55 gal tank stock

Kaylah

Hello everyone! We have had fish for a bit but are finally able to use our 55 gal tank which is exciting. We want to make sure the excitement doesn't cause a stock problem. Here's what we have right now;
1 albino common pleco
1 albino shark
2 silver flying fox
3 penguin fish
3 mickey mouse platy (1 male, 2 female)
1 sunset platy (female)
1 yellow platy (male)
3 swordtail (1 male, 2 female)
2 zebra danio
1 leopard danio
1 tiger barb
1 snail

We know we need more danios to school and tiger barbs just waiting on our area to get them back in stock. We also realize we have live breeders and want to keep that in mind while stocking (which we want to also do slowly over time not all at once). What do you think? Any suggestions for a good variety with these fish?

connorjs1004

First, if by albino shark you mean a Bala Shark, those can grow over a foot long so they are a definite no. The place produces a pretty high bio load and considering it is a common pleco, they too can grow to be almost two feet long, so unless you have a much bigger tank/pond I would suggest rehoming them. If you want to have a pleco in the tank, you should get a bristlenose or clown place as they don't get nearly as big. The flying foxes should be ok for your tank. The penguin tetras, zebra/leopard danios, and tiger barbs are all schooling fish and to get the proper amount of schools for each of them (6 at the minimum) would simply overcrowd the tank. I would choose two of the four you like and get a school of 10 or so. Also, keep in mind that tiger barbs can be nippy towards other fish. Those and the platies/swordtails should create a great 55 gallon for you.

Upvote 0

Kaylah

First, if by albino shark you mean a Bala Shark, those can grow over a foot long so they are a definite no. The place produces a pretty high bio load and considering it is a common pleco, they too can grow to be almost two feet long, so unless you have a much bigger tank/pond I would suggest rehoming them. If you want to have a pleco in the tank, you should get a bristlenose or clown place as they don't get nearly as big. The flying foxes should be ok for your tank. The penguin tetras, zebra/leopard danios, and tiger barbs are all schooling fish and to get the proper amount of schools for each of them (6 at the minimum) would simply overcrowd the tank. I would choose two of the four you like and get a school of 10 or so. Also, keep in mind that tiger barbs can be nippy towards other fish. Those and the platies/swordtails should create a great 55 gallon for you.
Thank you! Our pleco is a bristlenose sorry I couldn't remember the name but as soon as I saw it I noticed it was the same. I'm so bad at remembering some of these names (especially when it's a fish the kids pick). The albino shark must not be called that per say. I know at the store they said it would only get a couple inches in length but it is albino in color so that's what I called it I apologize. We will definitely look at our schooling fish. The tiger barb seems to be happier by himself than when we had his buddies in the past and he leaves everyone alone. I think we will eventually set up another smaller tank so the kids can keep each of their favorites.

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

Thank you! Our pleco is a bristlenose sorry I couldn't remember the name but as soon as I saw it I noticed it was the same. I'm so bad at remembering some of these names (especially when it's a fish the kids pick). The albino shark must not be called that per say. I know at the store they said it would only get a couple inches in length but it is albino in color so that's what I called it I apologize. We will definitely look at our schooling fish. The tiger barb seems to be happier by himself than when we had his buddies in the past and he leaves everyone alone. I think we will eventually set up another smaller tank so the kids can keep each of their favorites.

If its not a Bala Shark, then its probably a rainbow shark. While they don't get as big they are a semi-aggressive fish so just be careful with it. Thats good that the barb leaves everything else alone, when I kept them they were constantly nipping and bullying the other fish, so I guess you got a good one lol. But like I said before, even though it seems healthy, it could still be stressed and having more would make it feel better.
(Edit: If you put a piece of driftwood in the tank, it will help the pleco really thrive:)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
VSA
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
  • Question
Replies
Views