. I need to rearrange and cut back on tanks. it'll be a challenge, as I have a betta problem to go with my goldfish problem XD

Pics of the plants will go up as soon as I get them in a tank, and pics of the tank will go up as soon as I get it to my house :) in the mean time, pics of the goldfish are in my 65 gallon pond blog, available as a link in my sig :)

2. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Plants :)

All of them

[​IMG]

The crypt

[​IMG]

The Cyprus thing

[​IMG]

And the sword (and a fourth of a gold gourami)

[​IMG]

I have them in my 6 gallon for now, with the reject gourami (no one wants him, apparently). I added in 6 drops of flourish comprehensive, to perk them up and hope they don't melt from being moved around lol

3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Remember that fish at Walmart? Well... I bought him. I went in today because I wanted to buy a new bulb for the 20 long (which they didn't have the right thickness of...), and the poor dude looked dreadful! The other day he was active and happy, and today he was sitting low to the gravel, gasping, and not responding much to much outside the tank. I couldn't leave him there in good thought.

So, I brought him home, kicked the gourami out of the 6 gallon into a breeders net in the 20 long; and am QTing him in the 6 gallon. He's utterly huge, but it's all I've got. Plus it'll be clean, something he doesn't know exists. I'm going to give him a week of Kordon Rid-Ick Plus, and daily water changes. He'll be looking better in no time :)

Here are some pics of him :)

Left side with and without flash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right side

[​IMG]

Looks like a male, but with out being able to flip him over and look better at his vent, it's just a guess for now. Names are welcome :)

4. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

New guys is looking much better today! He's eating, and moving about and digging for food. Definitely a male, as he's developed breeding stars on his gill plates :3

He likes to people watch, which is creepy. He'll just stop dead, turn, and stare at me for a long time. Creeper fish... <.<

Still needs a name, too...

5. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Hiya guys!

After much consideration and debate, I've decided a few things.

1) This tank will be all female fish, except for the new goldfish. I think he deserves a tank full of ladies :p So, he'll have 2 goldfish girlfriends, the female Pearl Gourami, the female Sailfin pleco, and until spring, a female Molly and a female common goldfish. Lucky little boy! I may also house female Endlers, and a school of panda corries and/or 2+ Swamp darters, genders unknown lol

2) The substrate will be gravel. I wanted to do sand, but i cant stand how uneven and messed up sand gets! Plus, sand is more expensive. I'm going to partion off the CaribSea gravel to the corners of the tank with plastic canvas, and plant the heavy root feeders in that, and the rest of the tank will be plain black gravel.

3) I had originally given up on a DIY sump, but I'm going to give it a try. Just have to figure out how they work and how to build one. This will come later though. For now I have HOBs and a canister.

6. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Actually, if you use play sand or pool filter sand, it is a lot cheaper than gravel. I think I paid $8.00 for enough sand to do 1/2 a 150 gallon tank, 2 10 gallon tanks and a 5 gallon.

And from my own experience - make sure you bury the canvas good. I put a layer of canvas between the soil and the top substrate when I did my 150 and on the sand side, it is starting to show through in spots. Cories are just such busy little earth movers.

7. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Jack Ryder - The Creeper! :) Super Hero that strikes fear in the heart of... well Harley Quin! [video=youtube;dTiPIy32D-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTiPIy32D-E[/video]

Sorry, this is all I thought about when you said creeper fish! XD Good luck with your little stalking romancer!

8. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I want a black substrate, though. The canvas will be held in place by either silicon or suction cups. Not sure yet.

9. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

You could also go to Tractor Supply and get the Black Diamond. I think it's as cheap as PFS.

10. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Oh that's true! It's really yucky at first though, isn't it? Have you used it before? Is it heavy enough that the goldfish can't throw it around so much? I really hate an uneven sand bed... :;nin2

11. QQQUUUUAADDD

I haven't used it myself but I've heard it has a grain size similar to PFS. Don't know about how yucky it is.

12. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I hear it's real oily at first, and needs a lot of rinsing.

13. MattyBlanco

MattyBlanco Valued Member Member

Your Pearl Gourami shouldn't be fully gown at 4 inches, they can grow up to 6 inches long. I have both a male and a female and both are almost 5 1/2 inches right now.

14. QQQUUUUAADDD

That sounds reasonable as it is coal slag.

15. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

She's stunted. Got her from my uncle, who know nothing about fish. She's got about an inch of tail on top of that 4 inch body length, but should have be a few inches longer. Her back is kind of hunched, so it gives her a male Cichlid look lol

16. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

17. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

This forum is becoming ever more "batty":;batman Mwahahaha

18. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

So, this tank may be pushed back some. Hopefully not too much longer, though. I plan on keeping the tank in my room, which is actually a one car garage, and has no windows. With no hoods in place, I cannot set the tank up unless I can figure something out for lighting for the plants. If I didn't have plants to worry about, I'd just leave the bedroom light on untill I got the hoods, but I have near $100 worth of plants in the tanks I'm combining to set up this one, so I'd like to not kill them off lol When I do order the hoods, though, they should come in 3-4 days. Hopefully I can order them on Thursday and have them by next Monday.

19. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

I'm keeping watch of this thread looking forward to photos!

20. Z

ZombieKeepr Well Known Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice