$50 shipping from Aquahuna?

Robinn

Member
Hello!

I was about to order some embers off Aquahuna but I realized shipping is $50....is this standard? Should I risk buying from Petco or is the shipping really worth it?
 

SouthAmericanCichlids

Member
From there mine was like $15-30 I forget just precisely. I would try some other places online first, my go to is live aquaria, if you asked, I'm sure other people have ordered fish online and can say how they feel about them and if they have a high survival rate.
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
If shipping is to much then I wouldn’t risk petco I would look at any local fish stores around you
 

HarrisonAquatics

Member
Shipping costs are always going to be high when shipping fish - the exact cost will depend on your location and distance from the seller.

I've ordered fish, coral, and plants online before with no issues. Of course, each shipment will be different, and they can go badly, but I'd say more people will have a good experience than not.

Also, I'd like to mention that not ALL Petcos and Petsmarts are bad. I've worked at a couple different local fish/pet stores, as well as Petsmart, and to be honest with you, the experience with fish illness/death was the same at all of them. Some fish out of a shipment die, some come in with ich, others come in with parasites, and some do just fine. Now, if you know your Petco isn't good (you've seen/bought a lot of sick fish), then power to ya - it's probably better to support a LFS anyway.
 

mattgirl

Member
I noticed this just today. They explained the shipping charges are just this high for a couple of months because they have to ship them express mail to assure they will get to you in time. Once the holiday rush is over they will go back to their normal $12.99 priority.
 
  • Thread Starter

Robinn

Member
Thank you all for the replies! I would totally buy from my LFS but they don’t have any of the fish I want (at least not in stock, probably due to the pandemic). :/ I can’t really tell if my Petco is good or not since I’ve only bought rodents from there but I can take a closer look next time I’m over there. Anything I should be looking for in terms if common illnesses and stuff?
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
Robinn said:
Thank you all for the replies! I would totally buy from my LFS but they don’t have any of the fish I want (at least not in stock, probably due to the pandemic). :/ I can’t really tell if my Petco is good or not since I’ve only bought rodents from there but I can take a closer look next time I’m over there. Anything I should be looking for in terms if common illnesses and stuff?
Main things to look for when finding fish in petco is are they lethargic,have fin rot, ich if so don’t buy any from that tank, are there any dead ones in the tank if so don’t buy any from that tank, are their colors bright or dark, how responsive are they put your finger to the glass and see if they either back away or come over to it if they just don’t react usually don’t pick those
 

mimo91088

Member
AggressiveAquatics said:
Main things to look for when finding fish in petco is are they lethargic,have fin rot, ich if so don’t buy any from that tank, are there any dead ones in the tank if so don’t buy any from that tank, are their colors bright or dark, how responsive are they put your finger to the glass and see if they either back away or come over to it if they just don’t react usually don’t pick those
Not just that tank you need up look out for if you see illness. But in many Petcos, if you look close you can see the dividers in the tank racks. They're divided into sections that share the same filtration and water. In my local Petco it's 6 connected tanks per section.
 

swimmingslowly

Member
Robinn said:
Hello!

I was about to order some embers off Aquahuna but I realized shipping is $50....is this standard? Should I risk buying from Petco or is the shipping really worth it?
Not sure if this would sway your decision, but 2 weeks ago I ordered 10 cardinal tetras from Aquahuna. It was my first time ordering from them and took 2 days for them to arrive (at the time there was no option for express/overnight shipping). All 10 of the cardinals colored up soon after arriving and are doing great. I was pleasantly surprised!
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
mimo91088 said:
Not just that tank you need up look out for if you see illness. But in many Petcos, if you look close you can see the dividers in the tank racks. They're divided into sections that share the same filtration and water. In my local Petco it's 6 connected tanks per section.
Eew that’s kinda gross. I didn’t know that I won’t be buying from a petco that I see a single sick fish in
 

mimo91088

Member
AggressiveAquatics said:
Eew that’s kinda gross. I didn’t know that I won’t be buying from a petco that I see a single sick fish in
Just gotta pay attention to which ones are connected. I've gotten plenty of quality fish from my Petco. Even the best LFS gets sick fish sometimes.
 

