50-55 Gallon Cichlids Tank

Finn
Hi, I am going to get a 50-55 gallon fish tank. I wanted to get peacock cichlids, 10-11. I need to know if this is ok. If so, how many males and how many females.

Taylor Jenson
Do you plan to breed them?

Finn
Hi, thanks for the response. No I don't plan to breed them

Scope
I had two large peacock bass in my 55 11 inches and 9 inches along with a 4 inch, also I had a spotted tilapia and a bluegill and the tank is pretty crowded with those fish

Innocent159
I have 12 mix cichlids. Some peacocks and malawi. Need to rehome two male ob peacocks as my dragon blood male rules.

Also found out today my yellow lab is a male. Starting to get his spots

Finn
Are they all ok in there ?

Innocent159
Not the ob peacock. Male Dragon blood chase them so they in hiding.

With cichlids you will get occasionally chases and some fighting for territory so its not always as bad as people say. As long as everyone is healthy and happily swiming.

My malawI is pregnant so she hides but come out when I'm near. Dragon blood chase the other females if they try and come close to the pregnant female

Finn
So should I be ok if I do 10 males of just peacocks ? If not can you think up a different stock list ?

MikeRad89
I had two large peacock bass in my 55 11 inches and 9 inches along with a 4 inch, also I had a spotted tilapia and a bluegill and the tank is pretty crowded with those fish

The OP is referring to MalawI peacock cichlids.

A single peacock bass needs something like 500 gallons.

Al913
I suggest you start a new thread of your 55 gallon, you have some problems. I hope you know these fish need at least a 250 gallon tank since they get 2 feet and bigger!

Innocent159
So should I be ok if I do 10 males of just peacocks ? If not can you think up a different stock list ?
Male tanks are pretty. You need to know how to introduce the fish but 10 males shouldn't be so difficult

Usually people suggest buying juviniles and than splitting them. Cheaper and fish will be happier growing together

Are they all ok in there ?
Had to share this.
After water changes and slight rearrangement the ob peacocks is swimming around. Will check in a few hours and observe them.
Will let you know.
If you go all lake MalawI you will be fine

Big Red
Cichlidnut
TexasDomer Anders247 are the best around here.

Finn
How should I introduce them ?

TexasDomer
I'm not good with rift lake cichlid stocking, sorry

I do know that for introductions, you should add them all at the same time so they can all establish territories on even footing. If you add some later, they might be bullied.

Innocent159
I'm not good with rift lake cichlid stocking, sorry

I do know that for introductions, you should add them all at the same time so they can all establish territories on even footing. If you add some later, they might be bullied.
Or try and introduce new fish after rearranging the tank.
Someone also advised me to remove the fish that already has its territory when introducing new fish.

Finn
Ok, thank you.

Anders247
Peacock cichlids need a 75 gallon min. Peacock bass need 500g+

matt79d
Don't listen to me, I'm sure Andres knows 10x the amount of info that I do.. but when watching the YouTube videos from that bald guy who owns a shop (sorry, only way I can describe him).. he says take the gallons and divide by 2.. so if you have a 100 gallon, that would be 50. Then for mbanu divide by 1.5, peacocks divide by 2 and haps divide by 3..

So to use a 100 gallon for example, 100/2=50, 50/2=25... so with great filtration the max you could put in is 25 peacocks in a 100 gallon.. just doing the math, if you had a 50 gallon, then maybe 13?

And like I said, I'm sure Anders knows better.. it if you really wanted them and it's like a 55 gallon long (4ft) you could probably fit em in.. maybe not as many to give them room?

fissh
You can easily keep 12 peacocks in a 55. If its just going to be a show tank I would have all males. The peacocks that seem to be the biggest trouble makers that I've had are the blood red, red shoulder, and ob. They out compete most of the smaller guys. If you have enough filter, lots of rocks and some fake plants, and are willing to change half the water once a week you could put in 15 to 20 males. It is best to add at least 4 to 6 new fish at a time, that way they share the beating that will happen to all new guys. I like to give the tank a heavy feeding while I'm releasing the new guys. I do it at night and turn the lights off after they're done feeding and just before the start to beat on the new guys.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Turnkeyagenda24
Replies
Views
platy21
Replies
Views
Ernest Sacco
Replies
Views