55 gal tank - under construction - Page 2

Gamer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
*drools* Very nice set up! And beautiful wet pets.

justhelping

Reaction score
Your background will stand out nice & bright if you plaster it down with soapy water & then work the air bubbles out with a good squeegee or credit card or something like that. (The soap & water goes on the back of the tank) You can also use vaseline or baby oil instead of the soapy water. But since your tank is up against the wall, you may save that for a "someday" project, as it would involve removing most of the water & moving the tank away from the wall so you could get at it.

OP
S

sgould

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LOL...yeah, it isn't bothering me enough to want to try and pull the tank out from the wall! Good information though...I am giving some serious thought to setting up a new Saltwater tank soon, so maybe I will have opportunity to try your suggestion.

Gamer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't get over those rainbowfish! I never even considered them and now I want some of my own.

OP
S

sgould

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They're pretty cool, and they come in so many varieties you are sure to be able to find one you like!

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
rainbow fish are fab! I have a red rainbow fish which is a big friendly giant of the tank. I also have dwarf neon rainbows, and they are really pretty and stay about an inch or so, so you can have more!!! see my signiture for a pic of mine, or google them (they'd have better pics!)
tan

OP
S

sgould

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cool pics...the dwarf rainbow is nice!

andiuk

Reaction score
I think that looks awesome... I always get so jealous when I see something like that!

leave it as it is!

how much did that set-up cost if you don't mind my asking?

OP
S

sgould

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think I paid around $350-375 for the tank, accessories (filter, pump, heater, etc), and stand. The decorations were added a bit at a time later...not sure what the total would be on those. Problaby in the neighborhood of another $100 or so, but that's just a blind guess.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
sgould said:
I am not finished decorating this one yet.  Just kind of adding a bit at a time.  I am not sure yet what I might do with the large open space in the center.  I want to be sure and leave plenty of swimming space! 

Sean
Nice tank. I definitely regret buying a hexagonal tall tank, as now my fish have to swim up/downwards instead of horizontally. They've got loads of hiding places now as it is, right. Nice tank.

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Very cool aquarium. All of them are plastic plants...right?

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Still looks cool. ;D I plan to get fake plants for my 75 gallon, I'm too lazy for live ones.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Stradius011 said:
Still looks cool. ;D I plan to get fake plants for my 75 gallon, I'm too lazy for live ones.
Am thinking of fake ones too. Doesn't really show at all on your picture. Hopefully in real life neither? Am thinking of just putting a couple of real ones and let them die at my mollies' harsh treatment then replace them again, with plenty of fake ones for hiding. My mollies' constant munching on the plants + the slight amount of salt I put in are really not ideal for the poor things!

OP
S

sgould

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Am thinking of fake ones too. Doesn't really show at all on your picture. Hopefully in real life neither?
No, they're pretty convincing in person too. I am sure you can buy super cheap ones that are more obviously fake. Get what you pay for I guess!

OP
S

sgould

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Finally managed to get a shot of the red rainbow. It is still a little blurry, but much better than he was letting me get before.

New Threads