SinisterCichlids

Member
What kind of fish are you looking to get?
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
mimo91088 said:
Just gotta pay attention to which ones are connected. I've gotten plenty of quality fish from my Petco. Even the best LFS gets sick fish sometimes.
Well I’m glad that I didn’t get a fish a couple of days ago. There was a little blood parrot that I kept telling myself if he’s still there I’ll get him and for the 5th time of telling myself that I almost got him but decided not to and now that I’m thinking about it the tank next to his had a big sign on it that said “sick fish under observation”
 

Tallen78

Member
Robinn said:
Hello!

I was about to order some embers off Aquahuna but I realized shipping is $50....is this standard? Should I risk buying from Petco or is the shipping really worth it?
Petco in providence RI is great believe it or not I’ve never seen one dead fish in any of there tanks the two ladies that run the fish department are on top of things and know about these fish which is crazy cause they don’t do orders they display what is sent I’m sure there are terrible ones for sure but this one is just as good as any of the lfs
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
From there mine was like $15-30 I forget just precisely. I would try some other places online first, my go to is live aquaria, if you asked, I'm sure other people have ordered fish online and can say how they feel about them and if they have a high survival rate.
Your go to is live aquaria? I've heard some good things and some bad things about them... They are owned by Petco...
 

JettsPapa

Member
mattgirl said:
I noticed this just today. They explained the shipping charges are just this high for a couple of months because they have to ship them express mail to assure they will get to you in time. Once the holiday rush is over they will go back to their normal $12.99 priority.
Thanks for this information. I was wondering what was going on, since I've ordered from them several times and their shipping was very reasonable.

AcornTheBetta said:
Your go to is live aquaria? I've heard some good things and some bad things about them... They are owned by Petco...
I don't have any personal experience with them, but a co-worker has several times and has been satisfied.
 

Pfrozen

Member
I split shipping with a friend yesterday and it still cost us 22 dollars each lol. Canada Post spent the last 10 years laying off all their staff so we basically don't have a national postal service right now LOL. No excuse for 50 dollar shipping in the US though, that's nonsense
 

mimo91088

Member
Pfrozen said:
I split shipping with a friend yesterday and it still cost us 22 dollars each lol. Canada Post spent the last 10 years laying off all their staff so we basically don't have a national postal service right now LOL. No excuse for 50 dollar shipping in the US though, that's nonsense
Unfortunately our post office isn't functioning very well down here right now either thanks to political reasons that I won't get into. Not the place to argue politics lol.
 

mattgirl

Member
With the recent postal glitches and the upcoming holiday over load I can understand their reason for going with the higher cost shipping service. This is the only way they can continue with their live arrival guarantee. If I was reading it right the higher shipping doesn't apply to some of their shrimp. It seems those shrimp can survive longer so if they are held up they should still arrive alive.

Hopefully they will have restocked their siamese algae eaters by the time the shipping rate goes back down. I am so fed up with this black beard algae and none of them are to be found near me. My one fish store couldn't get me any. :(
 
  • Thread Starter

Robinn

Member
SinisterCichlids said:
What kind of fish are you looking to get?
Ember tetras! I just found some at my local Petco the other day and they're really hard to find around me (I went on a spree going to like...5 different pet stores around me?....only to find the closest one keeps their embers at the back of their fish section :mad:). Otherwise just any fish I can keep in a 10g besides bettas (looking to expand my horizons a bit ;)).

Thanks to everyone for the additional replies, especially about connected tanks! Noted!

I also checked out LiveAquaria btw with similarly high shipping results. Looks like shipping live isn't ideal this time of year lol.
 

SinisterCichlids

Member
Robinn said:
Ember tetras! I just found some at my local Petco the other day and they're really hard to find around me (I went on a spree going to like...5 different pet stores around me?....only to find the closest one keeps their embers at the back of their fish section :mad:). Otherwise just any fish I can keep in a 10g besides bettas (looking to expand my horizons a bit ;)).

Thanks to everyone for the additional replies, especially about connected tanks! Noted!

I also checked out LiveAquaria btw with similarly high shipping results. Looks like shipping live isn't ideal this time of year lol.
If you are just looking for community fish I wouldn't pay that kind of shipping. And wow ember tetras and black skirts are literally plagued in every store around me. Yeah definitely keep an eye out at big box stores, go to each tank and look for illness and dead fish. You can get some really healthy fish from big box stores if they care about the animals.

I worked at petsmart while in school and although I couldn't control the type and quality of fish we got in. I brought my python, magfloat, and prime to work every day to ensure a stable environment.
 
Top Bottom