55 gal Community

1. HitchHiker Member Member

Well now that I have my filter starting to cycle I was thinking about what fish I will want to get for my tank. First things first...

The Tank:

55 gal. 48"L x 15"W x 18"H
    Rena XP3 Filter
    Sand bottom

The Fish:

2 Blood Red Parrots
    5 Ghost Catfish
    4 Flame Dwarf Gourami
    5 Scissortail Rosabora
    4 Opaline Gourami

Using the AqAdvisor the only warning that it came up with that the BR Parrot would be too agressive for the Glass Catfish and the Dwarf Gourami. The second thing that made me a bit curious was that it said that I would be needing to change 1/2 of the water out each week.

So anyway I want to stop by and see what everyone thought.

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would say 4 opaline gouramis wont work, I couldnt keep 2 in my 72G without them fighting

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Your filtration is excellent, but your stocking list is not so. I wouldn't keep 2 dwarf gouramis in a 55, let alone 4. They will fight and get sick because of the stress. The only hope for keeping multiple dwarf gourams is if you got honeys. They are a different species and are not nearly as aggressive as regular DGs.

4 opalines might work if you did 1m/3f

In a larger tank like that, a larger school of fish looks much better than just a handful. Also, a 55 is IMO not big enough to support several large fish. Your filtration can handle it, but when the fish are mature I just don't think ther'll be enough room to prevent aggression issues.

4. HitchHiker Member Member

What is I were to revise the list to the following:

2 Blood Red Parrots
    5 Ghost Catfish
    1 Flame Dwarf Gourami
    5 Scissortail Rosabora

This would provide me with the option of growing, either more of the dame fish, larger schools, or adding something that I just had to have later on?

Thanks for the advice.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would do just one BP and bump the two schools up to 10 of each instead.

You're welcome

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. Your Bloody Parrots may not play nicely with the smaller fish. Too, If you do decide to get Bloody Parrots I would highly suggest that you get two and add them last. They need a buddy of their own species. After having so many Bloody Parrots for so many years, I just hate the thought of one being by himself. Their personality is so much better when they have a buddy. :)
    Ken

7. HitchHiker Member Member

When I get the two BP should I buy them from a store that has more than two in the tank that day or would that matter?

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

As long as the two look healthy is all that matters. The sex ratio on these species doesn't matter either.
    Ken

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My girlfriend really wants one. Two are good in a 55?

10. HitchHiker Member Member

Thanks everyone for all the great advise. I was wondering is there a particular order to adding the fish? I know that it has been suggested that I add the Blood Parrots last, that makes sense to me, but as far as the rest of them go should one be add before the other, or will it really matter?

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I would say the schools first, 5 fish at a time with 10-14 days in between each addition. Then the gourami, and last the bp's. This is just an educated guess, since I've been told in my tank to add the more peaceful fish first, then the more aggressive last.

If I remember correctly, you are doing a fishless cycle and have started already, right?

edit: I forgot to add that as far as the 50% weekly water changes, aqadvisor is considering the bioload of your fish. I think in the beginning, before you are fully stocked, it can be less then that. Once you are fully stocked, I would do the 50% every week for a couple of months, and once your bacterial colony is strongly established, then maybe you can back off a bit. Just keep a close eye on the water parameters and let that be your guide.

But even if the parameters are good, still change the water. The gravel still needs cleaning. Also, new water adds minerals and oxygen back into the tank. And fish don't want to swim around in their own waste any more than we do. (In case you can't tell, I recently asked why water changes were necessary if the parameters were good. These are the responses I got. LOL)

12. HitchHiker Member Member

:D thanks Meenu.

Yes I am doing the fishless cycle. This mornings test had the Ammonia level at 1 so it is under way.