52 Gallons Of Newbie Aquarium

Meeko2690
HI folks, I will be using this thread for an update on my tank.

As some of you may have read, I had some bad filter issues upon start up. However it is running today and has been for 11 hours now with no leaks, so all seems well on that front!

I am using flakes as my ammonia source which I put in yesterday. Water temp is sitting at 25 after I turned it down slightly however I do not trust those stick on readings and I plan on getting a digital thermometer at somepoint. It is looking very basic at the minute but I quite like it. The water was fairly cloudy on days 1 and 2 but today it looks crystal clear so something is obviously working

I have my API test kit, some root tabs and fertilizer coming in the post over the next couple days so hopefully that will help with the plants, as I am not so sure they are doing too well however the Polygonum leaves have got slightly more red today.

Here is a couple of pics of the tank. The picture doesn't really do it justice just how clear it is on day 3. Plus my fingerprints are on it (and ignore the Fortnite reflection in the background)

Day 2:

tank1.jpg

Day 3:

tank2.jpg

Nashpack
Looks good. What are you thinking of stocking with?

Meeko2690
Looks good. What are you thinking of stocking with?

Honestly, I have no idea. I've been looking at species for a while now and I just don't know. I think it will probably go on impulse when at the store, but I will obviously do my research first.

Meeko2690
Update time.

I am now cycled and have 6 Harlequin Rasbora in the tank. 5 are doing great 1 not so much. He is swimming down the bottom away from the others and keeps flipping around or not moving at all, now from what my book on fish illness is telling me it sounds like swim bladder disease but I wonder if it is the same little guy that went and hid in the wood after I first added? Once he left the wood he did school with the rest of them but there was always one lagging behind a little bit so maybe he has arrived sick or is just really weak. The rest seem fine and in good colour and seem to be playing the game of who can swim against the current the best and are doing laps of the tank quite comfortably.

Here is a picture of the Rasbora. Only managed to get 4 in the pic as my photography skills are not the best The picture doesn't do the colour justice either as they definitely have a red tint going on.

rasbora.jpg

Meeko2690
I have found the missing one just under a piece of wood. He is gone sadly. Down to 5.

mattgirl
I have found the missing one just under a piece of wood. He is gone sadly. Down to 5.
I am sorry to hear this. I know it is heart breaking but sadly it happens often when new fish are trying to get acclimated to their new environment. Some are just not strong enough to survive the transition.

Meeko2690
The tank is positioned next to my bed and when I woke up this morning they all came to the side and greeted me, well at least that is how I am taking it

I've tested my levels each day since I got the Harlequins and the levels have been good, no sign of ammonia or nitrite and nitrate remains between 5-10ppm. Will give it a week, and add another 6/7 so they have a proper school. I do feel slightly bad for them though as the tank is pretty bare. I have a lot of plants coming on Tuesday including water spirte so hopefully they will like that.

Meeko2690
Update time! I have posted before about the deaths of the Harlequins so will leave that in those threads;

Current stocking:
x 2 Blue Powder Dwarf Gourami
x 7 Harlequin Rasbora
and todays newest addition...

ryss.jpg

I know people will say he isn't compatible with the Harlequins, however this fella was housed in a tank with Harlequins at the store and I've been assured there was no issues. If there is issues at any stage I will re-home or return to the store so don't worry and yes I know how large they can get but he is too good looking to resist IMO.

He has assumed control of the lavarock and looks happy (if a fish can even look happy?). He also does have the white tip on his tail but you can't make it out in the picture. I'll have some pictures up shortly.

mattgirl
Beautiful fish !!!! I can see why you couldn't resist getting him.

Red Tailed Shark ?

Meeko2690

dg.jpg

One of the Dwarf Gourami, he is a male right? You can kinda see the other one hiding at the back behind the filter intake.

dg1.jpg

The RTS returning home after exploring and you can see the fin that is missing from the DG, hopefully will impove with time

tank1mnth.jpg

Some plants growing and doing well, some not so well, but I think its a learning process when it comes to plants, and I am willing to learn on that process. I tried to get a picture of the Harlequins but they move so quick so it's quite hard to do so but rest assured there are 7 there.

Next steps for me (assuming there are no more deaths - touch wood) are to add floating plants for the DG, as currently there are not many places for them to hide.
I am thinking of a minI tree to place in the middle of the tank where the RTS is in this picture, and adding some sort of plant to it so it actually looks like a tree, preferably a hollow one where fish can hide if required. Maybe throw in some small stones here and there to add a bit more to the substrate.

I also want to add an airstone (possibly do this in the hollow part of the tree? if it is possible but I'll look into it.). Main reason for the airstone is I currently have the filter output breaking the water and it is pretty loud when I am trying to sleep although in saying that I've not had any issues sleeping so far. So I can move the output back under the water line and have the airstone break up the water and hopefully that will be a bit quieter.

I like the addition of the black background it really makes some of the colour pop more so happy with that.

I am looking into a quarantine tank, I have manged to make some space in the cabinet for this but I am concerned that the cat will easily access it. So I am looking at potential options there but not in any rush to do so. Speaking of the cat, he is completely fine with the tank, doesn't try to climb on it, he sometimes sits on the chest of drawers next to the tank and just watches the fish swim.

In terms of stocking additions; I am unsure at this stage and will probably do a bunch of research on what fish are compatible with what I have and what I like before I make the next addition so could be a little while.

Progress being made

Beautiful fish !!!! I can see why you couldn't resist getting him.

Red Tailed Shark ?

Yeah he (think its a he) is a RTS.

Sarah73
Got a question for you. Did you know that you can only have one rts?

Meeko2690
Got a question for you. Did you know that you can only have one rts?

Yeah and I only have one.

Sarah73
I know you do Just making sure

bizaliz3
this fella was housed in a tank with Harlequins at the store and I've been assured there was no issues.

That's cuz he's a juvenile! Compatibility is about adult fish. Not juvies.

Meeko2690
That's cuz he's a juvenile! Compatibility is about adult fish. Not juvies.

Yup, which is why I went for him. As I said in my original post, if he becomes an issue then someone will be getting re-homed or returned.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishFrenzy1
Replies
Views
APColorado
Replies
Views
Wardonianfungus
Replies
Views