55 Gal Stocking Question!!

QueenJenn

Reaction score
So I recently got a 55 gallon tank as an upgrade from my current 37gal. Im splitting up my 37 gal between a 20gal and the 55 gal (two different houses). So my question is, what is a good non-agressive fish that doesn't mind being alone or in small groups? Will they do well with these other fish 1f molly, 1m molly, 1 black skirt tetra, 1m swordtail? I'm planning on getting a few more guppies and a couple more swordtails in the 55 gal along w possibly a cory-cat or some other algae eaters. I am happy with all suggestions! I am very open and willing to spend a little extra money to bring some beauty to my tank! :) I was thinking about getting 2 fancy goldfish butI don't know if they'll do well with these fish's water preferences! Also possibly interested in getting some females betta's as focal fish! Any suggestions?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
QueenJenn said:
So I recently got a 55 gallon tank as an upgrade from my current 37gal. Im splitting up my 37 gal between a 20gal and the 55 gal (two different houses). So my question is, what is a good non-agressive fish that doesn't mind being alone or in small groups? Will they do well with these other fish 1f molly, 1m molly, 1 black skirt tetra, 1m swordtail? I'm planning on getting a few more guppies and a couple more swordtails in the 55 gal along w possibly a cory-cat or some other algae eaters. I am happy with all suggestions! I am very open and willing to spend a little extra money to bring some beauty to my tank! :) I was thinking about getting 2 fancy goldfish butI don't know if they'll do well with these fish's water preferences! Also possibly interested in getting some females betta's as focal fish! Any suggestions?
Ok, first thing I would do is research the nitrogen cycle if you haven’t already, it’s a key thing to the well being of your fish :). I don’t think you can keep goldfish with them because they aren’t really temp compatible and they MAY eat small fish. Corydora catfish are not algae eaters and prefer to be in schools. Why not get a bristlenose pleco? They’re good centerpiece fish and clean algae. Besides that I would do a single angelfish or a group of 5 honey gouramis :).

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Ok, first thing I would do is research the nitrogen cycle if you haven’t already, it’s a key thing to the well being of your fish :). I don’t think you can keep goldfish with them because they aren’t really temp compatible and they MAY eat small fish. Corydora catfish are not algae eaters and prefer to be in schools. Why not get a bristlenose pleco? They’re good centerpiece fish and clean algae. Besides that I would do a single angelfish or a group of 5 honey gouramis :).
Yes I have done plenty of research on the nitrogen cycle! I have made the mistake before unfortunately. I have definitely been looking for a good 'algae eater', so thatnk you for that reccomendation. & I haven't done much research on gouramis! I will definitely consider them!! Thank you!

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
QueenJenn said:
Yes I have done plenty of research on the nitrogen cycle! I have made the mistake before unfortunately. I have definitely been looking for a good 'algae eater', so thatnk you for that reccomendation. & I haven't done much research on gouramis! I will definitely consider them!! Thank you!
No problem! Feel free to ask any other questions you might have about your tank/stocking!

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
No problem! Feel free to ask any other questions you might have about your tank/stocking!
Are there any other gouramis that might go well with these fish? They are definitely all so beautiful!!

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honestly, I'd add more mollies or swordtails. They definitely appreciate and feel more comfortable in groups. especially swordtails. I now have 16 swords in my 90g. Started with 4. As I added more, they became more and more active and less shy. Liverbearers in general like to be in groups. Could you possibly get 3 Male mollies and 7 or 8 females in your 55g?
I'd scrap the goldfish idea, as they like cooler water, the rest of the fish you mentioned are tropical fish needing warmer water.
You could do Cory's. Just note they will need to be in schools of 6 or more.

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
Mike1995 said:
Honestly, I'd add more mollies or swordtails. They definitely appreciate and feel more comfortable in groups. especially swordtails. I now have 16 swords in my 90g. Started with 4. As I added more, they became more and more active and less shy. Liverbearers in general like to be in groups. Could you possibly get 3 Male mollies and 7 or 8 females in your 55g?
I'd scrap the goldfish idea, as they like cooler water, the rest of the fish you mentioned are tropical fish needing warmer water.
You could do Cory's. Just note they will need to be in schools of 6 or more.
Yes, I have been thinking about doing this too! Getting some different colors of both species (probably guppies too) and just letting them mate and going from there!! I like that style too! Thank you for your info on the corycats too!

