50/55 gallon additions?

Evergreen2

So in starting my 50 gallon(I think), I fell in love with some guppies, long story short, I'm trying to figure out what else I could add to the tank. Would something like a pearl gourami work? I did some research and it seems to go either way. Or would I be better off with another small schooling fish?

What I have currently in quarantine and in the tank.

7x Guppies
4xBlack band Cory(Will add more, ran low on quarantine space. Total will end up at about 8-12 probably.)
4xLongfin zebra danios(I plan on adding one more, possibly two}
1xHighfin platy

Madchild57

Evergreen2 said:
So in starting my 50 gallon(I think), I fell in love with some guppies, long story short, I'm trying to figure out what else I could add to the tank. Would something like a pearl gourami work? I did some research and it seems to go either way. Or would I be better off with another small schooling fish?

What I have currently in quarantine and in the tank.

7x Guppies
4xBlack band Cory(Will add more, ran low on quarantine space. Total will end up at about 8-12 probably.)
4xLongfin zebra danios(I plan on adding one more, possibly two}
1xHighfin platy
As far as gouramis go, I like honeys or sunset thick lipped gouramis. Since you have a 50 gallon, try one or two sunset thick lipped gouramis, they have tons of personality and are a lot more outgoing than honeys. Just not 2 males.
Edit: they're also well behaved

OP
E

Evergreen2

So I know it depends on the fish personality, with two that would be a female and a male? And they should be fine with adult gupps?

Madchild57

Evergreen2 said:
So I know it depends on the fish personality, with two that would be a female and a male? And they should be fine with adult gupps?
Yeah or two females, just not 2 males because they might be fight. Sunset thick lipped/honey gouramis are among the most peaceful gouramis.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
I've had pearl gouramis with a wide variety of tank mates and haven't had any issues.

JakeXP

I've a blue dwarf gourami in my 50~ gallon community tank alongside guppies, mollies, a bristlenose pleco, and bronze and albino cory. I heard similar that it could go either way, but they're all fine together now. I found that it was the mollies who picked on the DG to begin with and I had to time them out frequently to get them to stop.

OP
E

Evergreen2

JakeXP said:
I've a blue dwarf gourami in my 50~ gallon community tank alongside guppies, mollies, a bristlenose pleco, and bronze and albino cory. I heard similar that it could go either way, but they're all fine together now. I found that it was the mollies who picked on the DG to begin with and I had to time them out frequently to get them to stop.
Good to know, I'm probably sticking to just platys, I'm probably going to add a female or two for my male.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Evergreen2 said:
How many? One or two? JettsPapa
Three. I thought it was a male and two females, but as they're getting older I'm starting to think its the opposite.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
JettsPapa said:
Three. I thought it was a male and two females, but as they're getting older I'm starting to think its the opposite.
Hi, sorry to jump in.
Your Pearls? Could you post a picture of them, curious as to why you think that :)

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hi, sorry to jump in.
Your Pearls? Could you post a picture of them, curious as to why you think that :)
I'll try to do that later today, on a separate thread.

New Threads