50 litre tank centerpiece fish ideas?

Menolly

Hi!
I currently am looking for a new center piece fish for my 50 litre planted freshwater tank :)
Right now it has 8-9 white clouds and some shrimp (the shrimp are about to go over to my shrimp tank that I'm cycling at the moment). I have one female dwarf gourami in there right now, however; I am going to give her away/sell her as the tank is just not large enough for her to be happy. I was going to upgrade her to a larger tank, but do not have space for one in the foreseeable future.
I will not get a new center piece fish for a little while, but I would like some options to think about and to see what's available in my area :)
I had a few ideas for fish but am unsure if they will work in my tank size or how many of each to get,
My ideas are:
- Bluefin Notho
- Sparkling gourami
- Celestial pearl danio
- Scarlet badis
I am very open to other suggestions and criticism, just in the planning stage at the moment :)
Thankyou!

grac3

i vote for sparkling gouramis! you could have a few in there too. just make sure they're all one gender or you'll likely have babies ;)

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

All of those are good in a 50 liter. I say the killi, I adore killis!

Upvote 0

Menolly

All of those are good in a 50 liter. I say the killi, I adore killis!
I am leaning towards the killi, do you have any idea how many?
i vote for sparkling gouramis! you could have a few in there too. just make sure they're all one gender or you'll likely have babies ;)
I do love the sparkling gouramis, and I'm pretty sure they are available in one of my local fish places.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

White clouds can drive sparkling gouramis crazy in a tank that size. And no, you won't have gourami babies.

CPDs could go with white clouds but they are not centerpiece fish IMO.

Scarlet badis probably would like a temperature that white clouds may not like. And you need to be prepared to feed them micro live or frozen food.

Not sure which one the bluefin notho is, but nothos are not good community fish.

If you truly have a female dwarf gourami, get rid of everything else, get a male and try to breed them. A female dwarf gourami is a rare find.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Sorry! I just skimmed, and didn't see that you have tank mates! Sorry, but I do agree with veggieshark .

Upvote 0

Menolly

White clouds can drive sparkling gouramis crazy in a tank that size. And no, you won't have gourami babies.

CPDs could go with white clouds but they are not centerpiece fish IMO.

Scarlet badis probably would like a temperature that white clouds may not like. And you need to be prepared to feed them micro live or frozen food.

Not sure which one the bluefin notho is, but nothos are not good community fish.

If you truly have a female dwarf gourami, get rid of everything else, get a male and try to breed them. A female dwarf gourami is a rare find.
I do already feed my fish either frozen baby brine shrimp or bloodworms and fish flakes occasionally.
I actually had two female gouramis, but the one i have right now actually attacked it and took all its food until the other died :(( at least that's what I think happened. Because of this, I'm not sure if she would be a good breeding fish and she is already stressed out enough without another DG in there.

I might be able to put my white clouds in some of my other tanks - at the moment i have 4 in a different tank that I'm cycling and have enough space in my others for some.

Would you have any other recommendations for fish either with or without the white clouds?

Upvote 0

3876T

Hi!
I currently am looking for a new center piece fish for my 50 litre planted freshwater tank :)
Right now it has 8-9 white clouds and some shrimp (the shrimp are about to go over to my shrimp tank that I'm cycling at the moment). I have one female dwarf gourami in there right now, however; I am going to give her away/sell her as the tank is just not large enough for her to be happy. I was going to upgrade her to a larger tank, but do not have space for one in the foreseeable future.
I will not get a new center piece fish for a little while, but I would like some options to think about and to see what's available in my area :)
I had a few ideas for fish but am unsure if they will work in my tank size or how many of each to get,
My ideas are:
- Bluefin Notho
- Sparkling gourami
- Celestial pearl danio
- Scarlet badis
I am very open to other suggestions and criticism, just in the planning stage at the moment :)
Thankyou!
If you don't live in America or any other country where snakeheads are banned then I would definitely get a dwarf snakehead for ur tank

But according to the options, I will choose sparkling gouramis

Upvote 0

Menolly

If you don't live in America or any other country where snakeheads are banned then I would definitely get a dwarf snakehead for ur tank

But according to the options, I will choose sparkling gouramis
I live in Australia, so I doubt they will be available. I have a reptile license though so maybe I'll look into them :)

Upvote 0

veggieshark

If you meant bluefin killi (lucania goodei) by bluefin notho, it could work with the white clouds. You could try darters, if you can feed frozen/live food as you said. But these would be more like two different schools of fish rather than one school and one centerpiece, (My understanding of a centerpiece is something a little larger than others but less in numbers and that don't hide all the time.)

