50g Sump For 125g Tank (don't Want To Reinvent The Wheel)

Jeff Boudreau

Reaction score
Hi all!
I just purchased a 125g tank and have a 50g I want to use as a sump. There are a ton of threads out there on this, but few for this size of a sump and I'm looking for some plans by someone that is happy with what they have. I just know there are people with better knowledge and experience that already have this information, I'm just finding it difficult to locate.

Also, I'm planning on having my sump in the basement and display on first floor, I know that will obviously take a significantly bigger return pump, but anything else I need to consider about a setup like that?

Thanks very much!

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont have time at the moment to give you full data on the build but I can help you out later today/tomorrow. Super busy day at work.
What are the dimensions of your tank and how much room do you have under your tank in the stand vertically

Jeff Boudreau

Reaction score
I don't have it in my possession yet, but I should this weekend. I'll post that info as soon as I have it. The goal is to place the sump in my basement, not in my stand so I'm not concerned about it fitting in the cabinet.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had a customer yesterday come in who had a 250 gallon tank built into his wall, and the pipes to the sump were actually in his walls to the basement. Completely hidden. Ironically, he knew absolutely nothing about fish or aquariums. He had one fish that he didn’t even know the name of. Lol. Such a waste of a beautiful sized tank and system.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have it in my possession yet, but I should this weekend. I'll post that info as soon as I have it. The goal is to place the sump in my basement, not in my stand so I'm not concerned about it fitting in the cabinet.
So you will have quite a bit of vertical height with your supply and return. That will be interesting. Gonna need a good pump. Do some measurements for the drop height and I can calculate how much pump head you will need.

Jeff Boudreau

Reaction score
OK, The smaller tank that will be my sump is 48 X 12 and 20 deep.

I'm also planning on having the 125 tank drilled, so if there are plans you can point me to assist in selecting the number of bulkheads and sizes that would be great. I had a marine tank for a couple years, years ago, so I only know the basics, but I'm taking this build really slow and I want to do it right (and it will take some time to afford everything :) )

Not asking you to do all the work, but if this has been done before (and I know it has) I'm just looking to copy a good plan.

Thanks a bunch!

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK, The smaller tank that will be my sump is 48 X 12 and 20 deep.

I'm also planning on having the 125 tank drilled, so if there are plans you can point me to assist in selecting the number of bulkheads and sizes that would be great. I had a marine tank for a couple years, years ago, so I only know the basics, but I'm taking this build really slow and I want to do it right (and it will take some time to afford everything :) )

Not asking you to do all the work, but if this has been done before (and I know it has) I'm just looking to copy a good plan.

Thanks a bunch!
Are you drilling it or having it drilled? You need 4 bulkheads. I would go with 1". The best ones (the ones I use and Joey Mullen uses)

One in each corner and two roughly centerline with 12" between the center 2.
Do you want to do a weir for your supply lines? (To sump). You can do an intank overflow box or a PVC pipe with notches. PVC can be painted with black plastic dip or I can tell you how to make a 3D background to hide the pipes completely.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you drilling it or having it drilled? You need 4 bulkheads. I would go with 1". The best ones (the ones I use and Joey Mullen uses)

One in each corner and two roughly centerline with 12" between the center 2.
Do you want to do a weir for your supply lines? (To sump). You can do an intank overflow box or a PVC pipe with notches. PVC can be painted with black plastic dip or I can tell you how to make a 3D background to hide the pipes completely.
The other option and I have done this. Make a custom hood out of 1x8 lumber for the tank. Put 1x2 in the inside as framing and so it rests on the lip of the tank. This should let the 1x8 cover the plastic rim and say another 1/2" . Then you have a plywood top to it and make cutouts for your lids as well as a cutout for your lighting. Then you can drill through the wood for supply and return and you dont have to drill the tank. This will significantly lower your cost.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom