50g Sump Design For 150g Display Tank Help

1. Roddawg Initiate Member

Hi Everybody, Im Rod and new to this group, Im also new to the ideas of Sumps, before I ever if ever move to the expensive Saltwater setups, Im staying with my brought up love of Cichlids and as a whole the standard (haha-anything but) tropical tanks. Yes I have done a fair bit of research, though applying what you learn to what you do can lead to some oversights.

I have acquired Display Tank
    Tank Dimension (inside) 150 x 66H x 57W
    Tank Size (L) 564. litres /150G

so the total project is for my 12year twin boys, starting from scratch, we even Built the stand (building) from the plans of Joey (KingofDIY) as my twins are avid followers so in a way we are kind working in reverse.. since we have no clue what fish we will end up with in such a bloody big tank ...for us it is. So with my years in aquariums be it limited to simple cannisters etc this is our new and next project. designing the sump drilling the tank and well finishing the cabinet as we go. Following this will be doing automatic water changes system, and diy lighting, with a diy auto solar preheater and solar axcillary powersystem...step by step so clearly months and months of designing to come for each stage.. but firstly

Can you guys please give me feedback with my sump design.. will it work? won't it? and pro's con's
    I have attempted to create a kinda reasonable attempt of a diagram for you to look at with its details
    Thanks a tonne in advance. sump.png

2. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

It's a nice design and definitely will work. Personally I'd lower the height of the baffles so they're not nearly flush with the top of the tank.

3. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I agree with making sure your baffles are low enough to make sure your sump womt overflow

4. Roddawg Initiate Member

Thanks Mike, oh yeah sorry, one detail I had omitted is that before determining the baffle heights exactly I will be doing a display tank drain from the overflow to to the sump to determine exactly the heights and will then allow a 1/2inch. (Ideally I would have liked another 3 or 4 inches in sump height, but free is free...) in addition to that, I will of course take into consideration the displacement of the media so not to have a complete UH OH! and well the spare chamber can be used for whatever additional features, along with this I will also eventually be adding a self regulating drain just above the high water mark to garden on the sump for my auto water changer.