Upvote 0

Menolly

If you meant bluefin killi (lucania goodei) by bluefin notho, it could work with the white clouds. You could try darters, if you can feed frozen/live food as you said. But these would be more like two different schools of fish rather than one school and one centerpiece, (My understanding of a centerpiece is something a little larger than others but less in numbers and that don't hide all the time.)
I am also getting a live brine shrimp hatchery - I forgot to mention that before.
And I don't think it was a bluefin killi, I had just been doing some googling of nano tank fish ideas and the bluefin notho one came up a lot and it seemed to fit with my tank.
I did just look up the bluefin killi and it's a nice-looking fish. I'm not sure what darters are though? I just looked them up but couldn't find anything specific.
I would be happy with more than one school or a center piece - just looking for a pop of colour I guess

Upvote 0

Bettatakeover

What about a paradise fish for a centrepiece? Very similar in temperament to a betta but enjoy cooler waters. Or if you want a smaller pop of color I recommend a trio of a australe killifish. I have 1 make in my tank and he’s gorgeous. Don’t get 2 males though...mine killed the other male I had and they were in a fully planted 38G. He doesn’t bother anyone else though. Super fun little fish.

Attachments

• 679CA863-FDE7-44C5-9A4E-4697610E1745.jpeg
    679CA863-FDE7-44C5-9A4E-4697610E1745.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Menolly

What about a paradise fish for a centrepiece? Very similar in temperament to a betta but enjoy cooler waters. Or if you want a smaller pop of color I recommend a trio of a australe killifish. I have 1 make in my tank and he’s gorgeous. Don’t get 2 males though...mine killed the other male I had and they were in a fully planted 38G. He doesn’t bother anyone else though. Super fun little fish.
oh they sound really nice! Would they get along with my white clouds though?

Upvote 0

Bettatakeover

oh they sound really nice! Would they get along with my white clouds though?
Mine gets along with rummynose (similar size and activity level). He doesn’t bother anyone in the tank at all. His only issue was with the other male killi.
As for the paradise my LFS keeps one in a tank with white clouds. They seem to be more aggressive with other paradise/betta/gourami type fish.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

I am also getting a live brine shrimp hatchery - I forgot to mention that before.
And I don't think it was a bluefin killi, I had just been doing some googling of nano tank fish ideas and the bluefin notho one came up a lot and it seemed to fit with my tank.
I did just look up the bluefin killi and it's a nice-looking fish. I'm not sure what darters are though? I just looked them up but couldn't find anything specific.
I would be happy with more than one school or a center piece - just looking for a pop of colour I guess
Darters are North American fish that can endure colder waters. They will sit on rocks at the bottom and pretty much hop around. Search for "rainbow darter" and look at the pictures.

Upvote 0

Menolly

Mine gets along with rummynose (similar size and activity level). He doesn’t bother anyone in the tank at all. His only issue was with the other male killi.
As for the paradise my LFS keeps one in a tank with white clouds. They seem to be more aggressive with other paradise/betta/gourami type fish.
Okay - they sound pretty cool, I did some research on both and everywhere said different things about tank sizes - what size tank do you have yours in? and how many of the killis?
Darters are North American fish that can endure colder waters. They will sit on rocks at the bottom and pretty much hop around. Search for "rainbow darter" and look at the pictures.
Oh they are so cute! Are they a solitary sort of fish or do they like more of their species there as well?

Upvote 0

veggieshark

Oh they are so cute! Are they a solitary sort of fish or do they like more of their species there as well?
They like social distancing, but they enjoy each other's company. There will be some chasing around, but they are not aggressive. If you have half a palm sized stones, they will swim in and out of them and then sit on one of them to rest.

I just realized your are from Australia, so it may not be easy for you to get them. I sometimes catch them around here in rivers and lakes (not the prettiest kind but still nice).

