50l Stocking Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by Esimm03, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Esimm03

Esimm03 Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    I'm currently in the process of cycling my new 50 litre nano reef, I'm planning on moving my cuc and coral over from my 15 litre Pico tank, which is removed all the LR from.

I'd like these in the tank, could anybody compose a stocking that incorporates any of these?

Chromis
    Tail spot blenny
    Neon goby
    Cleaner /fire shrimp
    Hermet crab
    Turbo snail
    Clownfish
    Jade wrasse
    Court jester goby
    Watchman goby
    Hi fin red banded goby
    Yellow goby

Thanks
    Ethan IMG_20180416_234207_648.jpg IMG_20180415_171116.jpg IMG_20180416_234207_647.jpg

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I'm going to say your limited to a turbo, hermits, and maybe one goby. It's a small aquarium and your adding coral so it limits it even more. i would stay away from the chromis until you have a bigger aquarium, maybe go with the court jester. I would stay away from all damsels and watchmens because they can be a bit agrressive in my expierience. maybe you could get a shrimp in your future.

3. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

I currently have 2 sexy shrimp, 2 hermet crabs and a turbo snail, from my pico tank.

My LFS said I could do a clown pair. I would stay with a smaller veriety such as occolaris. Id definitely like a shrimp and goby, so I may look into the pairs available at my LFS.

Ethan

4. D

The reason i didn't say clowns is because i feel like they really benefit from an anenome which i think your tank is too small for.

5. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ok, I ahve hered of similar coral, I have a hammerhead, but i think the tenticals are not long enough, would a torch work?

Also would a maxi mini anemone work?

Ethan

6. D

I've never hads clowns that have gone in torch or hammerhead, but i've heard others have had success with this. You might be okay with the carpet, since their are similar carpet anenomes that are hosts to ocellaris species. However, it really depends on the species and fish in general to find what they like.

7. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

From the list I would eliminate:

Chromis
    Turbo Snail
    Jade Wrasse
    Watchman Goby
    Possibly the clownfish and if you do get one only get a single Occ or Percula variety

I do have to disagree with the bit about the clowns and the 'nem. The reason being that many clowns are captive bred these days and don't have a clue with what to do with one. If the clown is wild caught, then yes it would definitely have a 'nem host. Clowns being hosted by corals isn't the best option as they can damage them. Get a captive bred clown and skip the 'nem as they are more demanding for light and require a well established aquarium to boot.

8. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ok, I may get a carpet anemone, but I'll see how they do, just tested the water.... Ammonia had been stuck at 2ppm for days, but I tested it this morning and it was 1, so hopefully once it's down, and down for a few days I can add my coral and cuc.

This is probably what my stocking will be:

2x occolaris clownfish
    3-4x hermet crabs
    2x sexy shrimp
    1x fire shrimp
    1-2x nano goby of some sort (probably clown goby as it's the cheapest ).

Ethan

9. Jesterrace

You are moving too quickly there. The Ammonia is just the first stage of the process. The Ammonia needs to break down to nitrites and then nitrates. You should then wait for a brown algae bloom to start coming in and then add some form of clean up crew. Once that is done THEN you can start slowly adding corals and fish.

10. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ok, I'm just exited, I'm also glad to see the ammonia go down as it's been up for a while now. There is what seems to be the beginning of an algae of some sort on the rocks. In my pocket tank I never had an algae bloom, which was strange.... I tested my water and so did my lfs, both showed cycled results. 6 months on there is still no algae and the coral is thriving. Is this just pure luck? Or is it something to do with the carbon I added?

Ethan

11. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Just tested and ammonia is down to 0.50 ppm, here are some pics of the beginnings of the algae...

Hopefuly ammonia will be gone by the end of the week, then I will test for everything else. When my test kit shows as cycled I'll leave it for a few days and get it tested at my LFS as they use red sea...

Ethan 20180418_171944.jpg

12. Jesterrace

I would turn off the lights during the early part of the cycle as they will do premature algae growth. Just my opinion but algae growth with ammonia and nitrites present isn't the best of things. Once your ammonia and nitrites are gone and the nitrates drop down, then turn on the lights and let the brown algae bloom happen.

13. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ok, they were on a timer but I'll turn them off anyway... It's near ish a window and housed some cold water fish before I converted it... There was quite a lot of algae growth in the front panel but I have a small blade I can use to scrub it off
    Ethan

14. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Hi,
    So I've just tested and ammonia is gone.

Results:
    Ammonia:0ppm
    Nitrite:2ppm
    Nitrate:40ppm
    Ph:8.4

Now for the nitrate and nitrite, what will happen with them?, I'll do another 50% water change later on. I also have cheato in the filter as nutrient export. Anything else I can do?

Ethan

15. thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch Well Known Member Member

Wait.

That's about it

16. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

, I'll have to..... It will be tough....

17. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Getting better....

Any idea what these white worms are?
    20180420_203015.jpg 20180420_202544.jpg

18. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Got it tested at my lfs and myself and it's cycled , I've moved some coral over and it seems to like it... Aka its opening up and looks happy. I'll see how it goes before getting fish.

Ethan
    20180424_164113.jpg

19. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

20. Jesterrace

They could be the start of bristleworms or possibly featherdusters. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not something else. Incidentally what is that last fish?

Oh and BTW, I would switch from API to Red Sea for the long run. API is prone to give false positives for ammonia periodically and the nitrate test is horribly inaccurate (not good for a small tank). Here are some comparisons between API and Red Sea and why it's worth the switch:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice