55 Gallon Aquarium

Little John

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey fishlorians, I just got a 55 gallon I and I was wondering what kind of catfish I can have in it because its cold water tank.

Little John

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it is not set up yet but the temp will be 65-75 and it will most likely live with a pumpkins seed which is like a more colorful and smaller black crappie

fishfanatic15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't know much about those but they seem cool

Certain species of cory cats live in 70° water (pandas for example). They do need to live in groups though.

I don't know much about pumpkin seed fish. They may eat cories.

You could also probably do a britlenose pleco or two. They can do 68°- 77°

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plecos often don’t do well together in tanks. I had one kill the other and I’ve read about others that have had the same experience. Some do have luck with them but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Little John

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would only have one pleco
and it would only be above 70 during the summer because were I live I do not get that hot and the pumpkin seed is a native fish. also I heard its good for fish to kind of have seasons were the water is warmer and where it is colder.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You are talking about a native fish that is aggressive and can grow to 6-7”. I am not familiar with a catfish, other than native catfish that can survive with a pumpkin seed crappie.

Snails may work.

Genghis Karp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plecos are very hit and miss when kept together, it's true. There isn't a lot of info available with regards to the aggression levels of Dwarf Plecos to be able to research beforehand (unlike Cichlids), but I currently have 1 Goldseam Pleco, 1 Leopard Frog Pleco and 3 Clown Plecos that live all happily in a 60G. I really just took the gamble and it worked out. Back to the original question, I would get a Jaguar Catfish and a heater. They are the No 1 Catfish money can buy, not too big, not too aggressive and so cool and nicely marked.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plecos are very hit and miss when kept together, it's true. There isn't a lot of info available with regards to the aggression levels of Dwarf Plecos to be able to research beforehand (unlike Cichlids), but I currently have 1 Goldseam Pleco, 1 Leopard Frog Pleco and 3 Clown Plecos that live all happily in a 60G. I really just took the gamble and it worked out. Back to the original question, I would get a Jaguar Catfish and a heater. They are the No 1 Catfish money can buy, not too big, not too aggressive and so cool and nicely marked.
Remember they are getting a goldfish. They are cold water fish and won’t do well with a heater.

Little John

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You are talking about a native fish that is aggressive and can grow to 6-7”. I am not familiar with a catfish, other than native catfish that can survive with a pumpkin seed crappie.

Snails may work.
Ok, I will probably put some snails in it.

Genghis Karp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Didn't realise it was a goldfish. Mind you, I'd still get the heater and the Jag and not bother with the goldfish but that's just me! I wouldn't put any kind of Catfish with a goldfish to be honest.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pumpkinseed are SUPER aggressive sunfish and CAN grow up to a foot long. Yes, a FOOT long. I have caught them in the 8-10" range many times. They will probably kill anything else you put in the tank.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Remember they are getting a goldfish. They are cold water fish and won’t do well with a heater.
Goldfish aren't coldwater fish. This is a misconception that many people believe. Goldfish can handle warm waters just as much as any other tropical fish. They just have a higher tolerance to colder water.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldfish ARE a coldwater fish. Yes, they can handle some extremes but why put them through that? I started raising goldfish 52 years ago. I am not even going to argue this point with you.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As I said, I am NOT going to argue this one with you. Please, anyone reading this do not take their information as correct. Goldfish can live in temps as low as 34 degrees and still survive. The person needs to do some further learning. I am done arguing with you.

Coldwater fish - Wikipedia
Coldwater fish - Wikipedia
Coldwater fish are fish such as goldfish, koi, and other members of the carp family that are able to survive in cold water temperatures. ... These fish are also desirable choices for outdoor ponds and can stand temperatures down to 10 °C.
Freshwater aquarium fish · ‎Freshwater pond fish

Can You Keep Goldfish and Tropical Fish Together?Complete ...
completegoldfishcare.com/goldfish-tank/goldfish-and-tropical-fish/
Yes, a goldfish can stand warmer temperatures temporarily (when they're kept in a pond during summer months). But they won't feel comfortable kept in warm water all the time. And if you try keeping tropicalfish in cold water, they'll just become lethargic and refuse to eat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom