50L or 70L Tank

1. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi everybody,
    I am thinking of buying a new tank soon to re home my male coral blue dwarf gourami, 5 neons, 4 baby mollies and 2 albino cory catfish who are currently in a 20L tall tank which i know is too small for them!
    My question is what size would be better for them, a 50L or a 70L? I seen both size tanks at pet domain yesterday, they are the blue planet brand, very nice tanks! I am a bit frightened of getting a bigger tank but i know these little guys need more room. Would a 50L suffice them or should i just bite the bullet and buy the 70L? I am scared but excited at the thought of a nice big tank! Any suggestions or advice would really help me, thank you in advance!

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Bigger the better bigger tanks are actually easier to manage the water conditions of.

3. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Always go for the biggest and longest that you can afford and accommodate. Most fish appreciate length over height. It will actually be easier to maintain a bigger tank than a smaller one.

4. codyrex97

I don't know what the benchmarks are for Liter tanks but 20 gallon (75 Liter) is considered the minimum for corydoras, and a 20 long is better than tall.

5. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Haha i knew it! The bigger the better huh! Im terrified at the thought lol
    Here is the dimensions:
    Dimensions: 58 x 49.5 x 32cm (LxDxH); Water Capacity: 70 LitresIs that good?

6. codyrex97

It's probably manageable. What is the next largest tank? Or are you not interested in going any bigger?

7. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

I actually didn't really look at bigger ones than that because i don't have the room for anything much bigger. I want to put this new tank on my solid wooden toy box in my living room. The toy box measures 37 inches long by 19 inches wide. So by the dimensions of the tank i think its a VERY close fit!

8. codyrex97

I'm not sure but I feel as though the 70 is smaller than people would recommend for those fish. I could be wrong since I'm not a stocking expert so I'm unsure. If the biggest you can do is 70 then get 70!

9. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Well Cody, the 70L is all i can manage in my house, i cant possibly go any bigger. The new tank being 50L bigger than the tank my fish are currently in has got to be better! It might not be ideal but surely its better than what i currently have. They are very happy little fish, i just want whats best for them in the long run.

10. codyrex97

A lot better and definitely the right choice for them!

11. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If those are the dimensions of the box you want to put it on, you can easily do a 30 or 45 gallon tank which your mollys would need. A 20g would be too small, IMO. But is this toy box going to be able to support the weight of a tank?

12. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi el337,
    I am not 100% sure if the Toy Box will hold a large tank like we are talking about but its solid wood and the ends of the top lip over the walls of it, if that makes sense at all. Here is a photo of it with my 30L tank on it atm:
    [​IMG]
    How could i know if it will hold such weight as a 70L or bigger?

13. el337

It looks like it should hold especially if it's solid wood. Let's see what others think. Either way, I think a 30g would be the minimum I would go with.

14. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Oh my, 30 gallons is 115L. Im not confident in buying something that big at all. 70L is as big as i feel confident with right now being only fairly new to fish keeping. Im sure my fish will be happy with a 70L since they are only in a small 20L atm, it will be a nice big change for them as i see it. Perhaps not ideal yes but at least im trying :)

15. el337

You could do a 29g which has the exact same footprint as a 20g long (30"x12") but the 29 is taller and more gallons which will be better for the mollies.

16. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Thank you but im not going that big. I will make up for the lesser gallons by taking extra special care of my fish, their water, plants food and love. But i am totally not going that big right now sorry! My little 1 bedroom home is occupied with 1 cat, 1 dog, 4 finches and 50 fish!!! Oh and me, i live there too lol

17. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi everybody,
    Ok so you all made me feel guilty about the tank size and i had a think about it. I happened to be in a pet store yesterday and seen a beautiful big tank on a stand with a hood too. Its 100L! Well, it actually looks 120L I'll have to get proper measurements of it. But you will be happy to know its on hold for me and i will pick it up in a few weeks! I am absolutely terrified of it but its going to be mine wee hoo :D

18. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

A little over 26g.. not too bad! Much better than what they're in now.
    Your fish are going to love you to pieces!
    Congratulations :)

19. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Thank you! I cant wait to get it, it comes with a filter only so i need a heater and all the other cool stuff too. Its going to cost a pretty penny but my fish will be over the moon! I am so excited :)

20. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Be sure to move all of your media over to the new tank, and check parameters to make sure its fully cycled.
    And dont forget to up your schools! (Same species)