500 ways to be a better freshwater fishkeeper

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Got this book from the library the other day and so far is turning out to be quite good. It has a ton of info like plant life,substrates,lighting,deco,etc. The book is copyrighted from 2005 so not too old. The names are too many to list(bottom of cover says "Hints and tips from a team of experts") but the publisher says "A Firefly Book".

So far a great resource.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to see if our library has it.
Carol

Borisbbadd

Sounds like a good book.

Even though you can get tons of information from the internet, I still like things in book form.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Borisbbadd said:
Sounds like a good book.

Even though you can get tons of information from the internet, I still like things in book form.
I like the Internet but love books. I just like the feel of holding them and marking places to go back and read again
Carol

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It does sound interesting.
I like to sit and read also. Sadly the fish books at my library are really dated.

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Any cool facts or tips?

Chris

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The internet is great for info but sometimes the info you get is conflicting from one site to the next. Also you could happen on information that was put up by a griever or bitter person that is in direct conflict to how it happens in reality(because they were PO'd when posting). It is way too easy to put information on the internet for everyone to come across whereas to get a book published, I would assume there has to be some sort of proof or reference to your info before getting published and printed.

I don't know just my :

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lucy said:
It does sound interesting.
I like to sit and read also. Sadly the fish books at my library are really dated.
I started collecting aquarium/fish books many years ago and some of them are really old(1955,1962) but the pictures of some of the fish are awesome(even if the names have change )

I think just about anybody can publish a book if they have the money to publish it but with a book you can have time to think about it and decide if what their saying makes sense or not I just like books and this one sounds like a good one.
Carol

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For Chris

Quoted directly from the book:

Better Fish Buying

Number 225-
"Find out all you can about a fish before buying it"
"Never buy a fish on impulse. First ensure you are not taking on something that will cause you or its tank-mates problems now or in the future. Possible pitfalls could relate to compatibility, diet, size or water chemistry that you cannot easily replicate in your own aquarium. If you are unsure about the suitability of a fish seek your dealer's advice(not sure about that one lol). If your dealer is unable to help, ask to have the fish reserved for you until you can do more research."

Again not too sure about asking the dealer(this pertains to Petco/Petsmart employees lol), and not sure if the dealer would reserve a fish for you but decent suggestions for a newbie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent suggestions! Breeders will reserve them for you and prefer to do so until your tank is ready. chain stores really don't care, they make their money by selling first come/first serve.

The LFS I deal with will reserve and order fish for you. On the front of their store it says"Owned by hobbyist serving hobbyist" I thought that was cool.
Carol

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This sounds like a great book to keep on hand for reference, too.

Thanks for the info, Blkdeath!

Alienator064

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've read this book two and thought it was great.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't have any books on fish care but would like to buy a good one. I will look for this one next time I visit a Chapters store. I have always preferred books to the internet, even though I know there is a lot of good info out there, it's sifting through it that is time consuming.

Thanks, blkdeath75, for the tip!

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've read this book and it is okay. I would never buy it because it does not have enough "depth" to be worth reading more than once or to tell you all that you would want to know about a topic.

I got it from the public library and it makes a fine book for reading in short bursts because you can just leave off when you hit the end of a tip.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads