50% water changes and the Python water changer

AcornTheBetta

Hi all!
I am considering getting a python/asking for one for Christmas, and was wondering if you are filling the tank back up with tap water, how do you dechlorinate it? If you do a 50% WC and then fill it up all the way and then dechlorinate, wouldn't that hurt the fish and plants? Hope that makes sense! Thanks!

Dechi

You dechlorinate with enough product for the whole tank (not 50%) and you do it while filling the tank. You can put the cap filled with dechlorinator under the water stream from the python, to help disperse it.

Upvote 0

TheWalkman

I’ve been filling my tank straight from the hose/python for the last two year and I’ve never had an issue. Just add the amount of dechlorinator for the amount I’m changing plus a few ml more into the tank then turn the water on.

Upvote 0

JayAlva

I hook my python to a garden hose and fill from there. At first I was annoyed rolling it up but I've grown to love it. It makes bigger tank water changes so easy. Beats the buckets!

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Ok. Thanks!
You dechlorinate with enough product for the whole tank (not 50%) and you do it while filling the tank. You can put the cap filled with dechlorinator under the water stream from the python, to help disperse it.
Does this way work with seachem prime? When it disperses does it keep dechlorinating until the tank is full?

Upvote 0

jake37

I'm paranoid so i fill a pail with a bit of prime and then pump it into the tank. This also allows me to preheat the water during winter before adding it to the tank. A lot depends on the condition of your tap water. Ours is actually pretty good but some of my fishes are a bit sensitive.
-
Btw when i say pail i use a rubber maid 40 gallon thingy so it isn't a little 2 gallon pail

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Ok. Thanks!

Does this way work with seachem prime? When it disperses does it keep dechlorinating until the tank is full?
Yup. I don't even do the dispersal thing. I just throw the capful right in the half drained tank and start filling. The current from the fill up is enough to spread it around. The only precaution I take is I wait 10 minutes before I turn the HOB back on. This protects my BB in case the prime takes a minute to spread out and work.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I'm paranoid so i fill a pail with a bit of prime and then pump it into the tank. This also allows me to preheat the water during winter before adding it to the tank. A lot depends on the condition of your tap water. Ours is actually pretty good but some of my fishes are a bit sensitive.
-
Btw when i say pail i use a rubber maid 40 gallon thingy so it isn't a little 2 gallon pail
Ok. I was thinking of doing something along those lines.
Yup. I don't even do the dispersal thing. I just throw the capful right in the half drained tank and start filling. The current from the fill up is enough to spread it around. The only precaution I take is I wait 10 minutes before I turn the HOB back on. This protects my BB in case the prime takes a minute to spread out and work.
Ok. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Chris1212

The only precaution I take is I wait 10 minutes before I turn the HOB back on. This protects my BB in case the prime takes a minute to spread out and work.

Good idea. I'm paranoid about my water changes and always seem to put extra Prime in. I still find it hard to believe such a small but works on as much water as it does...and so quickly.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Good idea. I'm paranoid about my water changes and always seem to put extra Prime in. I still find it hard to believe such a small but works on as much water as it does...and so quickly.
I'm pretty sure I always OD prime since it's hard to get the right amount for 1.5 gallons lol

Upvote 0

jake37

If your tank is only 1.5 gallons just use a pail. You can get a nice one at target, lowes, home depot or your grocery store. Just make sure your mom doesn't put mr. clean or similar in it.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

If your tank is only 1.5 gallons just use a pail. You can get a nice one at target, lowes, home depot or your grocery store. Just make sure your mom doesn't put mr. clean or similar in it.
This is for my 29g so I think I'll just have a 5g bucket next to the tank and fill it up, dechlorinate, and then pour it in. Repeat

Upvote 0

jake37

That works but if your water is cold during the winter (if your location is the bay area that is probably not the case); then do preheat it with a heater.

This is for my 29g so I think I'll just have a 5g bucket next to the tank and fill it up, dechlorinate, and then pour it in. Repeat

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

That works but if your water is cold during the winter (if your location is the bay area that is probably not the case); then do preheat it with a heater.
Water temp shouldn't be a problem.

Upvote 0

Dechi

Ok. Thanks!

I’ve been told it takes about 10 minutes to fully dechlorinate, which is why smaller water changes help. Or doing it in a bucket first.

Honestly I’ve never had any problems with the direct method while doing reasonable percentages of water changes.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I’ve been told it takes about 10 minutes to fully dechlorinate, which is why smaller water changes help. Or doing it in a bucket first.

Honestly I’ve never had any problems with the direct method while doing reasonable percentages of water changes.
So as long as it takes less than 10 mins for me to fill the tank after adding prime, I'm good? I doubt it would take me that long to fill about 15 gallons.

Upvote 0

Dechi

So as long as it takes less than 10 mins for me to fill the tank after adding prime, I'm good? I doubt it would take me that long to fill about 15 gallons.

What I meant was once the dechlorinator is in the tank, it takes 10 minutes for the water to be fully dechlorinated.

But, I think you’ll be fine anyways. Most of us just put the dechlorinator while filling and we don’t have problems. Just don’t do too big of a water change. 25% is good.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
toeknee
Replies
Views
foreverlearning
Replies