50 Gallon Nano?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by DCJ, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DCJ

DCJ Valued Member Member

Hey Loreans

Now that I've run out of room for any new tanks, I've been considering overhauling my current tanks. I've got a 15 and a 12 gallon that I've been considering replacing with a 50 gallon (something like a 36" long x 18" wide x 19" tall) before reordering the stocking.

It'd still be black background, black sand, low light plants (Java fern, crypts, vals) driftwood etc, low lighting (the current tanks are dim lit and it looks pretty good, I think the fish appreciate it too)

I'd be keeping my current stock but increasing the numbers; I'm considering something like:

18 x Lampeye Killifish
    14 x Ember Tetras
    20 x Dainty Cory (Habrosus)
    8 x Sparkling Gourami
    and adding 10 x Clown Killifish
    with maybe some shrimp guys of some kind, bloody marys or red sakura, I'm not sure

I've run this through AqAdvisor for an initial glaring mistake check and haven't found any, so now I'm coming to you guys for an actual error check and for suggestions/obvious problems/overstocked/understocked/add more/add less/add insteads

I could also go up a size tank in height but I've maxed out in length and width

Thank you as ever guys, I always appreciate your input

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That looks OK to me.

3. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Great fish, I have all but embers, and clown killis are planned :)

Just want to mention that the sparkling gouramis like to stare at their food for a bit before they take a bite.
    The Lampeyes are pigs and eat everything and as much as they can within seconds.
    Just make sure that the gouramis are not outcompeted.

4. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a great tank! Love the stock.

5. OP
    OP
    DCJ

DCJ Valued Member Member

@Anders247 Thank you for giving your opinion! Would you add or adjust any thing?

@Piaelliott Thank you for weighing in! I have all but the killis, which I've never had before but I'm looking forward to keeping. Can I ask, what kind of scape do you have for your lampeyes? Mine tend to stay at the bottom level a lot more than I was expecting and I'm not sure if I need to give them more space at the top to swim - it's currently populated by a lot of val growth

@MattS99 Thank you for taking the time to respond, I'm going to have to wait a bit to get the money for the tank but I can't wait until it's up and running :)

6. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If it were me I'd do less killifish, to be honest.

8. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Sounds nice! I love the idea of lots of small fish in a large tank!

9. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

You're welcome! My next tank will probably be a nano community.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice