55 Gallon Aquarium

1. Shoe0402 Member Member

Hi guys I just purchased a 55 gallon aquarium today and was wondering what types
    Of fish would be fun to have? I currently have a 55 gallon community tank with some platys, corys, and tetras but was thinking maybe something a little different? Any suggestions would be appreciated
  2. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

This is the perfect time to go to a good local fish store and watch the fish... you can pick one that you absolutely love, and build a stock around it! You have lots of options in a 55, and you're starting from scratch, so you're not limited by what's already in there :D

3. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Some fish I'd suggest checking out are cichlids and rainbowfish. You could have a cichlid like an electric blue acara, blood parrot, rainbow cichlid, or laetacara as a centerpiece; or a group of keyholes or rams. You could also do an African mbuna tank if you liked those. Rainbowfish will look rather dull at the store, so you may want to google those to see what beautiful fish they are once they are comfortable and mature :)
  4. Shoe0402 Member Member

How many of each would you recommend?

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

a single blood parrot would be your "center piece" fish in a 55g they get large 8-9" .

I would do something like this

1 EBA
    1 Rainbow cichlid
    2 rams
    12 lemon tetras
    12 corys
  6. Shoe0402 Member Member

Awesome so all those fish including a blood parrot?
  7. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

no ,blood parrot they get to big!! If you wanted a blood parrot it would be the only "center piece" fish in your 55g.

meaning you could do this

1 blood parrot
    12-15 lemon tetras or 6-8 bosemani rainbows
    10 sterbai corys
    3-4 hoplo catfish or 6 synodontis petricola

8. Shoe0402 Member Member

Ok I got you thank you for the ideas!!!

Now if I decided to do a tank with shrimp what kind of fish and shrimp would everyone recommend?

Could I get other fish to mix with the African mbuna? And if so how many of each
  9. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Generally it's not a good idea to mix other fish with mbuna. There might be some hardy catfish that could take it. I have never kept mbuna myself though, so I cant give you stocking suggestions for those! Maybe @fissh can help.

If you decide you want to include shrimp (in a non-mbuna tank), you will need to stick with small fish species for the most part; most larger fish will eat shrimp.
  10. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

11. Raizinhell Initiate Member

You can get a shrimp colony going with the red cherry shrimps. They are more active without fish but with enough cover you could add smaller nano fish. Check out flipaquatics youtube channel. He is a professional shrimp breeder and even sells shrimp starter packs, highly recommend if you want a shrimp tank.
  12. ark_fish Member Member

I just got my first rainbow fish and they are INCREDIBLE fish! Right now I'm keeping blue rainbows and they are fantastic creatures especially during feeding when they go ballistic. (They look dull in stores but under good conditions in a home tank, their colors really show.)
    I would recommend:

7-8 Blue Rainbows
    2 kiribensis cichlids or 2 keyhole cichlids
    2 pearl gourami
    1 rainbow cichlid (as your center-piece fish)

With this stocking you could probably fit in some other species but no small tetras or shrimps sadly. If you did go for a tank with smaller species I'd focus on aquascaping and stock accordingly.

Best of luck stocking! :)
  13. Shoe0402 Member Member

Hi guys I just got a 55 gallon aquarium that is 48 inches long and was wondering what a good led light would be to get? The guy at the local
    Fish store recommended the fluval light. But wanted to get everyone's opinions if that is a good one or if there is a better and maybe cheaper option
  14. kuhlkid Member Member

Are you hoping to plant the tank?
  15. Shoe0402 Member Member

As of right now no we got gravel instead of sand but night later on

Can I plant with a gravel tank?
  16. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Sure you can. I'm new at this so am not really up on plants, but there are floating plants and some that sit in baskets anchored in the gravel, some that are just anchored in the gravel. There is a forum for the planted tank on here, check it out.
  17. Shoe0402 Member Member

I sill def check it out!!!

Any more ideas I'd love to here!!!
  18. minervalong Well Known Member Member

My ideas all run to aquascaping as I use my fishy worlds to escape anxiety. I love beaches and castles, so I'm gonna practice on a 10g before I do a 30g. Although 30g might end up being hogwarts with the black lake and forbidden forest, just have to see the scale eventually.
    Figure out what kind of fishy world you want to slip into and make a plan for building it, doing that before you add fishies is easiest, but can be done with fish in already unless you use something that has to be siliconed in. For that you need a dry tank.
  19. Shoe0402 Member Member

Any more ideas about what types of lighting to get?
  20. minervalong Well Known Member Member

No clue on that one lol. I have hornwort, java moss, and christmas moss, all low tech plants. Might work my way up to higher light plants since that tank will be on the bar and I am building a jungle around it, so will have to have lots of light for terrestrial plants.