50 Gallon Tank Set Up

1. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Hey guys! This is how i have my 50gallon tank set up. Anything i should add/change?
    (the sticker in the bottom corner is not actually on the glass it still has the paper back on it) 20170713_171907.jpg

2. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Hi Prince,

What's your full stocking list?

Fanatic

3. William_Wallace Initiate Member

Nice setup... A solid black (or blue) background might look cool and hide some cords. Taller plants in back and shorter ones in front add depth to a tank. You could consider moving some plants to the right side as well...but solid tank!

4. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

7 female bettas
    2 drawf gouramis (i have a 30g incase they get aggressive)
    1 BN pleco
    1 electrick yellow cichlid
    1 peacock cichlid
    1 platy
    1 black skirt (out lived his buddies)
    and 1 red tail shark

Ok thank you! Which type of plants do you recomend using? I just have amazon swords so far

5. William_Wallace Initiate Member

Well I'm still experimenting with plants and cichlids myself. Anubias and Java ferns are good since they are bitter (anubias shouldn't be buried in substrate though...tie to driftwood or rock). Moss balls are fun too. I have wisteria now but the cichlids often uproot it.

6. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Ok awesome! Ill try some java ferns and moss and if i can get a fishing line ill try to tie some anubias onto the ships!

7. William_Wallace Initiate Member

I'm asking because I don't know...are all those fish compatible?

8. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

I don't quite understand how bettas, and cichlids can be compatible.
    IMO, I don't think you have an ideal stocking right now.

9. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Not typically. My cichlids are used to being in a community tank (Their owner had them in a molly and platy tank) but the other fish are normally fine together :)

10. William_Wallace Initiate Member

May want to do more research...those bettas may not survive in that tank long term

11. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Theyre used to being in a community tank (their old owner had them in one for about 6ish years) my bettas stay up at the top and ignore the other fish and the cichlids stay in the mid/bottom :)

Ok i will, theyve all been together so far for about 2 years. Ill get a backup tank incase