55 and 30

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lady Monster, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Lady Monster

Lady MonsterWell Known MemberMember

I originally wanted cichlids in the 55 but was having difficulty with compatibility vs availability. Also they can get expressive! That dream is on hold for now.

Currently in my 30 gallon there is:
    4 dalmation mollies
    2 julii cory
    2 spotted cory
    4 mystery snails
    3 rcs

I am going to put them in my 55 and add:
    X black mollies
    X silver mollies
    4 julii cory
    4 spotted cory
    2 mystery snails
    X rcs

What's a even number For the mollies i could add? Could i do 4 black and 4 silver? Will i have room for other fish? Either other mollies or maybe a center piece?

My 30 gallon will be turned into a betta sorority, i plan to buy 11 hand picked betta from my local petco, which even offers baby bettas! Also 3 mystery snails. What are some ideal plants for betta? I have a male in a 10 gallon and he's got bacopa and moss ball.

Both Tanks have hob filter and additional sponge filters. Both Tanks have sand with a few pea gravel areas.

And for those who cheered me up after my awful weekend experience, im feeling ok about moving forward with setting up the new tank. Thank you :)

2. Greener907

Greener907Valued MemberMember

You can add a good amount of mollys but keep in mind the ratio to go my is 1M:2F, and even more females per male is better. A pearl gourami is a good one to use a centerpiece fish, or a few angelfish..those will both be good with a community tank.

With the betas, do you plan on having more than 1 male? they will fight, usulally to death if they are in the same tank. You can have a bunch of females, but they're not called the Siamese fighting fish for nothin'. :)

I think betas like just about anything for plants..ones they can swim through..maybe some floating ones for security..I don't really think you can go wrong with plants in the tank with them.

3. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Oh the bettas will be females. My male is going to stay alone in his tank.

4. Greener907

Oh then you should be fine

5. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Flowingfins is knowledgeable about Betta sororities. But I haven't seen her around much. I don't have suggestions, but I know Mollys are big waste producers, so you can probably keep less than you would expect.

6. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I feel like they replied to a sorority question i had many weeks ago. I know that ill need to add the girls at the same time and create enough nooks and crannys for them to retreat to if there is any aggression.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Angelfish aren't temp compatible with the cories, so I'd leave them out.

You have some issues with stocking numbers. The cories should be in groups of 6+ of their own species. What's a spotted cory?

Make sure you stick with all male mollies so you're not overrun with fry (it'll happen if you have females - not all get eaten).

I'd leave out the RCS for this tank - they'll be eaten by the mollies and if any survive, they'll hide and you won't see them.

What about something like this?
    6x False julii cory
    6x Spotted cory
    2x Mystery snails
    3-4x Male black mollies
    3-4x Male silver mollies
    1x Dwarf gourami
    10x Cool water schooling fish (only one species: danios, neons, or rasbora, etc.)

8. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I think you misunderstood.

I already have 2 julii, 2 spotted, 4 dalmation, 4 snails.

I'm adding to them to have a total of 6 julii, 6 spotted, 4 dalmation, 4 black, 4 silver, 6 snails.

My current 4 mollies are female.

I have rcs in the tank and they don't get messed with by the fish.

These guys are in the 30 gallon right now but i want to move them to my new 55 gallon, and use the 30 gallon for a betta sorority.

9. TexasDomer

Ahh, got it. I thought the second list was total numbers.

I think the shrimp might get eaten if you add more mollies, or again they might just hide all the time. Mollies can and will eat dwarf shrimp.

If you have all female mollies, add only females. Try to get virgin ones so you don't get a bunch of fry.

10. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I don't think ill be able to catch my shrimp to move them anyways they are too quick.

If i have room i wanna do ram cichlid. i kind of have a black and white theme going on with my fish so i think a colorful center piece works for me.

I probably won't be able to get virgin fish but i can definitely get all females, if any fry survive ill rehome them. Do you think 12 mollies are too much? Along with 12 corys and a pair of rams? The snails are still optional at this point because i usually have to rotate them in my tanks because my black one harasses my ivory, so i added 2 more snails and it seemed to help. I don't need to add more but id like to get a couple colors i don't already have. I have black, ivory, blue, gold. I want magenta and jade.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  11. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

For the sorority, you are going to want a heavily decorated tank. Some good low light plants are java moss, anubias, java fern, cryptocorne wendtii, vallisneria, bacopa, I even have pothos growing out of mine. I have a rock cave and a large piece of driftwood in mine. I plan on getting more plants, I would do a minimum of 7 girls, you could probably go with 15 in the 30 gallon, maybe more. The more girls you have, the less aggression there will be.

12. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I have lots of bacopa, driftwood, and a few caves. I plan to add more hideoutes.

13. TexasDomer

I think 12 mollies is too much, yes. They get large (4") and don't school. All you see when you walk up to your tank will be a mob of mollies begging for food. I'd stick with 4-6 total and fill the rest of your tank up with schooling fish.

If you want a pair of rams, I'd go with only one species of cory, not two. Bolivian rams would work, but blue rams and their color variants would not.

You have room for many more mystery snails!

14. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Hmm well i already have 2 different types of cory. I made an impulsive purchase when the lfs i visited didn't have the ones i needed.

15. Greener907

Bolivian Rams are awesome! Not as brightly colored as the germans, but they are bigger and are still pretty. They are polite little guys too..I have a pair in with platys, mollys, danios, corys and otos. They just hang out. :)

16. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Are Germans more agressive or something? Because that's what i wanted to get.

17. Greener907

No, I had a pair and I had to take them back to my LFS cause they were getting kinda beat up. They are fine too..I really enjoyed them cause of their colors..but they are smaller, so just make sure you don't put anything larger & aggressive with them. They were fun though. They did good with the Mollys and Platys, but they do need a 30 gallon minimum and I enjoyed having a pair. You could probably have a couple females and a male, but if they pair up, they can be aggressive to the others. Also, the males are more colorful than the females, but both are pretty :)

18. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Ok that makes sense. I think they get 2 inches? And my mollies will get 3-4 inches. This is all going to the 55 gallon so plenty of room. My mollies so far only nip at each other, 2 are pregnant and get nippy during feedings. They never bother the cories or rcs. Im thinking if i monitor closely that things may work out. Im not adding rcs but what about ghost shrimp?

19. Greener907

Yeah, Germans stay around 2", and Bolivians get around 3". In a tank that big you could house a M/F pair of each. I had mine together, and the bolivians just bossed the germans around when they needed space. I'd watch the nipping in the mollys, make sure it doesn't get out of hand but they could be stressed and taking it out on eachother, but they are a very peaceful species so it should be fine. I don't see a problem with GS, they should be fine with all of those fish & are good little bottom cleaners :)

20. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I'm definitely getting this 55 gallon cleaned and filled this weekend. It's going in the living room. The mollies were fish my 7 year old bought with the money the tooth fairy gave her. And the 30 gallon is in my bedroom. So i want to put her fish were she can visit with them wherever. And i can put MY fish (betta sorority) in my room.

I'll be running 3 aquariums after this is completed! And 2 of them are my kids fish lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice