55 Gal Mbuna

1. Sharkbait4

Sharkbait4 New Member Member

curious on how many african zebra- orange mbuna in a 55 gal tank? I currently have 21 fry (plus 1 juv 3 adults) in a 30 gal and am trying to get a bigger tank-- I have the space, just don't have equipment yet.

please no criticism, the fry were not on purpose, it was suppose to be a holding tank until my sister got hers set up after move, but we are keeping them, so I'm trying to get a bigger tank.. they are all healthy, no aggression, they play, no fights, all happy, but I know before long all those 21 fry will be huge! lol :)

thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

In a 55gal I'd keep around 20ish mbuna, tops. You would have to keep up on water changes though as weekly 25% won't be near enough to keep nitrates down. I'd shoot for twice weekly 50% water changes if possible. Keep in mind that they will continue to breed and whatever fry survive will grow up fast. I'd start looking around for good pet/fish stores to possible sell/give them away.

3. OP
    OP
    Sharkbait4

Sharkbait4 New Member Member

Thanks! I've been looking around to sell/gift, but no avail yet. I currently do water changes twice to three times a week, but with all the other animals we have it's no biggy... thanks! and yes, I know they would continue to breed, my sister had several in her 55gal and only 1 fry lived to juvenile every couple months, and I figured in my tank they had adequate hiding space to thrive :) ((my tank had been ready for guppy/molly/community before we inherited cichlids, thus all the hiding))

4. t

thof123 New Member Member

In a 55G I'd say 20 may be slightly overstocked at full size. I'd shoot for like 15-18 max I have a 75 right now and probably have about 25 total mbuna in the tank. Most are full grown, others are smaller and still growing. Occasionally I come home and someone is killed randomly. My aggression is usually shared throughout the tank due to the total stock but some males of the same species sometimes get into it over territory. If you want to prevent future fry grab a catfish or two. I have a few featherfin squeakers and a clown syno catfish and when my fish have fry one or two are lucky to survive lol.