55 gallon angelfish tank stocking questions

blt4ever

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hI all, just got my wife a 55 gallon tank, currently doing a fishless cycle on. Starting to think about stocking options. She for sure wants angelfish. The tank is a 55 gallon with a cascade 300 filter. I am new to angelfish but have read that they can be aggressive. Heres my thoughts on stock so far...

4- angelfish
6- head and taillight tetra
1- german blue ram
1-mystery snail

I'm worried about the water temp with the tef I amta as the angelfish and ram prefer warmer water but I maintain areound 78.5 I think everyone will be happy. Also with the angelfish is it ok to get 4 different types or do they prefer to be with similar colored fish? Thanks

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What do you mean by different types? Most commercially available angelfish are Pterophyllum scalare. Different colors are available in this species, and they're all compatible together! You may have aggression between the four angels. Generally, single, mated pair, or larger groups are recommended. You could try four, and rehome some if there are any issues. That's my plan with my four!

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your Cascade 300 is not nearly enough filtration for a 55 gallon. With a HOB, you'll want at least 500-550 GPH.

blt4ever

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the info, I'm sorry I meant different colors, not different types.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can mix and match colors

DeniseMichele

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Everything I've read about Angelfish has been conflicting that's why I decided against adding them to my 55 gallon. That being said, I don't have any experience with them but my understanding is they eat neons in their natural habitat, so the tetras could be at risk if they are small enough to fit into the angels' mouths.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Angelfish are fine in 55 gallons... but yes, they will try to eat any fish that can fit in their mouths.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads