55 Gallon Aquarium Stand Plans Or Dual 55 Gallon Plans

gothicrose5

Member
I am looking for help.....I am looking for plans on building a dual 55 gallon aquariun stand my space is limited so I wanted to build then on top of each other....the space I have is 59 wide height is about 8-10 feet so up isn't a problem but not to high I can't get to one of them...please help....I am by no means a woodworker so explicit plans is a must thanks for the help
 

Gypsy13

Member
You’re no woodworker. Hmmm. But you’re able to measure and cut boards? (No offense, my hubby can’t. It’s my job). Have you thought of a heavy duty rack? I mean heavy duty. With adjustable shelves? You could even dress it up with wood. I’m going to work a couple things up. If you find something else while I play with this, I understand. I’m still going to have fun doing this. Perfect timing. I need something creative to do. Thank you!
 
  • Thread Starter

gothicrose5

Member
Gypsy13 said:
You’re no woodworker. Hmmm. But you’re able to measure and cut boards? (No offense, my hubby can’t. It’s my job). Have you thought of a heavy duty rack? I mean heavy duty. With adjustable shelves? You could even dress it up with wood. I’m going to work a couple things up. If you find something else while I play with this, I understand. I’m still going to have fun doing this. Perfect timing. I need something creative to do. Thank you!

No I haven't but ill be at menards today getting carpet so ill look st those while I'm there...thanks for the help...my husband does the cutting some plans he can't figure out....most often I have to get my neighbor to do the cutting and putting together
 

Waterhobit

Member
What about something like this? It leaves room under the back tank for filters, although you might need a stepstool. The frame is basically just 2x4 so you wouldn't need a great deal of skill to construct, and the whole stand could be skinned with plywood.

 

Fashooga

Member
Waterhobit said:
What about something like this? It leaves room under the back tank for filters, although you might need a stepstool. The frame is basically just 2x4 so you wouldn't need a great deal of skill to construct, and the whole stand could be skinned with plywood.

This would work, but it depends on if the filters is a canister or a HOB. If it's a HOB they can hang the front one on the side, but if it's a canister it doesn't provide much coverage to hid it, which is how I like to do it...but others have their canisters by the side...
 

Gypsy13

Member
Ok. Listening to some of the posts on fishlore one thing popped out at me. Make sure your floor can hold the weight of two filled 55 gallon tanks. Good advice.
There’s also diy videos on YouTube for building tank racks. From using concrete blocks/wood planks (no tools required and actually not bad looking) to using 2x4’s with plans. My mind is still conjuring though. Trying to keep it simple is my problem. I dream big.
After you get back from store I’ll ask some questions.
 

Gypsy13

Member
Waterhobit said:
What about something like this? It leaves room under the back tank for filters, although you might need a stepstool. The frame is basically just 2x4 so you wouldn't need a great deal of skill to construct, and the whole stand could be skinned with plywood.

I don’t know about others but I’d be constantly dribbling/spilling from top tank to bottom. Not bad though.
 
  • Thread Starter

gothicrose5

Member
Gypsy13 said:
Ok. Listening to some of the posts on fishlore one thing popped out at me. Make sure your floor can hold the weight of two filled 55 gallon tanks. Good advice.
There’s also diy videos on YouTube for building tank racks. From using concrete blocks/wood planks (no tools required and actually not bad looking) to using 2x4’s with plans. My mind is still conjuring though. Trying to keep it simple is my problem. I dream big.
After you get back from store I’ll ask some questions.
I got floor jacks to support the weight
 

Gypsy13

Member
gothicrose5 said:
I got floor jacks to support the weight
Awesome! Did you look at YouTube? I kinda like the cement blocks. But don’t at the same time. Maybe if they were painted. Cause I can’t stand the feeling of blocks.
 
  • Thread Starter

gothicrose5

Member
Gypsy13 said:
Awesome! Did you look at YouTube? I kinda like the cement blocks. But don’t at the same time. Maybe if they were painted. Cause I can’t stand the feeling of blocks.

my 10 gallon is on cinder blocks
 
  • Thread Starter

gothicrose5

Member
I would love to know how they built the pine aquarium stands like the one in the photo that is what I'm really trying to find I know they used staples but I'm not sure how to do that....if anyone in fishlore land is from minnesota and can help please do...I have been for months trying to find plans for this type but no luck.....
 
  • Thread Starter

gothicrose5

Member
this is one of the options I am considering as well please watch the you tube vid....
 

Gypsy13

Member
gothicrose5 said:
this is one of the options I am considering as well please watch the you tube vid....
Not sure I’d like having to move the couch for maintenance and stuff. Think he may be wishing he’d put a vertical support in the middle as well. Just my opinion.
 

Gypsy13

Member
gothicrose5 said:
I would love to know how they built the pine aquarium stands like the one in the photo that is what I'm really trying to find I know they used staples but I'm not sure how to do that....if anyone in fishlore land is from minnesota and can help please do...I have been for months trying to find plans for this type but no luck.....
You could make a cabinet like this using screws. I’m not fond of staples. The bottom cabt could be like this with the other tank up above.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom