50 litre Neon Tetra stocking

doohns

Reaction score
I currently have 9 neon tetra in a 50 litre tank. I have had them for a while now and they've done really well. However I have been wanting a few more additions to the tank and originally I was wanting a few guppies but decided I would prefer some black neon tetra or ember tetra. I would like to get 6 or one of the species to make a total of 15 fish in my tank. Is this overstocking my tank? And if not, would it be better to get the ember or the black neon? Thanks

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You do not have room for more fish. Especially not a school of fish, especieally not a school of 2.5 inch black neons.

FishyChild

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
doohns said:
I currently have 9 neon tetra in a 50 litre tank. I have had them for a while now and they've done really well. However I have been wanting a few more additions to the tank and originally I was wanting a few guppies but decided I would prefer some black neon tetra or ember tetra. I would like to get 6 or one of the species to make a total of 15 fish in my tank. Is this overstocking my tank? And if not, would it be better to get the ember or the black neon? Thanks
From my experience all of the smaller tetras will school together regardless of the small differences (like neon, black neon, and ember) I actually of a school of six (2 ember, 2black neon, and 2 neon) and they do really well. It is never really suggested to overcrowded but having a some more is always possible as long as more water changes are done to keep up with the biological load. The small group of mixed tetras that I have are with a honey gouramI (that is small but will probably soon be moved to my larger aquarium) in about 23litters if water (6gal) and they are thriving with weekly water changes of a gallon. So although not recommended you could get another small school of tetras, but more water changes would be required to keep up. I would recommend embers as I find them to be prettier. I hope I was able to be of help!

New Threads