50g

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK, so I am setting up a blog for each of my 4 tanks. This one is obviously about my 50G breeder tank...

Currently housed in it are my two Three Spot (Blue) gouramis (M/F) - called BG from here on; and 6 honey gouramis. From what I can tell, I have 3 males and 3 females (no idea how that worked out!).

I am trying to get the BG to breed. Attempt #1 failed. The male finally figured out that he's supposed to blow a bubble nest instead of just trying to 'get it on' with the female, but his attempts have failed to date. I am about to separate them for another week's conditioning.

My honeys were blowing nests, so I put them in the breeder tank too, but no nests yet. Also dealing with a mini-cycle, so am getting that under control before conditioning everyone again.

I know the advice on keeping multiple male gouramis together, and mixing gourami species, but all of mine seem to get along. I have plenty of room to rehouse if things turn bad, and plan on taking out all the females on successful spawns.

Pics will be updated when hubby gets home with his laptop (that's where the photos are stored).

Comments are welcome!

zoecee

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
lol your tank sound really cool. Do you think you could put picture of it up???? Im sorry about your fish not breeding though keep trying an itll work out though best of luck

Zoe

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, I found out why the tank was/is mini-cycling.

Turns out the HOB is only rated to 800L/h, and was failing miserably to keep up with the tank. When I started playing around with it, it decided to crash completely!!!

I am now trying desperately to get my hands on a canister filter for under $120, which is no easy feat in Melbourne at short notice. Suddenly my previously trusted suppliers have decided NOT to price match. Which is an incredible pain in the *hmmmm* since I have been out of work for a month (due to my illness a couple of weeks ago), and don't go back till next week!

I have moved everyone out of the 50G until filtration can be restored.
Unfortunately the 55G and 180G have just had a gourami influx!

Did I mention?

EDIT: Lesson #1 learnt: Stop buying tanks and equip from my mate's brother.
Lesson #2 learnt: Have a look at the darn flow rate of the filter if I ignore lesson #1, instead of believing said mate when he says that it has "over-filtration". :indifferent0028:

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
well, today started off as a nightmare, but ended up pretty good!

I went to my LFS under the slim chance they might have a HOB or canister filter in my price range, without me having to drive over an hour to the other side of the city.

Sitting on the top shelf, so dusty you could barely see it, I made out the words Aquaclear 500! Igot the filter for 30% off, and he threw in a corner filter and some airline tubing for free!!

One word: SCORE!!! arty0009:

new filter is rated to 500G/h, or 1900L/h. Not bad!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow. I didn't realise how long it has been since I updated on this tank. ops: Sorry for being so slack!

I haven't changed the stocking in this tank, but one of the honeys died with suspected dropsy, and another jumped out of the tank a month or so ago (still no idea why). The tank is now completely sealed.

Hubby kept complaining that this tank looked like a creek bed, and was no where near as attractive as my other tanks. I ended up upgrading my lighting last week to T5HO and decided well, if he thinks it looks like a creek bed, I might as well go with the flow!

Here are some pics of the new 'creek bed', and the inhabitants (Lady, Tramp, 4 honeys and a bn pleco).

Enjoy!

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom