50 Gallon stocking Blue Ram Cichlids

dbaldwin

I’m upping my freshwater-game with an AIO 50.3...
I’m thinking of using some typical volcanic gravel and thin fine gravel or sand, on the other side (for a few kuhli loaches). I’m drawn to the Blue Ram Cichlids (a couple females to decrease aggression and don’t want a breeding tank), a few dwarf otocinclus, and a bunch of ember or gold tetras. I’m not sure about the golds as they’re wild-caught. I’ve read that the Blue Rams won’t mess with tetras but don’t know.
Thoughts on experience with peaceful compatibility with these fish? Better ideas? Are 3 female Blue Rams too many? I’ve got a few months to plan due to tank back order... and fishless-cycling the tank, of course.
I’m very open to and appreciative of the feedback.

Betta'sAnonymous

Not sure on the agression level of rams besides Bolivians, but if it is similar, you shouldn't have much issue unless they are breeding. Just make sure they are all 1 gender!

carsonsgjs

dbaldwin said:
I’m upping my freshwater-game with an AIO 50.3...
I’m thinking of using some typical volcanic gravel and thin fine gravel or sand, on the other side (for a few kuhli loaches). I’m drawn to the Blue Ram Cichlids (a couple females to decrease aggression and don’t want a breeding tank), a few dwarf otocinclus, and a bunch of ember or gold tetras. I’m not sure about the golds as they’re wild-caught. I’ve read that the Blue Rams won’t mess with tetras but don’t know.
Thoughts on experience with peaceful compatibility with these fish? Better ideas? Are 3 female Blue Rams too many? I’ve got a few months to plan due to tank back order... and fishless-cycling the tank, of course.
I’m very open to and appreciative of the feedback.
As long as you break up lines of sight and the rams are able to set up their own territories, you should be fine aggression-wise. Include rocks, caves, plants, wood etc.

As embers occupy the mid levels, the rams should leave them alone too. Sounds like a nice build!

dbaldwin

carsonsgjs said:
As long as you break up lines of sight and the rams are able to set up their own territories, you should be fine aggression-wise. Include rocks, caves, plants, wood etc.

As embers occupy the mid levels, the rams should leave them alone too. Sounds like a nice build!
Thanks; much appreciated! So, Rams prefer the upper levels with caves/ territorial lines of site or lower levels?

StarGirl

Remember GBR need 82+ water temp. Pick tank mates from that. A Few tetras tolerate that high temp.

Dunk2

dbaldwin said:
Thanks; much appreciated! So, Rams prefer the upper levels with caves/ territorial lines of site or lower levels?
My Rams come to the top at feeding time, but are almost always at lower levels of the tank.

Leeman75

My Rams have always stayed near to the bottom. Not bottom dwelling like a Cory, but stay in the bottom half of the tank. If they're comfortable, I could see them maybe rising to get food if it's not sinking food and small, peaceful tankmates. Mine have always been with bigger Cichlids like Angels, EBAs, Severums, Firemouths, etc. so it's a feeding frenzy at the top and they are content to pick at what falls to the bottom.

I've never had Rams be aggressive towards anything other than other Cichlids. That includes different types of Cories, Plecos, Tetras, Platys, Rasboras, etc.

dbaldwin

StarGirl said:
Remember GBR need 82+ water temp. Pick tank mates from that. A Few tetras tolerate that high temp.
Excellent point! Any recommendations on smaller schooling fish that can enjoy 82, as well?

StarGirl

Mine paid no attention to the other fish. I had tetras and sae. They picked on the Amanos terribly.

I had Cardinal tetras with mine. Rummynose are warmer too. The ember tetras i have were fine but I think they are slightly lower temp fish... oops.

Leeman75

I think Harlequin Rasboras are good at that temp. Cardinal Tetras are right up at 81 to 82. If you're choosing based on color, the Cardinals really pop. But as for behavior, I would choose Harlequins 7 days a week over the Cardinals.
StarGirl said:
Mine paid no attention to the other fish. I had tetras and sae. They picked on the Amanos terribly.

I had Cardinal tetras with mine. Rummynose are warmer too. The ember tetras i have were fine but I think they are slightly lower temp fish... oops.
Oh the Rams and Amanos...don't get me started!!

Dunk2

dbaldwin said:
Excellent point! Any recommendations on smaller schooling fish that can enjoy 82, as well?
Some folks (Leeman75 and StarGirl) have had luck keeping Rams in a community tank, but I haven’t.

Rams can be notoriously slow eaters, so just make sure they’re not being outcompeted for food by your other stock.

Leeman75

Dunk2 said:
Some folks (Leeman75 and StarGirl) have had luck keeping Rams in a community tank, but I haven’t.

Rams can be notoriously slow eaters, so just make sure they’re not being outcompeted for food by your other stock.
You are absolutely right! My Bolivian that I have now is one that I have to keep an eye on to make sure that food is getting to him. Initially, I was overfeeding to do so, and that caused algae and a much dirtier tank for my weekly WCs. He eventually found his groove on eating around such ravenous and exuberant eaters and I have been able to scale back on the food that I feed. It's all about monitoring and troubleshooting.

I'll add that one technique that has worked well is to have floating food at the top for the crazy eaters and sinking pellets to get to the Rams and Cories. In a tank with shoaling fish at the mid/top, I'd do some flakes. For the Rams and Cories, I do sinking mini pellets. Omega One is my go to for those. I love their Mini Color pellets and their Color Flakes. My fish like them quite a bit too!

dbaldwin

Leeman75 said:
I think Harlequin Rasboras are good at that temp. Cardinal Tetras are right up at 81 to 82. If you're choosing based on color, the Cardinals really pop. But as for behavior, I would choose Harlequins 7 days a week over the Cardinals.

Oh the Rams and Amanos...don't get me started!!
Oh, I like those harlequins! Thanks!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom