50 gallon on second floor

TheNaturalist

Hey there, I'm new to the website and have been researching extensively in freshwater aquariums and aquascaping. Before I go any further I've been more importantly researching the structure of my house. That being said I'm aware that most people suggest placing your aquarium perpendicular to the floor joists as to support the most weight. In researching tank sizes and their relative weight when filled with water, substrate, fish and not to mention the stand. Considering all this I measured my "man cave" and where I'd like to place the tank/stand, then looked at the floor joists positions down stairs and found that if I put the tank parallel in the spot I chose it will sit right atop a joist on a load bearing wall in the smallest room in the house. I'm going to attempt to attach some pictures. Any insights on this is appreciated I'm very excited to start in this awsome hobby and I'm just trying to be as carefull and prepared as possible. Thanks for reply's.

Claire Bear

HI and welcome!
Wow, I just bought a 46g and my husband hauled it upstairs. It is against a center wall in our bedroom that separates a sort of closet/desk area. We live in a dome btw. I anxiously await other replies and glad to have you on FL!

bellachan

I have a 75 gallon tank on the main floor. We have a basement. When you think of all the heavy furniture and appliances that stay at the same spot in the house, or even when you fill up your tub when you take a bath, that's a lot of weight! We have no issues. If you want to play it safe though, basement is always the way to go! Seems like you're taking all the right precautions though. You should be ok

ryanr

Hi, welcome to Fishlore

The following might help answer your question:

FreshBoo

I had a Queen size water bed on the second floor for years.....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bigdreams
Replies
Views
Danny002
Replies
Views
Caleb Smith
Replies
Views