55 gallon angelfish tank stocking questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by blt4ever, Jul 27, 2015.

1. blt4everNew MemberMember

hi all, just got my wife a 55 gallon tank, currently doing a fishless cycle on. Starting to think about stocking options. She for sure wants angelfish. The tank is a 55 gallon with a cascade 300 filter. I am new to angelfish but have read that they can be aggressive. Heres my thoughts on stock so far...

4- angelfish
    6- head and taillight tetra
    1- german blue ram
    1-mystery snail

Im worried about the water temp with the tef i amta as the angelfish and ram prefer warmer water but i maintain areound 78.5 i think everyone will be happy. Also with the angelfish is it ok to get 4 different types or do they prefer to be with similar colored fish? Thanks

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What do you mean by different types? Most commercially available angelfish are Pterophyllum scalare. Different colors are available in this species, and they're all compatible together! You may have aggression between the four angels. Generally, single, mated pair, or larger groups are recommended. You could try four, and rehome some if there are any issues. That's my plan with my four!

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Your Cascade 300 is not nearly enough filtration for a 55 gallon. With a HOB, you'll want at least 500-550 GPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    b

blt4everNew MemberMember

thanks for the info, im sorry i meant different colors, not different types.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You can mix and match colors :)

6. DeniseMicheleValued MemberMember

Everything I've read about Angelfish has been conflicting that's why I decided against adding them to my 55g. That being said, I don't have any experience with them but my understanding is they eat neons in their natural habitat, so the tetras could be at risk if they are small enough to fit into the angels' mouths.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Angelfish are fine in 55 gallons... but yes, they will try to eat any fish that can fit in their mouths.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice