55 Gallon Aqueon Diy Sump Questions

mogul218

Hey all, I got a sump given to me by a fellow reefer who wanted to unload some equipment he doesn't need. I am going to install it on my 125 gallon FOWLR which is currently filtered by 2 Fluval 306 Canisters. I'm posting some photos so you can see what I have and I'm asking for some ideas from you guys for any modifications before I install it. I am going to use a siphon overflow box since the 125 gallon isn't drilled. Since there is about 15 to 20 gallons of play in case of a power outage, I'm confident this would be okay. Once I'm happy with everything, I may move all the livestock into the sump and drill the 125 in the future. The sump will be sitting on the floor on top of carpet and maybe a yoga mat for leveling. I have a glass shop who can make me some new baffles based on your recommendations

I don't have much experience with sumps. I have a Aqueon 20 gallon Long DIY installed on my 64 gallon Cube. The first compartment has a skimmer, the second is a refugium, the third section has a short glass angled to accommodate a foam trap before the pump return compartment. It works pretty well and I don't have many complaints, except when I am doing a water change and cut the pump off, the back flow raises the water level enough so that the Damsels I keep in the refugium to eat excess food are able to swim over the filter area into the return pump section.

Thank you in advance for your expertise!

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you, hope one of our salty members can help you today

Nicholas Graham

Omg that table is going to break

Dave125g

I Don't know salt water aquariums but engineering is my thing. I'm not too worried about the table , but the tank needs to be supported on the corners. I sure hope you didn't compromise the seals or structural integrity or the tank.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom