55 gallon African cichlid tank mate ideas! help please

MatthewTommy

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am getting a heads start on ideas for my new 55 gallon tank. What do you guys think about "Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi "Lemon Jake", Aulonocara Rubescens "Ruby Red", Placidochromis Electra, Placidochromis "Jalo reef" and Lethrinops "Red Cap"? Probably only go with 3 of these species. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Matthew7812

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Finally, someone who needs advice on stocking cichlids! Most cichlids won't like fish that have similar colors to them. Okay so with the 55 gallons I would go with 8-10 peacocks to start. (assuming you want full-grown, colored up males) Lemon Jakes and Ruby reds are my favorites out of the ones you picked. But if you want three species, I think the Jalo reef is a safe bet. It really depends on what you want and the look you're going for of course; all are compatible.

If this was my tank, I would try and go with as many different colored peacocks as possible. First because who doesn't like a lot of different colors in their tank. Second, because if you have too many of one fish with the same base color, they will be more aggressive towards them. Third, the dominant will prevail (as always) and your other similarly colored fish won't color up as nicely. They all have amazing colors. Try and do an all-male tank (if breeding isn't what you're going for).

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thumbs up. Sounds like a good combination. Might add a Taiwan Reef & Red Empress as well. Good to introduce them all together as juveniles in a cycled tank. Try to establish an all male community, things usually work out better that way.

MatthewTommy

Reaction score
My plan was to go all males. Do not plan on breeding and would rather not deal with any more aggression than I need to. Thank you all for the advise. I think Taiwan reef and Red express would look very nice in that group! Would Labidochromis caeruleus "Yellow lab" be okay in this group?I've read they are the most peaceful of the Lab species

MatthewTommy

Reaction score
Do you think the Red express and Ruby red would fight since they look pretty similar? Would a OB peacock be compatible?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A solo Yellow Lab would likely be okay. I keep a male Red Empress with my German Red Peacock (virtually the same as the Ruby Red) no unusual aggression problems Red Empress are not wimps but they aren't too aggressive. OB Peacocks tend to be a little on the aggressive side.

Matthew7812

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yellow labs are probably one of, if not the only mbuna I would say is okay to put with peacocks. I would try and have the lab be a bit smaller than the peacocks. Even the most peaceful mbuna (like labs) are more aggressive than peacocks. Of course, it is all luck of the draw, but I think it will all be fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom