50% water change? 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by beginner, Dec 23, 2012.

1. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

i'm just wondering if anyone thinks a 50% water change is too extreme. i'm changing 30% twice a week already. I just think that big of a change with mess with the cycle. my nitrates are 40 after a 30% pwc

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Personally, I don't think 50% is too much, as long as it's only once a week. I change 50% weekly on my smaller 5 & 10 gallon tanks, and my cycle isn't affected. Just make sure that you leave the filter media alone.

3. OP
    OP
    beginner

thanks for the reply. its just seems kinda odd to see the tank half empty but, changing that much water I never need to worry about water quality issues, ie, PH drift

4. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

It doesn't mess with the cycle. The bacteria aren't in the water, but in the media in your filter. As long as your water is treated it won't effect your cycle.

5. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I change 50% or more weekly on both my tanks.

You can change as much water as you want and won't affect anything. Bacteria is not free floating.

6. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I do 90% changes every week on my Discus grow out tank and on my 280 I do 70% to make sure my water is pristine.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

50% water changes should be fine for your tank. For my 33g long, I remove most all of the water only leaving enough water in the tank for my fish to swim upright.

Ken

8. shellieca

shellieca Valued Member Member

50% is fine, I do that weekly on all 5 of my tanks. When I was fish IN cycling I had to 2 in one day with no adverse effects. To get your nitrates down I'd do 2 in one day, maybe a 50%, wait an hour or so, retest & do another 30-50% if nitrates are still high.

9. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

We change out 50% weekly on all of our tanks. If your nitrates are 40, then you have no choice but to do big water changes and also, find out why they're so high.

10. OP
    OP
    beginner

I think the nitrates are high because of the bio load, being 18, 4 inch mbuna's. and two large synodontis cats

11. h

hobo Valued Member Member

I change at least 75% of the water every week with no problems

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I do 80% changes. As long as the water chemistry of your source water isn't much different than your tank water, you can do 100% changes if you want

Your water changes have to be large enough to keep up with the nitrate production, otherwise they will slowly climb despite your changes.

13. OP
    OP
    beginner

I changed 50% last night and it brought the nitrates down to 20:) but really changing that much water all it does is make them spawn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice