50 Gallon Betta Stock List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nik00117

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Going be doing a planted, 50 gallon tank and here's my stock list. Please review and let me know what ya think:

(BTW the Betta will be the last fish to go in)

1 Betta
10 Cherry Shrimp
6 Cories
10 Zebra Fish
10 Cherry Barbs
6 Golden Molly (All females)

Is this over crowded?

My plan for adding:

1st Cycle the tank with plants
2nd Add my 10 Zebra Fish wait
2 weeks
3rd 6 cories
Week 2 weeks
4th add 10 Cherry Shrimp
Wait 2 weeks
5th Add 6 Golden Molly
Wait 2 weeks
6th 10 Cherry Barbs
Wait 2 weeks
Add the Betta

When I kept fish before I found adding a Betta last was the best method.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I would like to recommend that the betta be kept in an aquarium, heated and filtered, on its own with no other tank mates. Tank mates for this fish are not always appreciated. Too, other fish may do harm to the bettas fins. A stressed betta can lead to disease, ICH, Tail biting.

Several members have tried bettas in community tanks and it doesn't always turn out for the best.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-archive/2218-welcome-betta-care-guide-please-read-first.html

Hold on for more responses.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello

Are the zebra fish you are referring to danios?

I agree with Ken as a betta mummy myself I would not put one in a community tank especially with danios they are too fast and can be nippy and will more than likely stress the betta. Also barbs could be bothersome to the betta.

I would definitely in my experience leave the betta out. If you really want one then you could get a separate 5 gallon or more heated filtered and cycled and keep a betta and you won't regret it they are amazing little fish.

I do like your stocking list but without the betta

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I mean no offence to those that have had bad experiances with community tanks with bettas... I own 2 tanks and both are community(ish) with bettas... Mozart is housed with snails and shrimp (that is where the ish came from and the other betta, Harmony, he is housed with 6 black neon tetra, 4 otos, 4 albino cries, and 2 ghost shrimp that i missed when giving the colony to my brother... no fin nipping or shrimp eating... I fully realize that my two may be a fluke to the system but I've never had a betta have issues with other fish, not of their own species...

However I do advise caution and you keep a 2nd tank ready, 5 gallon at least, just in case your betta turns to the dark side :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 61 65.6%

Top Bottom