Upvote 0

Menolly

They like social distancing, but they enjoy each other's company. There will be some chasing around, but they are not aggressive. If you have half a palm sized stones, they will swim in and out of them and then sit on one of them to rest.

I just realized your are from Australia, so it may not be easy for you to get them. I sometimes catch them around here in rivers and lakes (not the prettiest kind but still nice).
So maybe like two or three? They sound super cute honestly :)
And I was looking at where I could get them and I might look into ordering some online if I decide to go with them.

Upvote 0

Bettatakeover

Okay - they sound pretty cool, I did some research on both and everywhere said different things about tank sizes - what size tank do you have yours in? and how many of the killis?

I have mine in a 38G. My LFS only had males left so I originally had 2 but they did NOT get along despite many hides and no females. In a your tank could do a solo male or pair (you wouldn’t get any fry though unless you remove the eggs). Mine is super active, my daughter calls him rocket because he swims like one, (like guppy hyper) but they only get to about 2.5” (so again guppy size).

Upvote 0

Menolly

I have mine in a 38G. My LFS only had males left so I originally had 2 but they did NOT get along despite many hides and no females. In a your tank could do a solo male or pair (you wouldn’t get any fry though unless you remove the eggs). Mine is super active, my daughter calls him rocket because he swims like one, (like guppy hyper) but they only get to about 2.5” (so again guppy size).
that sounds pretty nice, I'll take a look around at where I can find some soon :) thankyou!!

Upvote 0

veggieshark

So maybe like two or three? They sound super cute honestly :)
And I was looking at where I could get them and I might look into ordering some online if I decide to go with them.
I don't know the footprint of a 50l tank. If the space allows I would do 5, but in your case maybe 3 is a good number. (The idea is not to go for a pair, but a loose group with some small distance between.)

Upvote 0

Menolly

I don't know the footprint of a 50l tank. If the space allows I would do 5, but in your case maybe 3 is a good number. (The idea is not to go for a pair, but a loose group with some small distance between.)
yeah that sounds good :) thankyou for your help!

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

This is highly dependent on where you are in the world, they are as readily available as males here in the Netherlands and it was the same in Wales. I'm not sure about Australia but it generally seems to be an American thing.
"Females are often hard to come by, a commonly quoted reason is, early American fish trade placing restrictions on popular fish species making only one gender available as to discourage breeding in the home aquarium."
My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius
I can't say this is 100% the case but I've heard from a source that this was a practice.

Paradise are wonderful fish, they are full of personality. In a 50litre I would limit it to just the one, though given the limited space he might not do well with other fish around, or more likely your Clouds might not do well with him around.

I would look in to Pseudosphromenus Dayi and Pseudosphromenus Cupanus. Both are smaller types of Paradise Gourami and have a more relaxed nature than the typical Macropodus Opercularis. Again it's hard to say just how well they would do with the Clouds. Keep a group of either.
It's important not to have too much flow with any of the Paradise Gourami.

Upvote 0

Menolly

This is highly dependent on where you are in the world, they are as readily available as males here in the Netherlands and it was the same in Wales. I'm not sure about Australia but it generally seems to be an American thing.
"Females are often hard to come by, a commonly quoted reason is, early American fish trade placing restrictions on popular fish species making only one gender available as to discourage breeding in the home aquarium."
My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius
I can't say this is 100% the case but I've heard from a source that this was a practice.

Paradise are wonderful fish, they are full of personality. In a 50litre I would limit it to just the one, though given the limited space he might not do well with other fish around, or more likely your Clouds might not do well with him around.

I would look in to Pseudosphromenus Dayi and Pseudosphromenus Cupanus. Both are smaller types of Paradise Gourami and have a more relaxed nature than the typical Macropodus Opercularis. Again it's hard to say just how well they would do with the Clouds. Keep a group of either.
It's important not to have too much flow with any of the Paradise Gourami.
Yeah, I think it's easier to find female gouramis in Australia, I can just get them from my local fish place (not pet store).

I'll look into those fish, they all sound nice and if i ended up getting them and they didn't get along with the white clouds, I have enough spare tanks that I could put the white clouds in :)

Upvote 0

veggieshark

Fair enough. Yes, it is hard to find them in the US. I thought that is a wholesaler practice rather than the buying country's practice but good to know at least in some part of the world that is not a problem.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RandomNewUser
  • Question
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views