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
QueenJenn said:
Are there any other gouramis that might go well with these fish? They are definitely all so beautiful!!
Honestly I’m not sure, someone like jinjerJOSH22 might be able to answer that question :). If you can find a female dwarf that would be pretty nice.
Edit: a pearl gourami might work. I’m going off from what I’ve heard.

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Honestly I’m not sure, someone like jinjerJOSH22 might be able to answer that question :). If you can find a female dwarf that would be pretty nice.
Edit: a pearl gourami might work. I’m going off from what I’ve heard.
awesome thank you!

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Several people have pointed out that corys need to be in groups (and that's groups of a single species, not mixed, by the way), but I don't think anyone pointed out that the same is true for tetras, and you said you have a single skirt tetra. I'd encourage you to get more, and bring it up to at least 6, but more is always better. Black and white skirt tetras will shoal together, so that's an option if you want more variety, but I personally think larger numbers of fewer fish has a greater visual impact.

Pearl gouramis are relatively peaceful, and a trio (one male and two females) is a great option for tanks that are large enough, which I would define as 40 gallons or larger. I've never kept them with mollys, so possible harassment from the mollys is the only potential issue I can see, and it might not be a problem. I know I quit keeping mollys because I got tired of them following the corys around and then chasing them away if it looked like they had found something to eat.

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
Several people have pointed out that corys need to be in groups (and that's groups of a single species, not mixed, by the way), but I don't think anyone pointed out that the same is true for tetras, and you said you have a single skirt tetra. I'd encourage you to get more, and bring it up to at least 6, but more is always better. Black and white skirt tetras will shoal together, so that's an option if you want more variety, but I personally think larger numbers of fewer fish has a greater visual impact.

Pearl gouramis are relatively peaceful, and a trio (one male and two females) is a great option for tanks that are large enough, which I would define as 40 gallons or larger. I've never kept them with mollys, so possible harassment from the mollys is the only potential issue I can see, and it might not be a problem. I know I quit keeping mollys because I got tired of them following the corys around and then chasing them away if it looked like they had found something to eat.
Awesome!! Thank you so much! I will have to pick up some more!

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Like the others have said, Pearl Gourami are a great option :D

A note on Skirt Tetra, they're notorious for being quite nippy, so keeping a larger number is a must to avoid this behavior being aimed at other fish. 8-12 is what i've seen thrown around.

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Like the others have said, Pearl Gourami are a great option :D

A note on Skirt Tetra, they're notorious for being quite nippy, so keeping a larger number is a must to avoid this behavior being aimed at other fish. 8-12 is what i've seen thrown around.
thank you! my one tetra is definitely a very nice fish, all of my fish are actually angels! I got very lucky lol. They don't fight at all! Hopefully that wouldn't cause fighting in my tank. Is there a way to avoid it?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
QueenJenn said:
thank you! my one tetra is definitely a very nice fish, all of my fish are actually angels! I got very lucky lol. They don't fight at all! Hopefully that wouldn't cause fighting in my tank. Is there a way to avoid it?
Usually numbers, the way I view it is some fighting in a group is quite normal. Fish kept in groups will often just focus on fish within the group rather than others.

COHiker

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't think Corydoras eat much algae. Not sure if I misread your post. Corydoras also like schools, vs being alone. Corydoras might be useful for cleaning up missed fish food on the bottom, but you'll need them with sinking food such as frozen food or pellets. I find sinking food tends to get lost more by any fish and resultingly pollutes my tank more.

I'm told that Ottos are treasured for being small algae eaters. But I've never had much luck with them. I don't think Ottos have been bread in captiivty so all of them are wild caught, and therefore very stressed with adjusting to your local water conditions compared to farmed stock.

For clean up crew I think Amano shrimp are extremely under valued. They're extremely hardy, live for along time, cool to watch. I've had shrimp unexpectantly survive in wet gravel between aquarium breakdowns. Crazy.

Gouramis are a cool fish, peaceful but they like territories so plan your decoration around the number of gouramis you like. I believe they like structures.

New Threads