50 gallon/210L Central American community cichlid stocking

njb235

I currently have 1 rainbow cichlid in 26 gallon tank and absolutely love it and really want to dive a bit deeper into Central American cichlids so I’m going to upgrade my tank, so I was wondering what species would be appropriate for a tank size of around 50 gallons. The fish I’d be interested in keeping so far would be
- pair of rainbow cichlids
- 1 cryptoheros panamensis
- 1 Honduran red point
- 1 cryptoheros saijica
- 1 firemouth

what combo of these fish would work? Would I need to get mainly females to reduce aggression? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well thanks!

njb235

Anyone got any thoughts?

Upvote 0

GlennO

You could try 4 or 5 of those as singles of the same sex to minimise aggression and hybridisation. It may or may not work depending on individual temperaments so you may have to rehome one or more if issues arise. Mixed CA’s often involve some trial and error in establishing a compatible community. I suspect that the CP and/or HRP will be more dominant than firemouths, rainbows & sajica. The latter 3 I have tried together without problems. I also had a C. spilurus with them. I think they are less aggressive than CP.

Upvote 0

Islandvic

Interesting combination.

Are you looking at getting a 4ft 55g tank?

Rainbow cichlids are great, I have 2 in our community tank.

Have you kept those crypto's before ?

Upvote 0

njb235

Interesting combination.

Are you looking at getting a 4ft 55g tank?

Rainbow cichlids are great, I have 2 in our community tank.

Have you kept those crypto's before ?
Yes definitely a 4ft tank and no I haven’t. How are their temperaments?

Upvote 0

Islandvic

Nope, sure haven't.

If you want a less aggressive cichlid, consider a couple of Electric Blue Acaras, some Rainbow Cichlids and then 1 Severum as the centerpiece.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
stevieb246
Replies
Views
heatherbeehappy
Replies
Views
A201
Replies