50 Gallon Stocking

1. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

Would there be any problems / suggestions with this stocking for a 50 gal? (Dimensions 80cm l 40cm d 60cm h)

1-2 x Gold Angelfish
    4 x Honey gourami
    10 x cherry barbs
    8 x C. aeneus
    3 x Nerite snails
    15 - 20 large grown amano shrimp

This is a combinations of my two current tank stockings moving into their new big home with the angelfish additions. It will be properly planted with flora substrate topped with sand but not with CO2. I will be using a fluval 306 canister filter.

Thanks for your suggestions and help guys!

I will be buying a juvenile angel and my amanos are pretty large (bigger than the juvenile angel/s for sure) so for now thats not a problem.
  2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would swap the honeys for 2 pearl gouramis. Honeys prefer cooler water than angelfish.

Short term the angels and shrimp may be ok but that will not work long term.

I would up the cories to 12-15.
  3. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the suggestion @BottomDweller however I already keep the honeys in my current stockings and love them so I suppose I'll have to keep a 20gal running for them. Would that leave me open space for a whole new inhabitant?

Those are my cories at their current number and they are breeding so the number will hopefully naturally increase to that over time.

The Amano shrimps are super good for my tanks so far so I'll certainly miss them, but is there comething that could replace them when the angels start getting big to do their clean up job?

@JesseMoreira06 do you have any good stocking suggestions for my space and options?
  4. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Imo I don't see anything wrong with temps between anglefish and honey gourami , being at 78f it'll be fine for both. IMO it's more you have to watch out of aggression , honey gouramis are extremely docile while anglefish can sometimes be little aggressive.

I would do one or the other

1 Anglefish
    4 Honey gouramis
    8 Cherry Barbs
    8 Black Phantom Tetras
    10 bronze corys

Temp 77-78f

1 Anglefish
    2 Pearl gouramis (male/female)
    2 GBR
    10 cherry barbs
    8 bronze corys

Temp 80f

but I might add I if the shrimp fit in the fish mouth it will be eaten, Anglefish might bother them.

5. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

You would have space in the 20 for a mid dwelling school (like neons or skirt tetras) and a bottom dwelling school (like panda cories or kuhli loaches) along with the honey gouramis.

I wouldn't risk any shrimp with angels. Even if the shrimp are too big to be eaten the angels will pick at them.
  6. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

I meant for a whole new inhabitant in the big tank whoops! I'll probably just have a species tank of a lot of honeys with my shrimps in the 20 seeing as they can't be with the angels really. What else makes a good clean up crew, should I fill the honey space with some ottos or something?

Oh @JesseMoreira06 you think I have space for another school even with the gourami? Sounds awesome to me I really like that first stocking as it would also clear out a need for a 20 and could just get a 10gal shrimp tank.

My gourami are particularly docile than even normal honeys they often let shrimp hitch a ride on them without even flinching

If I was using a flicks 306 filter for this tank (designed for a 300 litre tank and this is 200 so I'm thinking I shouldn't need any other filtration) would I need some sort of circulation powerhead and would that be good/bad for any of the stocking?

7. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

You could add a clown pleco, a school of otos or mystery snails as a "clean up crew"

Instead of the honeys you could add a pair of pearl gouramis. You could also have a few GBR.
  8. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

lol the OP is going to be confused, I don't see as to why anglefish and honey gourami wouldn't be able to be together temp wise? if the temp is kept at 77f-78f.

The only potential problem I could see is the Anglefish being aggressive towards the honeys, but thats dependent on the Anglefish individual personality.

did you mean fluval 306 ?
  9. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't keep angelfish below 78f (though their ideal temperature is around 80f) and I wouldn't keep honey gouramis above 76f (though their ideal temperature is around 74f). Keeping them at 77f wouldn't be good for either.

10. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Anglefish will thrive between 78f-82f with no problems, Honey gouramis will do fine anywhere from 74f to 78f.

I guess we'll havee to agree to disagree on this one.
  11. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

I don't want any plecos for sure so I think a school of Otos is looking good actually.

Yes I meant a fluval 306, sorry! Would I need any additional filtration or circulation power heads with this tanks dimensions and stocking?
  12. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

a fluval 306 is good enough filtration for your tank, you won't need a powerhead , it's not nessecarily only large tanks really use them 125g+, you could get a air oumo with an air stone if you would like for added surface agitation to create more oxygen.

I would add Ottos to the tank last, they need established water to do well.

13. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

Ok perfect. I run air pumpsponge filters on my current tanks so that's something I already have but I was told it's the opposite of adding co2 and is bad for the plants so I've been avoiding that?

Seeing as most of the stocking is my current fish they will most certainly be last. I have heard however that they are sometimes a waste of money as they get sick very easily?
  14. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I have no idea , I have to many tanks and I don't deal with plants that need co2, I only use hardy plants thst dont even require fertz someone else will help you with that.

ya I would diffenetly wait little for your tank to be well established , ottos like to be in big groups and are sentive.
  15. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

I'll be using fish, media, planting and hardscape from my current tanks so hopefully that shouldn't be a difficult process. Thankyou for the help! I've ordered the tank now that I've put the stand up and I'll be using:

Anubias nana, Java fern, Amazon swords and a vallis background so I don't think any of those are needy plants anyway. I have all but the vallis in my current sponge filter tanks and they are fine albeit a little slow grow
  16. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

@Anders247 what do you think fo the current stocking plan we have come up with:

1-2 angel fish
    4 honey gourami
    8 cherry barbs
    6-8 albino c.aeneus
    10-15 amano shrimp (aware the angel may eventually get to these)
    4 nerite snails

Do i have space for anything else or something that should be changed?
    Also, would a fluval 306 be adequate filtration for this tank and stocking? Im just making sure i dont need to add any extras.
  17. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I think that should be fine. What type of tank is this? Never heard of a 50g that's only 30 inches long.....
  18. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Honey gouramis and angelfish are temp compatible, IMO. 80f is the highest I'd keep honey gouramis at, personally.

Also agree with Anders, the stock looks fine.
  19. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

It's not a standard tank size it's custom made to fit into a gap in my living room. Do you think this size will look odd?

Would it be a good idea to add an oto school to replace what the shrimp do or would I be overstocked? As those amano do a wonderful job of cleaning up the substrate and small areas on my current tanks.

@BottomDweller do you think this tank dimensions will look weird? I hadnt visualised it too well as its just measured to fit in a gap, but i can change it if it will look bad?
  20. Gilly Member Member

I have a 56 gallon column, and its footprint is 18" x 30" yet the height is 25." It is a bit unique. The great thing about it, despite limiting my stocking options for breeds, is that it makes planting it cheaper and IMO nicer for taller plants. Anything that is taller like this helps with diversity of schools. You can fit quite a few layers of fish in taller tanks.

If your tank is tall, it would be perfect for angels. They don't make a lot of lateral movements, but they certainly take up vertical space! The good thing is they tend to leave the tank bottom alone, so anything that hovers low or under low plant cover will get along fine.
  21. Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

I want to heavily plant the tank, but my suggested dimensions are very deep as well as tall, I think the problem may be the tanks length and i suppose if its shorter than im imagining in my head it may doisrupt viewing. The Height should be fine as its going to be home to an angel or two, im just worried that it may look strange and need a reduction in depth of an increase in length?
  22. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

If you want it to be heavily planted then be aware that it is harder to light very tall tanks.