50 Pounds Live Sand For 75 Gallon Fowlr?

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Planning my 75 gallon FOWLR and I'm on a budget. I have one big obstacle and that is live sand. For 75 gallons it's recommended to have 80 pounds of live sand. However, 80 pounds instantly makes my shopping cart more than $300. I brought it down to 50 pounds and now it's $204, which is fine. Is 50 pounds good enough live sand for this tank? Do I even need live sand for a FOWLR?

nikm128

For how expensive it is and how little it will actually help, just skip it. Do normal sand and live rock

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Okay. Might do either normal sand or minimal live sand. I might plan on getting wrasses, so they might need to burrow. How many inches does the sand bed need to be for them to burrow safely?

Jesterrace

nikm128 said:
For how expensive it is and how little it will actually help, just skip it. Do normal sand and live rock
If you don't do live sand, do something like Argonite, FujI Pink, etc. The one thing I will give Live Sand is that it is about the perfect mix of substrate for a wide variety of fish and inverts. I still use live sand for that reason. To me though, given the cost of the hobby $1 per lb isn't that expensive.

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Could wrasses like Christmas or Hawaiian Saddle wrasses live without a deep sand bed? I know they like to burrow, but could they also be fine hiding in rocks?

nikm128

Jesterrace said:
If you don't do live sand, do something like Argonite, FujI Pink, etc. The one thing I will give Live Sand is that it is about the perfect mix of substrate for a wide variety of fish and inverts. I still use live sand for that reason. To me though, given the cost of the hobby $1 per lb isn't that expensive.
I wouldn't do Argonite for the whole substrate though, it tends to cause the hardness to skyrocket with that much. Then between evaporation and water changes it's always fluctuating.

Jesterrace

nikm128 said:
I wouldn't do Argonite for the whole substrate though, it tends to cause the hardness to skyrocket with that much. Then between evaporation and water changes it's always fluctuating.
Hence why I prefer to stick to live sand, I was just mentioning some alternatives that are popular choices.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom