50 Gallon Tank Stocking

1. J

JR- New Member Member

Hi everyone, I recently got a 50 gallon tank. I cycled it and stocked it with the following:
    3 angelfish
    7 tetras
    1 Siamese algae eater
    They all apear to be healthy and getting along fine.
    Am I Overstocked?
    I bought the tank second hand and realized the filter is meant for up to 40 gallons maximum even though the tank is 50 gallons. At this point I believe I have to add another filter. Do I have to add another filter or can I keep using the filter rated for a 40 gallon tank. (The filter is a fluval 205)
    I appreciate any replies as I am quite stressed Thanks for any help

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Firstly, as for the angels, they should be fine, but you may run into the issue if you happen to get a breeding pair; they'll definelty terrorize everyone, especially the other angel, so you'll want to keep an eye on that and have alternate options if it get stressful for the odd man out.

As for the tetra, what kind do you have? There are many lol, and our opinions on stocking can hangs depending on which tetras.

As for the filter, check the gph. You're pretty understocked, so I wouldn't worry too much about the filters/adding a second one as long as you're not going to add any more fish.

(And welcome btw!)

3. manzeez

manzeez Valued Member Member

you should get more Siamese algae eaters 3 or 4 would do well

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I would rehome one angelfish.

What are the dimensions of the tank and what type of tetra?

I'm pretty sure SAEs need cooler temps than angels, plus they should be kept in groups.

5. thebromitch

thebromitch New Member Member

3 seems to be the impossible number if angels for me to keep. I have never been able to keep 3 at a time as the aggression issues are out of control. If it works, cool. But I would monitor it closely because the aggression can set in at any time once they’re a little more mature.

Tetras nip at everything, so just keep that in mind when stocking.

I would also begin searching for a bigger filter. Idk how comfortable you are with apps like OfferUp and LetGo, but I was able to get a BRAND NEW, NEVER USED Fluval 406 for $40. This thing retails for over $200, so I’d look for aquarium supplies on one of these apps. Just be patient and wait for the right one at the right price and don’t buy the first one you see.

Happy stocking!

6. OP
    OP
    J

JR- New Member Member

Thanks for the reply :) Currently at the moment I have 7 lemon tetras. From my research I saw that lemon tetras could be put in with angelfish. I did see some people say that lemon tetras nipped their angelfish fins but generally the bigger majority of tetras are nippy fish, at least from what I researched. So far they seem to be doing great. All fish seem to be coinciding happily. I don't see any signs of stress or disease. The fluval 205 pumps out 180 gph. Although one thing has me concerned. I check aqadvisor and the website tells me I am a little bit overstocked. My stocking level is 93% and it should be kept under 85% It also tells me I need another filter and the great thing is I had a fluval 206 canister lying around. I think I might have to re home one angelfish just to get stocking under control:(

7. OP
    OP
    J

JR- New Member Member

My apologies, I believe it's is actually a 46 gallon bowfront
    Length: 36 inches
    Depth: 15 inches
    Height: 20 inches
    The tetras are lemon tetras
    The siamese algae eater is in their temporarily, hence the reason there is one, upon notice I saw their was a small amount of red algae within the tank. From research I saw they are known for their ability to eat red algae. The temperature of the tank at the moment is kept at exactly 79 degrees which is fine for all three species ( please correct me if I am wrong):)

8. OP
    OP
    J

JR- New Member Member

Thanks for the reply. I might look into getting a bigger canister but I have a fluval 206 at home I am not using, I think I might run the 205 and 206 together.

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You're not overstocked, but I'd definitely rehome at least one of the angelfish.
    SAEs need cooler than 79 F long term.